Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Painful urination.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Painful urination.
Liek
Neophyte
Member # 40444

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Liek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, It's horrible, and I'm not sure whats wrong with me. It doesn't hurt EVERY time, but its especially bad in the morning. I'll try to explain it to you.

At first it doesn't hurt, when i start peeing, then just before im completely done it hurts extremely bad. I'm left feeling like i still have to go. It feels like I've been holding it in for hours and hours, that kind of pain.

Theres no strange things like pus or discharge. I can't go to my family doctor, because my grandmother comes with me when I go, into the room and everything, and if this turns out to be an STD or STI than I'll have to explain that I've been having sex.

Any suggestions on what this might be?

Posts: 9 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Painful urination is a symptom of UTI, so you will have to see your doctor to get a diagnosis and treatment.

Your grandmother also doesn't have to come with you into the examination room: There is such a thing as confidentiality between the doctor and the patient, and you are old enough to talk to the doctor by yourself. So, you can ask your grandmother to wait outside, and you can also ask the doctor to back you up in this.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liek
Neophyte
Member # 40444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just used to her coming in with me I guess. Our appointments are always the same day/time. so we just go in together to speed it up.

I mentioned it to her a few hours after I posted this. So she knows now. I'm still kind of worried

Posts: 9 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
acgal
Neophyte
Member # 36192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for acgal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just try to get to the doctors as quick as possible. A UTI is a urinary tract infection, so that means its an infection. You need to be put on antibiotics to kill the infection. Then you can pee again!

Just keep in mind that the antibiotics kill all the bacteria in the urinary tract, often causing a yeast infection. So don't be surprised if you get one of those - it's an unfortunate side effect of the antibiotics. Your general physician might give you a prescription to do a prophylactic treatment, meaning that you'll take the pill before you get symptoms of the yeast infection so the drug is in your system combating it before it flares up.

But that totally depends if your doctor discovers that you really do have a UTI. If you do, it's an easy fix, so it should clear up relatively quickly. And make sure, if you do get antibiotics, to take all the pills even if you can pee again. That way the infection won't come back with a resistance to the antibiotic, which would really suck. haha

I hope you understood all that. If you need me to clear anything up just ask.

Posts: 35 | From: NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
acgal
Neophyte
Member # 36192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for acgal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And FYI, it's not unusual to get a UTI, so it's not something to be embarrassed about. I get them all the time (unfortunately) and most of the time don't know it! So you really shouldn't have to worry about your grandmother knowing - it's just a normal part of being human. haha
Posts: 35 | From: NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liek
Neophyte
Member # 40444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I have a checkup on the 20th of this month, so I'll have to wait until then to bring it up.
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You really don't want to wait until the 20th be seen about this. Like acgal said, a UTI really needs to be treated quickly. It's harmless enough, but if you let it sit, it can get worse and potentially lead to other problems. Not to mention that you're obviously in pain, and there's just no reason to draw that out any longer than you ahve to.

Again, UTIs happen to everyone, so there is no reason to discuss being sexually active. Just give your doctor a call and let them know your symptoms, and I'm sure they'll ask you to come in within the next couple of days.

(On a side note, you'll really want to reconsider being sexually active at this point if it's this difficult for you to get adequate health care and to be honest about being sexually active. Part of being ready for sex is also being ready for possible risks and consequences, and if you're not able to see a doctor on your own, that sounds to me like you're not in a position where you can handle those risks.)

[ 10-09-2008, 02:40 AM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
acgal
Neophyte
Member # 36192

Not to mention, a UTI can travel to your kidneys, and that can lead to potentially deadly conditions. If you call your doctor and describe your symptoms, trust me, they'll try to fit you in as quick as possible.
Liek
Neophyte
Member # 40444

I have gone on my own with sexually related problems, I'm just not sure if it was a UTI or some sex related infection. I'm pretty sure none of you would like going to a check up and be told, infront of your grandmother, that you have an STD. If I knew for sure it was something like that I would just go to the sexual health clinic myself. But since I wasn't sure, I didn't want to risk my grandmother knowing im sexually active.
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can easily go on your own for sexually related problems, can't you go by yourself, somewhere, to get treated, while keeping your appt for the checkup?

You can call your doctor and explain, or look for a walk-in clinic around you since you're used to getting your own care. This has been suggested already, but you haven't said why it wouldn't be a viable option.

Like they've said, a potential UTI is NOT something to screw around with. You don't want a high fever, pelvic/back pain, and severe nausea/vomiting when the infection spreads to your kidneys to learn that lesson.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liek
Neophyte
Member # 40444

It's extremely hard to get across town to get to a doctors office. I don't drive, and I don't take buses. I'll end up just asking my grandmother to take me to the walk-in. because if i don't, I won't be getting there.
What will they be giving me anyways? Like, a prescription im guessing.

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An antibiotic to kill the bacteria, plus perhaps a pain pill that turns your pee funny colors so that urinating is more comfortable for you until the infection clears.
Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liek
Neophyte
Member # 40444

wait.. they're going to make me pee funny colors?
That seems a little pointless

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

The colours are a side effect, not the point of the medication. But if you just go and talk to a doctor and get the treatment you NEED, they'll explain all of this to you, as well.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to be clear as well, based on your posts you've had this for at least a week. At this point, it's crucial that you get to the doctor and get this seen ASAP. And I can speak to that from personal experience. I had a UTI that went undiagnosed too long. (I got it after I delivered my son, but didn't notice the symptoms because the pain medication I was taking masked the symptoms.) By the time I got it treated, they said I was about 1 day from needing to be admitted to the hospital. The tiny bit of burning I did notice turned into a 103 degree fever, vomiting, chills, shaking so bad I couldn't function, etc. really really quickly. So you really need to get this seen early this week. If it is a UTI, it needs to be treated now.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlyKat
Neophyte
Member # 40627

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlyKat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Liek:
Yep, It's horrible, and I'm not sure whats wrong with me. It doesn't hurt EVERY time, but its especially bad in the morning. I'll try to explain it to you.

At first it doesn't hurt, when i start peeing, then just before im completely done it hurts extremely bad. I'm left feeling like i still have to go. It feels like I've been holding it in for hours and hours, that kind of pain.

Theres no strange things like pus or discharge. I can't go to my family doctor, because my grandmother comes with me when I go, into the room and everything, and if this turns out to be an STD or STI than I'll have to explain that I've been having sex.

Any suggestions on what this might be?

Posts: 1 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liek
Neophyte
Member # 40444

I went and got it checked out, and for the next five days I'll have to take a very LARGE white pill, and a tinytiny black pill. Not even an hour after taking them I found out what yous ment about the funny color pee. It's very... weird, to see bright orange.
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Yup. But it DOES feel better to pee, huh? :)

Hope you feel better!

Liek
Neophyte
Member # 40444

I'm so happy to be able to pee again haha.

Apparently the antibiotics can give me a yeast infection though :|

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.