Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Alcohol

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alcohol
PoohBear84
Activist
Member # 6516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoohBear84     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know where to post this, so here it goes:

I was in a very scary situation last night, i went out to dinner with my friends, where we were all drinking and got drunk, (yes we are underage, and i do know that it's bad,) but afterwards, we went to this party where my best friend was. He was also intoxicated, more so than i. The party was a lot of fun, it was at a club, but at around midnight, i see my best friend, not looking too good, lying down on one of the couches. So i dragged him to the bathroom, tried to cool him off, and helped him while he puked. Then i brought him home, where i tried taking care of him as best i could, making sure that he didn't fall asleep and everything. I finally left after i made sure he was allright, and asleep on his side.

But i guess that the whole point of my scary story is that, yes drinking does go on, and even if you don't do it, it's still very important to know the basics of how to take care of someone who is drunk, passed out or awake. I knew the basics, the raw basics, and still last night i felt i didn't know enough, and especially since i had drank a little myself.

so i just thought that it was important to get my point and story out, and to have people who know what they are talking about, post here about the basics of taking care of someone who is intoxicated.

------------------
~*Katie*~

Be yourself, because then no one can ever tell you that you are doing it wrong

Posts: 91 | From: New York | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I hope that since you too were drunk you weren't the one who drove your friend home.

Also, whenever someone has had far too much to drink, it's best for them to just throw up. My Mom once was little out of it and my Dad told her to drink plenty of water. She threw up a lot after that, and it turns out she threw up more because she had drank more water.

------------------
The present is the past of the future

greenjay blog

Don't Mess With Texas

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazz
Activist
Member # 6206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mazz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my personal experience with alcohol, i always feel that if i drink water when i'm really drunk, it stops me feeling sick or throwing up, and i feel alot better after a few glasses of water, so i think its just different for everyone.

I too think it is important to know how to help someone who is drunk, because although it is dangerous (and after illegal in underage circumstances) it is extremely common.

I think it is important for people to always have friends around them who know that they are drinbking, if they are drinking. I know that me and my friends have a kind of deal like this. If we go out and are drinking, me and my best friend agree that we are responsible for each other, hewlping each other if we do get into a situation that we cant handle ourselves.

I also think it is important to realise that if you are in situation where underage drinking is involved and a situation arises that you feel you cant handle yourself, it is OK to contact your parents. So many people are too scared of being punished that they dont conact people who can help in emergency situations, and to me, that like seems such a tragedy. Most often than not, i think your safety and helath is more important to your parents than anything else.

Posts: 88 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoohBear84
Activist
Member # 6516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoohBear84     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yea, the lucky thing is, is that i live in a large city, so there is no need for cars... just take cabs.

But what i was really hoping for in this reply was some help from someone who knows what they are talking about, because the raw basics of taking care of someone who is drunk is to:

a. Keep them cooled down... to not let them overheat
b. To not let them fall asleep if they have been throwing up
c. If they do fall asleep to make sure they sleep on their side, so that if they do throw up they don't choke on whatever they throw up

but those are just the basics... so if anyone has any other tips like that... please post!

------------------
~*Katie*~

Be yourself, because then no one can ever tell you that you are doing it wrong

Posts: 91 | From: New York | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something that you want to keep an eye out for if you're with someone who is intoxicated is alcohol poisoning.

The symptoms of alcohol poisoning include:

quote:
Unconscious or semiconsciousness.
Slow respiration (breaths) of eight or less per minute or lapses between breaths of more than eight seconds.
Cold, clammy, pale or bluish skin. In the event of alcohol poisoning,these signs and symptoms will most likely be accompanied by a
strong odor of alcohol.

You can find some tips on dealing with alcohol poisoning (calling emergency services being the primary thing to do) and more tips for dealing with the intoxicated at http://healthcenter.ucdavis.edu/alcoholpoisoning.html

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to send this over to Gen. Health and Nutrition where the other drinking thread lives. see you there!

------------------
srm? wtf? iyhta ... rtfm!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.