Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Reusable "feminine products"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reusable "feminine products"
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After reading the posts about menstrual cups, I was just wondering if anyone uses reusable pads. I think they're a really good idea. They're a little extra work, but I think trying to incorporate them into your life even a few times each period is a good way to cut down on costs and waste. I've used them off and on for a few years. I've never tried the keeper (much more expensive) but it seems like a good idea.
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just started using both the Keeper and washable pads. I had to trim the little tab on my Keeper because it was uncomfortable at first, but other than that I have no complaints. I think the price, which was about 30 US dollars, is very reasonable. I can use it for 10-15 years. If you think about the cost of tampons and pads, the Keeper isn't that expensive at all. The washable pads were fine too.
Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess you're right, the price of the Keeper is pretty reasonable (it's like $40 or $50 Canadian...) but I don't think it's worth it for me. I hardly ever wear tampons, so I probably wouldn't wear it much. I'm a total cheapskate; I make my own pads out of flannel, so they cost me maybe ten cents each
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
d1TzY8
Activist
Member # 372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for d1TzY8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me...that sounds kinda gross...

I have never heard of "reusable pads". I imagine you wash them...but isnt that kinda unsanitary?!

------------------
WoRD!

Posts: 316 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where can you get those little cups? I think they're called Instead? Because I've been looking at my local Vons and Smith's and they're just not there! I think it's a great idea, but, if anyone has used them, how long can you use them? Like how many hours before you change and how long can you keep the cup?

Brittany

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's unsanitary to wear reusable pads. As long as you wash them properly it's not gross at all. It's sortof the same idea as reusable diapers :P
Also, I figure that we don't sterilize our underwear, we just wash them. Same idea with pads... anyway, I've used them for a couple of years, and I haven't gotten sick, and I don't find that they smell worse. If you're curious, I say try them for yourself and decide if you like them.

bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Menstural blood though it may look dark and dirty, is not. When you are done using a reusable pad, you simple rinse it or soak it and then let it dry and then throw it in the wash. Just like you would if you accidently stained your undies. The pads are often made in dark materials so after washing you don't really notice the stains.

As for the Keeper, you can learn more about it here at their offical site or here at Eco Logique.

Tomorrow I am going to be using it for my second time (period cycle wise) and I'll share any updates if you would like.

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In truth, either all-cotton pads (which you can usually only get at natural foods stores) or washable cotton pads you reuse are HEALTHIER for you. Like commercial tampons, commercial pads usually use filler fibers like rayon, which can contribute to vaginal or yeast infections.

If you wash and soak anything in boling water, it's fully sanitized.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
silkae
Neophyte
Member # 1047

Icon 1 posted      Profile for silkae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For Rizzo on making your own washable pads: SMART GIRL
I ordered mine from a local company; they're on the way and I can't wait to have them on hand. I use the Keeper, mostly. But I'd like to use pads at night and the panty liner for extra light days. I don't even care if they get stained - no one will be looking at them except for me.

Posts: 5 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
silver_chick
Neophyte
Member # 890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for silver_chick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i would NEVER use a reuseable pad! that'd just be gross. How can u even look at something like that again knowing it had blood all over it? ewwww.....
Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Silver_chick, there is nothing really gross about menstrual blood. Of course you don't want to get it all over everything, and it's annoying, but it's not a dirty thing, and if you wash something that has had blood (menstrual or otherwise) on it in boiling water, then it's completely sanitary. The idea that it is dirty is more of a social conception than a reality.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what exactly is a keeper?

------------------
u arent worthless if you can make someone laugh

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
d1TzY8
Activist
Member # 372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for d1TzY8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im a way, i agree with silver chick..

------------------
WoRD!

Posts: 316 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Pink, read my post above. It has a link to sites about the Keeper.

When my mother was younger they didn't have disposable pads so they made their own. I told her the other day that I now use reusables and she told me about how she used to make hers and the system they had to clean them (3 gals in the house, plus her mother). It seemed to work just fine except back then they had to use safety pins to keep them attached. My reusable ones stay on with the help of a snap. I am quite happy with them.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If bodily fluids were dirty, unsanitary or unholy, we'd have to buy disposable clothes, too, kiddos. And plates and glasses. And toothbrushes. Or sanitize the kids we give birth to. I mean, really. I'm willing to bet you don't dress every day in paper clothes you throw away.

I'm sure that you don't keep yourselves from kissing your partners or partcipating in sexual acts with them because their bodily fluids are gross, no?

Menstrual blood isn't unclean, and really, isn't blood at all -- technically, it is uterine lining.

The notion that menstrual blood is gross or unclean (which is what people thought for centuries because they had no idea where it came from and were very superstitious) has really helped contribute to things that have opressed women and made them loathe thri own bodies.

In a nutshell: I'd advise you get past that idea. It's simply based in ignorance.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.