Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Those lovely things called ingrown hairs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Those lovely things called ingrown hairs
Charlie'sAngel
Neophyte
Member # 1935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie'sAngel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey,I had some discomfort down there, so I showed it to my mom, and she told me it was an ingrown hair. can someone pleeease tell me the "characteristics" of an ingrown hair? Also, how do you get rid of them? They're very painful!
Posts: 11 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The characteristics of ingrown hairs? Honestly, they act an awful lot like plain old garden variety zits: they swell up, they tend to be painful, if you should pop them, you'll see some pus and blood, they can potentially become seriously infected, and (thankfully) they'll often go away on their own if you let them.

Also, like zits, if you put a hot compress (hot washcloth) on them, it can help kill the bacteria that are infecting them, as well as helping to bring blood to the area, which can help heal them faster.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie'sAngel
Neophyte
Member # 1935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie'sAngel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Hanne

Yep, that surely was an ingrown hair! I sat in the tub with hot water alot yesterday and today, and put a wash cloth soaked with hot water on it, and today it popped and all the gunk (blood & puss) came out. That was pretty nasty. Anyway, thanks again!! I'm just glad I'm not in as much pain as I was before

Posts: 11 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sometimes, if you look very closely, you can see the hair trapped under the surface of the skin. When it's severe, you can get them "lanced" by your doctor. Lancing involves using a sterile needle to poke thru the skin and pull out the hair. Don't try that at home because you can risk an infection.

In general, you can prevent those li'l buggers by gently exfoliating your skin with a mild scrubby soap.

------------------
Inspected by Number 26

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jsal0988
Neophyte
Member # 26071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jsal0988     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got two things for you that will get rid of Ingrowns forever:
1)Its called a pumice stone
2) Its called Smooze (and no I dont know how they came up with the name and I dont really care)
But they must be used together.
Use Smooze for 3 days in a row and dont shave either during this time.
On the 3rd day have a shower and mildly use the pumice stone on your face. Be careful not to go to hard...kz you'll regret it if you do.
Next day have a shave and thats the end of your ingrowns for atleast 2 weeks.....best **** i've tried yet!

Posts: 1 | From: Sydney | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.