Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Garlic Breath

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Garlic Breath
lipsmacker85
Neophyte
Member # 8820

Icon 5 posted      Profile for lipsmacker85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-

Recently I’ve been some really self-conscious about my breath. I’ve become a breath freshener addict. I’ve tried everything from breath sprays to super minty gum to Altoids and am now hooked on those new Listerine PocketPaks. It really seems like they are killing all the gnarly germs in my mouth…anyway, I’ve never used mouthwash before, but maybe I should start. I was thinking about Listerine since the PocketPaks are so good. Does anyone think there is one brand that works the best, or will any brand do? Please Help!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XoXoGrl8
Activist
Member # 2834

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XoXoGrl8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, other than using mints and gum, brush your teeth about 3 times a day. I usually brush in the morning, afternoon, and night and before bed I use mouthwash. I know its not always possible but its a good habit to get into. Another good habit is to drink a lot of water because it rinses out your mouth and of course has other benefits.

As far as mints and gum, I'm a gum kind of girl. I am currently chewing Orbit gum. I love it because the flavor stays for a LONG time. Mints, I use Altoids...they are the strongest and the ones who get rid of my bad breath the fastest.

Hope that helps.

------------------
-Ashli-
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway.

Posts: 132 | From: New Jersey...US | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i too, am a minty-fresh fiend.

i brush regularly (as we all should -- at least twice a day, but the more the merrier). And I use mouthwash. it is important to pick the right mouthwash. I use Plax, and I admit it's a bad habit. My dentist says I should pick a better brand. The important thing is to use an *anti-septic* mouthwash. Plax can make your breath minty, but it doesn't really kill germs. Listerine and Cepacol, however, will kill germs in your mouth. Unfortunately, they're harsh tasting. It's a habit you really have to get used to.

*checks bottles of mouthwash in cupboard*

Scope kills germs too. but imho, go with listerine if you can stand it.

I also carry around mints in my purse. I don't chew gum because I've had some dental work; i had some chips and breaks filled in with plastic, and too much chewing can damage the plastic. my mints of choice are Smints. The dispenser is very cool, and the mints are sugar-free, so that won't feed nasty bacteria.

------------------
"Go that way really fast, and if anything gets in your way ... turn." Better off Dead starring a teenaged John Cusack.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
one more thing. oral sex. brushing and flossing can cause tears and fissure in your gums, making you susceptible to infections during oral sex. Mouthwash is not effective for killing pathogens that may be in your mouth due to unprotected oral sex, so it's still all the more important to use condoms and dental dams for oral sex.

------------------
"Go that way really fast, and if anything gets in your way ... turn." Better off Dead starring a teenaged John Cusack.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sort of enjoy the "help, my tastebuds are being burned off" sensation of Listerine. BTW, you may want to look into a generic brand to get the stuff cheap--my supermarket offers a Listerine clone that is at least a buck cheaper.
Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an interesting note:

Usually the people who think they have bad breath, are the ones who don't.

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melimelo
Activist
Member # 7361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for melimelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there is something logical about the "fact" that those who think have bad breath don't, because if they think so, they will do something for it not to smell. those who don't just don't do anything and it may end up smelling bad (but i'm really not saying they all smell bad!)

once i made my friends laugh so much... we were doing a sleepover, and there were not enough beds so we were 4 sharing 2 beds (beds for one person)(and there were some more people on the floor) and i told the 2 ones beside me to wake me up if my breath smelled bad and so i would do something about it. they really thought it was funny.

Posts: 81 | From: north america | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.