Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » water blisters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: water blisters
FadingStar
Neophyte
Member # 28427

Icon 5 posted      Profile for FadingStar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a water blister before but a lot of people I know have. They all complain of how much they hurt, so I tell them to pop them but they say they hurt like hell to.
I got a water blister today (2 actually) but I dont really want to pop them because of what I've heard, so if anyone has any suggestion of what I could do to make them feel better/go away faster that would be great!
Also, I'm kind of curious as to why they would hurt so much to pop? I cant think of any reason why they would. . .

--------------------
And you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn’t need because you knew you were finally free.

Posts: 28 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found that if blisters aren't too big (and the one's I've gotten have been on my feet after a hike) they don't really hurt and it's not worth the trouble to do anything about them. But if you want them to go away faster, unfortunately the easiest way to go about it is to pop them with a needle and squeeze them. Since it's just water in there, the needle doesn't really hurt, I guess that's why you were wondering why it would hurt to pop them. It hurts because you have to squeeze all the liquid out of them. They don't just pop and squirt out all of a sudden! [Smile]

After you squeeze them, they should look like flat bits of white skin. That's fine, just leave them and they'll fall off or go away. If they're on your feet, maybe you should rest a while, or go around in sandals or other shoes that won't bother you too much.

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FadingStar
Neophyte
Member # 28427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FadingStar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you! I thought that once you popped them, the water would come out by itself, so I didnt understand what would hurt about it. But I know now that you need to squeeze it, so I understand [Wink]

There on my little toe, and ones so small that I wouldn't bother with it but the others pretty big (bigger than the nail). I went for a walk today with some new shoes so I guess thats what caused it. I guess next time I should put a bandaid on that toe while I wear them so that this dosent happen again. . .would that work?

--------------------
And you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn’t need because you knew you were finally free.

Posts: 28 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's actually not the best idea to be trying to pop blisters of any kind- popping a blister reveals the skin underneath that is highly suseptable to infection. Blisters DO become infected rather easily, and that hurts a whole heck of a lot more than just leaving them be.

If you can, just put a band-aid or some moleskin over the blister and leave it on its own (this works for prevention of future blisters, too). If it does pop, wash it well with warm water and soap and cover it with a band-aid, then continue cleaning it each day until it heals, like you would with a cut or bad scrape.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, I didn't know that, sorry! I don't know, I guess I've been lucky, I've popped a couple of big blisters, put bandaids on them, and nothing's happened! I'll be sure not to do it again [Smile]

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FadingStar
Neophyte
Member # 28427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FadingStar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, well they're popped already, but I'll be sure to wash them to make sure it dosen't get infected! I'll be sure not to again, though!

Thanks for all the advice (P.S. It didnt hurt to pop [Smile] )

--------------------

blueveggie
Activist
Member # 26508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blueveggie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my blisters tend to occur and then pop before I notice them.. I have never had an issue with rinsing them off with the hose and continuing. they always occur when I'm working outside with lots of dust and dirt- they don't get bandaided either.

With ones that are really bad (burns usually) I end up having to pop them- have never had a problem washing them with very mild soap and applying neosporin and a bandaid.

Posts: 86 | From: southern CA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.