Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » lonely

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: lonely
nali
Neophyte
Member # 24842

Icon 9 posted      Profile for nali     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Feeling sad and lonely and no one is awake to talk to. It's summer so the college peer counseling groups are gone so I can't even call them. I wish I could call someone. I know I'm not saying much here I just need to do SOMETHING, can't stop crying, taking deep breaths isn't helping and trying to sleep isn't helping and chocolate and cookies didn't help and trying to read didn't help and trying to work didn't help and trying to clean didn't help and trying to meditate didn't help, I can't get myself to calm down, I just want someone to talk to, please help, there are no magic "call if you're feeling awful" phone-numbers on the university health services website, I JUST WANT SOMEONE TO TALK TO, and I just want to stop crying, eventually I will cry myself to sleep, but until then, I don't know what to do, I hate these breakdowns, please tell me what to do to make it stop!

[ 06-10-2006, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: nali ]

Posts: 32 | From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm awake for a little while, sweetie.

What's going on? I'm listening.

(Where do you live, by the way? We can hook you up with some 24/7 resources in your area.)

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nali
Neophyte
Member # 24842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nali     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cambridge MA, thank you so much
Posts: 32 | From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nali
Neophyte
Member # 24842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nali     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just feel awful and I don't really know why -- I'm feeling really really lonely since I don't feel like I can talk to any of my friends about this, I talked to my boyfriend a couple hours ago, but of course he had to go sleep, it's late, and I understand, but I still feel icky
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll look into centers and hotlines as best as I can for now.

Is there anything in particular that's bothering you that you need to let out? Do you feel so bad that you're thinking of hurting yourself? Is there anything that sparked this?

Just take deep breaths, and try to relax for now, okay?

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

This is the website for Covenant House, an excellent organization I've had to rely on before:

http://www.covenanthouse.org/nineline/index.html

It gives several options, between calling the hotline, posting in their forum, and searching for local resources in your area.

Is this what you were looking for?

nali
Neophyte
Member # 24842

I don't feel like it's anything in particular, that's why I hate it, I don't have any REASON to be sad. I was just feeling lonely, and somehow that just made me feel lonelier and lonelier and tired and icky all over like I'm a giant wart in everyones' lives. I don't want to bother anyone again, but you're here because you want to help, so I don't feel as bad talking/typing on this forum.

Just scratches on my arms, but it's just like biting my fingernails.

Nothing really sparked it, it's just I've been alone this past week, no roommate, and my boyfriend is in New York, and everyone seems so busy and I just get in their way.

nali
Neophyte
Member # 24842

Thank you, I'm calling them, or calling my mom, depending how brave/desperate I feel. It really helps just to have someone respond to me, it's nice to know that there are people out there that really care, it reminds me of the general goodness people.
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

We're all here because we care and want to help, darlin'. So never feel guilty for asking for help, okay? [Smile]

It sounds like a very hard state to be in, especially when you feel that all your support people have vacated.

Go ahead and give either the hotline or your mom a call. The hotline could hook you up with some low-cost counseling/mental health centers in your area, if you find you're feeling depressed often. I'm certain your mom would like to be there for you, regardless of the time, as well.

Let us know if there's anything more we can do to help. For now I'm headed to bed, but there will likely be a mod around soon to help you further.
I sincerely hope you feel better soon.

nali
Neophyte
Member # 24842

Thank you for the emergency support last night! I don't really know what was the matter with me. I ended up calling the "nineline" hotline (I couldn't get a call through to my mom...sigh), and that helped. Today after work, I bought cookies, milk, and some movies, and invited random girls who live in the hall to join me -- I decided that if I'm feeling lonely, I should do something about it! I'm seeing my primary care physician next week -- this isn't the first time I've had a major breakdown for no reason in the past few months, and I want to make sure it isn't some combination of meds I'm taking (I take allergy meds and birth control pills).
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

You're very welcome, nali.

I'm glad you're feeling better, and addressing the underlying reasons for your breakdowns. It's great to hear that you're working on establishing relationships with females-- how did the movie and cookies binge go? [Smile]

I think these are awesome steps to be taking, in addition to seeing your doctor to sort out any possible problems with the meds. Really glad to see it!

nali
Neophyte
Member # 24842

Movies and cookies went great! Two of my guy-friends came, and two of the new girls in the apartment complex came. I'm going to try arranging one of these things each week [and maybe I should get fruit next time instead of cookies...urrrrrrrrgh my stomach [Smile] ]

I think one thing that's driving me nuts right now is being alone in an apartment. I get lonely really easily, and have trouble sleeping when there isn't someone else around. Growing up, I had two sisters who I shared rooms with, and now in college while school's in session, I always sleep with my boyfriend. I get panicky really easy at night, and I guess that was amplified last night when I found myself alone with no boyfriend and no roommate. Hopefully getting to know the girls next door will help me feel less isolated here.

Cappa
Neophyte
Member # 29271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cappa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a site that might help you:

http://www.cambridgema.gov/lvw.cfm?aud=vis

It's Cambridge's own tourism page. It's a simple way to find something to do sometimes.

I'm going to be starting college next semester. Like you, I find a lot of comfort at home, so I chose to find colleges that I can commute to. If your loneliness persists, you always have the option of trying to transfer schools. It's not uncommon at all, from my experiences; I'd say about 1/3 of my friends have transferred at one point or another.

Identification helps me if I'm feeling down. I try to remember easy to access places where I have had fun and return there, even if it's by myself. Sometimes I meet new people, sometimes I run into people I already know, and sometimes I wind up by myself, but simply being wherever I decide to go helps.

It seems like you are doing a lot better already. If you hate your apartment being empty, maybe casually bring it up with people that you hang out with. For example, "You're always welcome, I love visitors. Give a call sometime."

Please remember to look out for your safety if you choose to set out on your own and find something to do. Also, please try to let others know where you are going, even if you leave it as a message, so just in case anything happens, people will know what you were up to.

Posts: 9 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.