Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Coldsores

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coldsores
sweetie_pie
Activist
Member # 13728

Icon 13 posted      Profile for sweetie_pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have woken up this morning in the worst mood ever. I suffer from cold sores ever since i was little! Like really little as in before i was one year old. My dad gets them too so im blaming him for it! But i hate them so much, they really make me feel very ugly and i feel i have to hide away and i dont like being seen by anybody! Any advice to make them go away super fast? Or even to stop me getting them? I really dont feel like leaving my house because my lip looks scabby, ugly and sore. People will look and me and think "ARGH"! Im seriously thinking about calling in sick and not going into work at the weekend unless anyone knows of something to make it disappear? I am also wondering does anyone else have this problem or just me?
Posts: 65 | From: Eastbourne | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if it helps, I believe 70% of the general population have cold sores- they are horendously common, and while it's likely you got them from your dad, you could have also gotten them from a grand parent, or a friend.

Unfortunately, cold sores don't have a miracle cure, and can come up fairly easily if the immune system is low, or your body has received a shock from stress or even something like a sunburn (my mom always gets cold sores if she's gotten sunburned, since the disruption in her body from the burn causes the virus to rouse back up to her mouth).

And really, cold sores ARE so common that I personally don't think it's worth getting really worked up over (that certainly won't help make a sore go away, either!) since most people aren't going to look at you and think ARGH! since 99.9% of the time they themselves get cold sores, too, or know someone who does.

What you can do to minimize them is keeping the area dry- there are some great products you can get now adays that while they don't cause the sore to vanish immediately, can help decrease healing time and can also often help prevent sores from forming or being really bad if you use it when you start feeling that thingling that tells you one may be on its way. (Essentially, the ingredients in them act to dry the sore.) Speak to your doctor or a pharmacist about getting them, they can run a bit expensive, but they only need to be used sparingly so a tiny tube can last a while.

Even with treatments, though, sores will generally take a couple weeks to disappear completely, and there's not really much you can do to help that.

The only way a cold sore can disrupt your life is if you let it do so- and really, if you ignore that it's there or don't pay it mind, chances are pretty good that no one else will, either. It's definitely not worth missing time from work because of something that has no reason to impede your life, either!

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I get coldsore REALLY bad too... I have never seen anyone get them worse than I do, so I definitely know how you feel.

I actually have one right now... Actually I had one last week and it was almost gone and I am now getting another one!!

It's really frustrating and it makes me self-conscious too, but really, alot of people get them and understand it's out of your control.. I too had to go to work with a huge red lip and I have to deal with customers all day, and it was fine, just try not to think about it as much.

My suggestion for you is to make sure you get a coldsore medication that is actually medicated.There are so many brands of coldsore remedies that are just for relief of coldsore and don't really speed up the healing, they just numb the pain. So go to your local pharmacy and find one that speeds up the healing. Or you could always go to your doctor and they could possbily have a suggestion or even a perscription.

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.