Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Eating

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eating
CuriouS GeorgE
Activist
Member # 3136

Icon 5 posted      Profile for CuriouS GeorgE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Everyone I was just wondering. I've heard that you grow until you're 18 but is that really true? I'm just wondering because lately, I'm ALWAYS hungry and I don't want to eat a lot because my semi formal is coming up and I want to lose a little weight.
I'm not going to stop eating or anything. It's just that I'm always hungry when I'm at home. I was hoping that it was just a growth spurt of some kind, but I'm 17! And the thing is that what I'm eating isn't always the healthiest and that's no way to go about losing weight. So, can you guys help? Also, let me know you're favourite LOW FAT recipies and snacks if you get a chance Thanks guys!

------------------
CuRioUs GeoRGe

Love is an irrisistable desire to be irrisistably desired.
-Robert Frost

Posts: 76 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what my mother's always told me about eating in cycles - she always said that I'll always be like that. Everyone just has periods where they eat more than other times, whether you're "growing" or not. Most important is just to make sure you're eating a healthy diet, and drinking lots of water.

People who feel good inside look good outside. ;]

I like little bite-size things like grapes, which are also sweet enough that they keep me from craving sugar. Carrot sticks are easy and they're crunchy, which keeps your mouth interested. Drinking LOTS of water (I mean it, 8 glasses a day) helps immensely - if you don't drink that much water, try it for a few days and see how much better you feel.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

this is what you get for liking it.
"The best-looking boys are taken, the best-looking girls are staying inside. So, Judy, where does that leave you, walking the streets from morning till night?" --Belle and Sebastian, "Judy and the Dream of Horses"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Different people grow at different times. Yes, most women are done growing by 18 or younger, but that's not true for all; I grew nearly 2 inches after my 16th birthday. There are even some (extremely rare) diseases where people never stop growing. (Nowadays that condition is controlled with medication, though.)

Lemming is wise. Eat in moderation, exercise in moderation, drink lots of water, and concentrate on feeling good about yourself, and you'll be radiant.

As for low-fat recipes, I really like the stuff in Cooking Light magazine and in the books put out by the magazine. Their stuff is low fat, but also very flavorful. For something easy, though, I pick fruit or veggies or, if I want to pretend I'm being sinful, salsa on baked tortilla chips. (No fat, but you can pretend they're real chips! )

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gurlie
Neophyte
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gurlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though it's recommended you eat all healthy foods, don't neglect some cravings! I used to crave the junkiest foods all the time, and I tried to ignore it. That just made it worse, and I ended up on a serious binge-fest, and ate a LOT of junk. What I found though, is after I let myself submit to the cravings, they stopped. I actually don't want ANYTHING junky anymore, which is a first for me! Either my body got sick of it, or it simply had the munchies for that time period alone. So submit on occasion, and limit yourself when you do. A handful of munchies a day (or two) should be the most you have, with (maybe) an occasional splurge.

If you have snack cravings, try dried fruit like apples or bananas; it's like eating candy, but it's healthy AND good! If not, have a strong mint like an Altoid, it gives you a fresh-mouth feel, kinda like you just brushed your teeth. Then you don't want to really eat because you'll ruin the pleasant taste. Well, I know that works for me, so maybe it'll work for you!

Water does help. I read somewhere that most people misinterpret their hunger-pangs for thirst, and they simply eat to make it go away. I find when I drink water, I crave it more than food itself. The human body IS made of water, so supply it! I also tend to drink water just after having a snack. It is known for flushing out your system, therefore, it will flush out most of the junk before it's processed. It may be "cheating," but I think it helps a little!

Posts: 11 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CuriouS GeorgE
Activist
Member # 3136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CuriouS GeorgE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys!!
Just so you know, I'm deathly allergic to apples...I used to love them and if I could eat them, I would! But keep the recipies coming!! Oh, and I always drink water

------------------
CuRioUs GeoRGe

Love is an irrisistable desire to be irrisistably desired.
-Robert Frost

Posts: 76 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two previous topics on this subject:

Good snack ideas: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum24/HTML/000100.html

yummy & healthy in your pots & pans: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum24/HTML/000029.html

Kyth

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Advocate

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform."
-- Alfred Kinsey

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
killer_raincoat
Activist
Member # 6610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for killer_raincoat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well i don't know about you, but i find i crave breads and carbs rather than the fruits and veggies when i'm hungry. So while it's better to get your greens, you might want to look into foods like rice krispies, shredded wheat, and whole wheat toast (no butter mind you )I find them both filling and nutritious.

------------------
"Everybody thinks i'm such a horrible person, but i have the heart of a little boy. In a jar. On my desk." -Stephen King

Posts: 212 | From: Winnipeg | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.