Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » just a question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: just a question
DH_F
Neophyte
Member # 29115

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DH_F     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this may seem like a silly question but i was just wondering if anyone knew. my boyfriend heard that if you have a lot of sex as a teen or any age at all that when you get older you wont be able to get an erection is that true? to me it doesnt seem true but i was just wonering. thanks
Posts: 15 | From: michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say that one's pretty much busted. Given the variety of men that experience erectile dysfunction (which isn't limited to only older adults), it's pretty unlikely that the amount of sex they had in the past had any effect on the disorder.

Sex has no significant health effects, whether good or bad.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Matthew
Activist
Member # 29890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Matthew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DH_F,

I'm not conected with Scarleteen in any official manner, but from all I see here I know that on Scarleteen there are no silly questions.

I've never read anything about a connection between sex in early life and erections later, and I doubt that any scientific study of that question has ever been done, but the idea of such a connection seems very unlikely. I can't imagine that the chemistry that controls the body has a counter in that, when one gets old, remembers what one did when young.

When I was a kid I heard the saying: "There are only so many shots in the old cannon." I think it came from a religeous institution that promoted fear to discouraged masturbation.

It seems more likely to me that those who learn to enjoy sex in a healthy way when young will have satisfying sexual experiences throughout life. I believe you can reassure your boyfriend that he has absolutely nothing to worry about regarding loss of erections later as a result of sex now or at any time in his life.

If you're both willing, ready, of age, and safe, then enjoy sex without fear.

Posts: 220 | From: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DH_F
Neophyte
Member # 29115

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DH_F     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot. to me it just seemd like that wasnt true. cause i didnt understand how having sex often could make you loose an erection.
Posts: 15 | From: michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sex has no significant health effects, whether good or bad.
I kinda disagree with you on that one.

Psychologists have shown that the immune systems of people who have sex once or twice a week are boosted. And sex is demanding physically, it could be described as a cardiovascular activity and therefore should be as positive for you health as any other cardiovascular activity such bicycling, running, whatever.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. I believe I should have been more specific in saying that sex has no exclusive health effects.

There are far too many myths that promote partnered sexual activities that claim exclusive and outrageous health benefits. I think it's important to stress that not only are most of the stated effects hogwash, but that the legitimate benefits can be obtained through other activites, such as masturbation or exercise.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.