Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » For the "older" women

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: For the "older" women
holly8705
Activist
Member # 8966

Icon 11 posted      Profile for holly8705     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm only 15 so there's no need to worry about menopause right now...BUT I was watching the Dr. Phil show today and it was about women going through it so I would like to know how you women dealt with going through it. Like what you did and how your spouse dealt with it, because on the show these men were saying their wives were totally nut cases when they were P.M.S.ing. Just wondering what symptoms you went through and how you dealt with them!!!

------------------
~Holly~
~*Never frown, even when you are sad, because you never know who is falling in love with your smile!~*

Posts: 126 | From: Small town, Tennessee | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is Scarleteen. As far as I know, very few to none of our posters have gone through menopause, so running a general web search on the topic would probably be a lot more help to you.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, DNFTF, WAOTA

Get your philosophy from a bumper sticker

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MIlke's right. since a lot of us haven't even hit menarche (a woman's first menstrual period), we're not going to be able to give you firsthand accounts of menopause.

However, I bet a lot of us have had a mom, aunt, grandmother or someone close to us make "the change," and it affected us.

My mother went through menopause early. In 1989 at the age of 44, she had a radical hysterectomy because her uterus was seriously hemorrhaging. She went ahead with the operation because her childbearing days were long over (i was the end of it and I was already 9).

What came to follow were some big time mood swings in my mommy. She was put on Premarin, estrogen replacement therapy. If she missed a pill, she'd get *really* cranky. She stayed on estrogen replacement for a few years, but quit maybe 4 or 5 years ago after she decided that she didn't want to chance it with breast cancer (estrogen replacements greatly increase the risk of breast cancer).

I don't dare ask how it affects her sexually. I know older folks enjoy sex, too, but c'mon, these are my PARENTS. I don't want to think about it. *plugs ears* lalalalalala...

------------------
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RumpusParable
Activist
Member # 2295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RumpusParable     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the women in my family get it early. in fact, we slowly seem to each be arriving at menopause progressively earlier than the last generation.

my mother started it when she was between 30-35. by about 40 she was all messed up. her period wouldn't come regularly, but she still got it & the doctors she saw refused to believe she was in menopause despite the fact that my grandmother before her started it at 40.

so mom got the run around for a few years when she could've been a lot more comfortable.

doctor disbelief resulted in about 4 D&Cs due to her missed periods being unexplainable & ignored between times since "this time they'll go back to normal for you".

she eventually found a doctor to believe her once she got a few years older & had all of this past medical history to throw at them lol. now she's doing much better, her period came once in a great, great while very lightly (and may have stopped by now, i haven't asked her about it.. it's just not something that comes up) & her hot flashes are much better under control... low hormonal supplements & just having a doctor believe her has been a big help.

as for crankiness... can't speak for other than her, of course different people different effects, but she was terrible. i'm so glad i wasn't there to see it (i'd moved out by the time it got into full swing & only caught the first few lesser years of it). on mom's calmer moments she'd admit that she was being a erm, a very cranky woman, to my sister & that she was surprised my step-father hadn't left her she was so bad.

and privately, for fear of The Wrath, they both admitted the same lol.

i guess she was quite the shrew for a few years there.

but, as with the hot flashes & other physical symptoms, after getting help from a doctor she's doing ok. some problems still as her body is still adjusting, but much much better.

given my personality w/out the additional hormone flux, i just wonder what my husband & i are going to go through when it comes my time.... if the progression in my family continues as it has, i should start the very beginnings within the next 5 years. if i'm still around, will be sure to pop in & give personal updates

some women my mom's friends with have her acutely jealous as they simply slipped into menopause with barely a flinch... her best friend had a couple years of feeling a bit more moody & some period irregularity and that's all.

we're all so different while going through the "same" thing...

[This message has been edited by RumpusParable (edited 07-30-2003).]

Posts: 160 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.