Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Skinny

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Skinny
LiLie
Neophyte
Member # 28101

Icon 11 posted      Profile for LiLie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am 5'4 5'5 and i weight 110 and i hate it...i want to gain weight but i cant i eat all the time to try to gain some weigth but i just stay the same...i think about my weight 24/7 even though am not hungryi go and eat...i always make a joke about my weight cause thats the only way i kno how to deal w/ it...my best friend is skinnier than me but shes way shorter and shes always talking about my great body but i dont see that at all i see some1 too tall and too thin...i cant go to the doctor because i cant talk to my parents about how i really see myself..i try to tell them but they always tell am fine...i need help!!
Posts: 4 | From: florida | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How old are you?

(And bear in mind that 110 for 5'4, especially if you're fine-boned, is actually a perfectly healthy weight and would not be considered underweight.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68208 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LiLie
Neophyte
Member # 28101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LiLie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
am 15 and like i said before i dont think i look healthy...my friends always say that i look fine but i always have that thought in my head that there just begin nice...look todayy ive send all day thinking about my weight..since ive been sick all ive being thinking about is that i cant afford to lose any pounds...i come from a family were moslty everyone is tall and am affraid am going to keep growing and i cant stand to think of that because i hate begin as tall as i am...i need some advice!!!
Posts: 4 | From: florida | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thing is, as you keep growing (though if you started puberty a few years ago, you probably don't have that much more height to gain), your bone mass and muscle mass will grow, too. Your height won't change as your weight stays the same, really. That's just not how it works.

If you're really concerned about this, talk to your doctor. But if he or she says there's nothing to worry about, then know it's really fine. Bodies come in all different shapes and sizes, and too, as you get older, your metabolism slows: often very substantially once you're out of your teens. If you don't think you're healthy, obviously you can chage your lifestyle as needed: eating better, more wholesome foods, staying active, getting enough rest, and reducing your stress levels.

And stop obesessing: there's no need for that, and your fixating on it is the real problem here. 5'4 or 5'5 isn't even tall: it's below, in fact, the average height of women.

[ 03-26-2006, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Miz Scarlet ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68208 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LiLie
Neophyte
Member # 28101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LiLie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i dont kno ive always had problems with myself and i cant talk to anyone about it except my best friend and even with her i dont tell her the real truth beacuse am not really the type of person that expresses their feelings...i was once asked what things would i change about myself and i answered everything expect my nose and my ears...people that ive opened up to tell me that i have a very low self esteem..but my friends think that am this funny person that dosnt really give a damn what she looks like because thats how i act in front of them but in fact i look at everyone and compare myself to them...i think i need therapy that wut my best friend told me but i cant tell my parents about because the family that i come from that kind of stuff is unacceptable...what can i do...ohh and i wanted to thank yopu for answering soo fast!!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.