Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Sleeping

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sleeping
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, it's 1.35 AM, which i consider late. For the past couple of weeks, my sleeping patterns are totally outa wack. I'm going to bed WAY too late, and getting up in the afternoon. And i'm tired all the time.

Does anyone have any advice to help get me to bed and to rise earlier? If i continue like this i'll just be a zombie all summer, hehe.
I am not a morning person, hehe.

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That happens to me every summer! I'm a night owl

You have to get yourself into a strict schedule. Maybe have a nice warm bath before bed, if that relaxes you at all ... Read for 30mins or so, if you like. Then lie down, turn of any sort of noise except maybe a radio or meditation noise box thingy (this has to be on low). Do not get up for any reason. Count sheep ... count the cracks in the wall/ceiling, whatever. Eventually you should fall asleep ... In doing so, you should be up sometime in the morning, not the afternoon.

If you're getting your 8-10hrs and are still feeling sleepy it might be a good idea to ask your doctor about it. Sometimes it just means the quality of sleep you're getting isn't all that great but there could be medical reasons behind it as well.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ella
Activist
Member # 1168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the problem is not just deciding to sleep at a certain time but actually not being able to sleep then there are several things you can do...you can drink camomile tea, find some valerian root pills or tea, you can try relaxation excercises...the options go on and on.

IF the problem is just deciding to sleep then I'd suggest starting a routine that leads to sleep. Even if it's something as easy as setting a certain TV show as the time you go to sleep or making a bed time for yourself and making sure you follow it. You might have different sleep patterns then you do in the winter (my own summer routine is sleep at 12 and wake around 8 or 9), but as long as you have one you should be fine.

Posts: 303 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
broccolidiva
Activist
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for broccolidiva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This also *could* be a hormonal thing. If you find that the above suggestions don't work, it might be advisable to go check with a doctor. It's generally nothing, because your body is constantly going through changes, and this may be the sleep patern that works best for it now.

Love,
Brcc

Posts: 66 | From: Toronto, ON, Canada | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh, i forgot to say thanks for the advice, and i'm workin hard on getting my sleeping habits in order.

Y'know what my friend told me today? He hasn't slept in 48 hours!! Now that's a sleeping problem.

------------------
...Everybody knows what a store-bought sweater looks like. But man, when you see a home-knitter on the street, it's obvoius, you know?"
-Hawksley Workman

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotten 16 hours of sleep in the past three days. Go me.

For me changing my sleeping patterns is really hard because I'm most alert and awake from like, midnight to 3am, that's just how I've always been. But...now I have to get up at 5 or 6 every morning for cross country.

Basically what I'm doing is getting up early (usually after only a few hours of sleep) and I just force myself to stay awake. No naps no nothing. Although I do usually fall asleep for an hour. And each night I've been falling asleep a little earlier than the night before. But, if you sleep in the day to make up for it then there's no reason for your body to go to sleep earlier at night.

I will warn you though...it isn't fun to sleep this little, especially when I'm working my muscles so hard. And it makes me *snarl*

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

"Just say no" fights teen pregnancy the way "hey, cheer up" fights manic depression.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
go to bed *early* not just early, but *early*

lights out, get everything quiet. no radios, no phones, no nothing.

get in bed and close oyur eytes. keep them closed. even if you are still awake. count backwards from 200. most ppl don't make it past 150.

and avoid caffeine, illegal stimulants, and naps during the day. exercise if you can to get yourself tired.

------------------
"And who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diosa
Neophyte
Member # 4157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha.....
I wish I had your problem, I doesn't matter what time I actually "get in bed" because I don't fall asleep for another...hmmmm...2 hours, lol. My body is pritty weird though because I wake up on time, without an alarm clock, which is weird to understand *scratches head* !!!If I were to sleep past even 8am, I get a really bad migrane, just for sleeping!! Or if I go to bed really late (5am, hehehe) and wake up at 1pm, I still have a headache, from not sleeping for almost 24hours!

I don't really have a problem with going to bed late and waking up late because I have some natural alarm clock(walking up early for work or sleeping in when I can) but maybe you are one of those people who do "need" to go to bed early, like around 10pm or maybe if you need somewhere to go, try setting your alarm clock about 30minutes before you need to "deffinetly" wake up to get ready, this way you don't rush into things and have time to adjust to the morning and your body from resting!

Take Care!

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe, thanks you guys for your stories and advice, i think in the end it really comes down to me getting a better sleeping scheduale.

------------------
...Everybody knows what a store-bought sweater looks like. But man, when you see a home-knitter on the street, it's obvoius, you know?"
-Hawksley Workman

lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happens to me too.
If you are actively trying to change your sleep patterns, here's what you can do ;(currently, since I don't have much to do.. I'm enjoying being the night owl that I am)

Set you alarm clock for 8:30 AM tomorrow. You'll certainly feel it.. especially if you've gone to bed at 3:45 in the morning, but when that alarm rings.. get up and go! Guaranteed, by that night you will feel tired enough to go to sleep at a normal hour and wake up at a semi-normal hour as well. Then you can keep this routine up. Continually going to bed at the wee hours of the morn' gets your body into that habit... that's why getting back to school is always a bowl of fun for me.

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Doe
Activist
Member # 3836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Doe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might also try getting more exercize durring the day. On days when i have orked out I get to sleep better than on days I don't. Also no caffine, and certianly none after 12 noon. That goes for pop as well as coffee or tea.
Posts: 475 | From: ohio | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.