Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Menstrual Cups

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Menstrual Cups
HepBettie
Neophyte
Member # 31038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HepBettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question, I've started using menstrual cups and I've yet to figure out when is the time to change them. Is there a sure way to know when to like with tampons/pads?

--------------------
"We drink to your coffin.
May it be built from the wood of a hundred year old oak tree that I shall plant tomorrow."
-Irish Toast

Posts: 20 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, how often a cup needs to be emptied depends on how heavily you are bleeding on that particular day.

One strategy is to start off checking your cup every few hours, maybe just whenever you go to the toilet.

Then you'll find you get a sense of whether you need to check it that often, or whether you can ignore it a while longer.

Like a lot of things with menstrual cups, it takes a bit of practice at first, but you'll likely find you get the hang of it pretty soon [Smile] .

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LollySocks
Activist
Member # 31077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LollySocks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what's a "mentrual cup"?

--------------------
break down, rebuild, repeat.

Posts: 64 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A fantastically cool gadget [Big Grin] .

Basically, it's a little cup made out of rubber or silicone which sits in your vagina and collects your menstrual blood. Instead of changing a tampon or towel, you just empty and wash the cup and re-insert it.

Check out the Sexual Health and Medicine FAQ if you're interested - we've got a whole bunch of threads with people discussing menstrual cups.

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HepBettie
Neophyte
Member # 31038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HepBettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind next time my flow comes about. But with the brand I got they're disposable, which is good for me because I don't want to take the time to wash out a cup and change it, it would especially be awkward in a public setting or at another person's home.

--------------------
"We drink to your coffin.
May it be built from the wood of a hundred year old oak tree that I shall plant tomorrow."
-Irish Toast

Posts: 20 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, HepBettie, check out that fAQ and the websites for some of the reusable cups -

The time it takes to pour out and rinse the cup is probably about the same time it takes to pull out a tampon/remove a pad, and then dispose of the tampon/pad and get a new one, plus because of the way the cups hold your menstrual flow, you're actually a lot less likely to need to have your fingers/hands touch it than you would having to pull out a tampon.

Also, as far as using the cup in a public restroom or at another person's house, the cup doesn't need to be rinsed every time you change it, is is possible for you to take it out, pour it out, then put it back in and just rinse it the next time you change it. You also need to change it a lot less than you need to change a pad or tampon. And if you think about it, it couldn't be that much different from having to dispose of and change your tampon at another person's house.

So, defintiely check it out a bit more so you have all the facts to compare [Smile]

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

For what it's worth, I've actually found the re-usable cup way easier than pads to deal with in unfamiliar places or other people's homes, because I don't have to worry about finding somewhere to dispose of it, or having to take my bag along to the toilet to get a fresh pad, etc.

--------------------

LollySocks
Activist
Member # 31077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LollySocks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i still really don't understand how they /work/. picture of one maybe? it does sound like a fantastically cool gadget indeed! [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 64 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the DivaCup website: www.divacup.com (particularly their Q&A section).

Essentially, once inserted, a menstrual cup sits fairly low in your vagina, held in place by a bit of suction and the fact that the vaginal walls will sort of "grab on" to anything placed in the vaginal canal.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mellygirl
Activist
Member # 28588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mellygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been seriously thinking about getting a divacup, but I do have one question left...
Because it doesnt absorb like a tampon would, when you lay down, doesn't the flow "fall out" of the cup? Couldn't that possible be bad? I don't know, maybe it's just because it's so different than what I've used... I read all the faq's at the website, but feel still a bit unsure about that and was wondering if someone who's tried it could answer. Thanks! [Smile]

--------------------
*Melanny*

Posts: 175 | From: Midwest US | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. The seal formed is air and water-tight due the factors Karybu described above. I'd imagine that flow doesn't stay entirely confined in the cup if you're, say, standing on your head, but I'm pretty sure it would just re-collect in the cup anyway.

Really, truly can't recommend you give it a try enough. I had a lot of problems with tampons and all things penetrating, but I've found bearing the discomfort is still so worth it. It's great to just put it in, medicate myself to reduce cramps, and continue buisness as usual -- with only needing to worry about it every 8-12 hours, I often forget about the whole thing!

Besides, the cup has a 1 year money back guarantee and lots of excellent support communities (poke around livejournal and other like sites for some good ones) so you've got nothing to lose even if you hit a few bumps. [Smile]

[ 11-14-2006, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Just wanted to quickly add my experience with the Divacup here. I've been using it for several months now, and I've never looked back.

I've never had problems with leakage; not while sleeping, and not even while rolling, flipping and being thrown in my martial arts class. I was worried about the Divacup standing up to the rigors of martial arts, but it definitely passed the test. I don't have to worry at all anymore.

I can't recommend it enough, and I keep nagging my friends to get one, lol.

[Smile]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LollySocks
Activist
Member # 31077

but where do you get one? does it have to be ordered from a website??

--------------------

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your two domestic choices are The Keeper and The DivaCup. The websites are as follows:

http://www.keeper.com/

http://www.divacup.com/

Information for both is listed on the respective sites.

I would recommend the DivaCup above the Keeper; it's cheaper, it has a 1-year guarantee compared to 3 months, you can sterilize it by boiling it, and it's made of medical grade silicone compared to rubber, which can harden over time and cause latex sensitivities in some people.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LollySocks
Activist
Member # 31077

so, you can't just buy them in stores then?

cuz it'd be pretty awkward to ask my mom "hey! can i borrow your credit card to buy a mentrual cup online?" yeah, real awkward...

--------------------

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

The DivaCup has a store locator on its site.. you can type in your zip code/ city state and it'll list the stores near you that carry them (if any). You could also call your local health food store and ask them to order one for you.

The only thing to bear in mind is to make SURE the store you buy it from honors the 1-year return guarantee: while it's exceptionally rare that somebody absolutely hates their cup, it does happen.. not to mention it puts your mind at rest when first trying it out!

If you want to buy directly from them, you can obtain a money order from a local grocery store or bank and mail it in with the order form. It'll take considerably longer for you to recieve, though. [Smile]

LollySocks
Activist
Member # 31077

--------------------

LunaPooka
Neophyte
Member # 31663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LunaPooka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"cuz it'd be pretty awkward to ask my mom "hey! can i borrow your credit card to buy a mentrual cup online?" yeah, real awkward..."

Not as awkward as explaining to my future father-in-law that the things he removed from the dryer were my washable menstrual pads! Alternative products rule! I haven't tried the diva cup and I really need too.

Posts: 5 | From: Illinois | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to know from those who use the divacup, do you feel it somehow or is it really not disturbing at all ? And can you sleep with it ?

I might be interested in trying it since now I'm only using pads which sometimes aren't the best solution when doing physical activities and sometimes even sleeping since it tend to leak sometimes.

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use both the Keeper and the Diva (I've earnestly no preference between the two), and I find I feel both less, so long as they're in correctly, than I ever felt tampons.

You can sleep with them: I still prefer sleeping with washable pads or Lunapanties to a cup, just because I don't want something in my vagina for days on end, but that's again, a matter of my personal preference.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Well, thanks. I'll think about it and I might try them.
Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(If you buy them through Lunapads, leave a note in your order comments that you're a Scarleteen user. Madeline is very supportive of us here, and sometimes gives discounts or small freebies to users.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Hey, thanks Heather for telling me that ! That's worth trying.

[ 11-30-2006, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

I first expected the cup to be mighty uncomfortable, considering the other problems I had with penetrative activity. Regardless, I was pretty overjoyed to find I had no major issues -- pop it in, stir it about, and ta-da, set it and forget it!

I can still feel it in at times. Chopping off the stem (which seems useless as hell to me) helped immensely, and anytime it becomes bothersome (rarely) it can be pushed around to find a more comfy place to settle.

(Word to the wise to anyone reading: if you're a newbie to cup use, lube is a MUST! It makes everything much more easy and comfortable, as well as prevents a lot of the soreness that can come from poking around excessively. I learned the hard way.)

(Too, you might want to check out sites/communities like menstrualcups.org for troubleshooting advice and alternative fold methods. This saved my life; the standard "U" fold in the cup instructions would simply not work for me.)

[ 11-30-2006, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

I think the stem's a bit like training wheels.

It's there to get you past the "What if I can't find the end and it's lost/stuck in there FOREVER?!?!!!" freakage.

Once you've established that this really isn't going to happen, it has no further use and is best removed to avoid irritation.

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.