Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Hereditary???? maybe.....?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hereditary???? maybe.....?
Stephanie101
Activist
Member # 37085

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Stephanie101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not exactly where to post this..so u can move it if u want lol I just dont care who replies [Big Grin]

I was going to ask if breast cancer is hereditary? because my gramma on my dads side had it but its gone now, does this mean I should get checked for it

--------------------
stephh!

Posts: 88 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iamfree
Activist
Member # 35227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iamfree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not at all an expert, so you should check with a doctor, but I do believe that breast cancer runs in families. But that does not mean that you will automatically get it just because your mother or grandmother had it.

In any case, it is recommended that women of a certain age get mammograms every year precisely to check if everything is OK. However, you don't need to worry about breast cancer until you're in your thirties or forties. It really doesn't happen in young women.

Posts: 149 | From: Costa Rica | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hulder Folke
Neophyte
Member # 37016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hulder Folke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't happen frequently in young women, but as my young male friend who has prostate cancer can tell you, there are always exceptions.
Iamfree gives good advice, and I don't believe she meant to mitigate her first statement with her second.
Yearly exams, and if possible frequent self checks, are a good policy. Your gynecologist will probably do so during your yearly exams.

Posts: 8 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About 5% to 10% of breast cancer cases are thought to be hereditary, resulting directly from gene changes (called mutations) inherited from a parent. Certain of these can cause an increased risk for developing cancer and are responsible for the cancers that run in some families. For example, the BRCA genes (BRCA1 and BRCA2) are tumor suppressor genes and mutations in these genes can be inherited from one's parents. When mutated, they no longer function to suppress abnormal growth, and cancer is more likely to develop.

Genetic testing can identify some women who have inherited mutations in the BRCA1 or BRCA2 tumor suppressor genes (or less commonly in other genes such as PTEN or p53). These women can then take steps to reduce their risk of developing breast cancers and to monitor changes in their breasts carefully to find cancer at an earlier, more treatable stage. If you speak with your doctors they would be better able to inform you of your options as far as testing and prevantative care goes.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie101
Activist
Member # 37085

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank you [Big Grin]

--------------------
stephh!

Posts: 88 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.