Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » taking birth control for cramps

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: taking birth control for cramps
kiera
Neophyte
Member # 31486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kiera     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get really bad cramps, so bad I can barely move-I sometimes get nausea with them. My doctor said if the naproxen (strong ibuprophen) she perscribed me doesn't work (it sort of helps) I could take birth control to reduce the frequency of my periods, etc. Is this a good idea? she said a lot of girls take the pill for cramps. i feel really strange about putting all of those horomones into my body...

what i'm wondering is what are the risks of taking birth control, and how will it actually make my periods less painful?

Thanks!

-kiera

Posts: 18 | From: MPLS | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nit-pick, naproxen is not ibuprofen. the difference is like oranges and grapefruits. related, but not the same.

If you are a smoker or have a family history of strokes or blood clots, bcp is not safe for you to use. These risk factors mean you are more likely to have a blood clot or stroke while you are on bcp.

If you have a histor of severe depression, bcp is also a bad idea 'cause it can cause moodiness.

in this day and age, bcps are fairly low-dose, so you won't be pumping your body full of hormones. more like a few milligrams of estrogen and picograms of progestin. it's not a lot, and long term studie are starting to show there are limited adverse effects to being on bcp for long periods of time.

I am on bcp to control my heavy periods. before i got on bcp, my periods were causing me to be anemic. it was not good.

bcp reduces heavy bleeding and cramps by preventing the lining of your uterus to grow too thickly. the endometrial layer (lining) makes prostaglandins, which trigger smooth muscle contraction, which you feel as CRAMPS. the less endometrium you have, the less prostaglandins you make in your uterus, and the less cramping you will feel. also, with a thinner endometrium, there's less to shed during menses, hence the lighter periods.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kiera
Neophyte
Member # 31486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kiera     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, that helps a lot!
Posts: 18 | From: MPLS | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in a similar boat myself... in addition to what Gumdrop Girl's said, you might want to consider the advantage of using birth control pills over taking naproxen.

Naproxen can be very hard on your stomach, causing bleeding and such. The odds of naproxen causing bleeding increase the more you take it, and the more you take OF it, so it's definately something to be careful about.

For me, it seemed as though birth control pills were a little safer, seeing as I don't have a family history of strokes or blood clots or anything that can make the pill unsafe. It's worked pretty well thus far- my cramps barely show up anymore, and my period is much lighter and easier to handle overall!

Hope this is helpful! [Smile]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.