Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » low-blood sugar

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: low-blood sugar
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know what really causes low-blood sugar most of the time ?

My doctor asked me if I was stressed a lot. He suspected stress.

I am simply not a person who's stressful. At least, not a lot. I've heard eating too much sugar can trigger it. Is that true ?

I'm still waiting for my glycemic results but does anyone here have low-blood sugar (hypoglycemia) ? Wanna talk about it ?

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B And W Penguin
Neophyte
Member # 30410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B And W Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Low blood sugar is caused by not having enough food in your system, I'm not sure if that's what you're asking.
Posts: 17 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faith54
Activist
Member # 27855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith54     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I do. Not official hypoglycemia, but low blood sugar. I was having headaches and dizzy spells for a long time, so I finally went to the doctor to get my blood tested. Hypoglycemia is considered around 60 mg (I believe those are the units) in your blood, too much blood sugar is over 135 mg, and I only had 70 mg. So not drastic enough to be diagnosed as hypoglycemic, atleast not by my dr.'s standards, but we definitely know low blood sugar was causing the problem. What helps me is having a protein bar with me so I can take bites of it in between classes. Don't eat extremely sugary foods though, b/c they spike your blood sugar real fast, causing you to crash twice as hard.

--------------------
"My grandmother never gave gifts- she was too busy being raped by cossacks." ~ Woody Allen

Posts: 107 | From: United States | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rachael
Neophyte
Member # 31078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rachael     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's basically that, having low-blood sugar
Do you find that you often go a long time without eating, or skip meals?
I have a slight case of low blood sugar, in which if i skip eating for too long, or am active without eating, i get dizzy easily.
The thing I found to help best was keeping an apple or something like that, and muching on it.
Fruit is a good way to get your blood sugar up again, because it contains natural fruit sugar, and hey, it's also healthy!

Posts: 19 | From: toronto | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.