Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » What counts as a regular period?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What counts as a regular period?
Amy A
Neophyte
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I'm just wondering what the line is between having periods that are regular vs. irregular.

My cycle isn't always the same number of days long, but it's always between 26 and 29 days. It can be 26 days one month, and 29 the next, with no apparent pattern.

Also, I've been having periods for about three years now, if that affects anything.

I'm sure this is nothing to be concerned about, but does it count as having irregular periods? Is it worth mentioning to my doctor at my next checkup?

Posts: 23 | From: San Diego | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blair_20
Neophyte
Member # 41253

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blair_20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Amy,
I don't think you can put a line between what is regular and irregular. Every woman is different when it comes to their menstrual cycle and from what I know, most women don't have periods that come at the same time every month. I wouldn't say it's anything to be concerned about, unless you are having other severe symptoms. You can mention it to your doctor just to be safe, but I'm sure you're ok. Mine are never regular and I'm healthy and fine.

Posts: 4 | From: guelph | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy A
Neophyte
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the reassurance =)
Posts: 23 | From: San Diego | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My periods show up in 25- to 28-day cycles, and I consider them regular. I think a variation in a few days doesn't really make that much of a difference. What I think of when somebody says "regular" is that they generally know about when to expect their period, and about how long it will last. Not any absolute, one hundred percent specifics, just kind of an idea.
Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy A
Neophyte
Member # 40137

Good, it sounds like most people's periods are relatively regular, like you described.

I guess it's different for everyone. One time this girl told me she could predict within an hour window when her period would come [Razz]

atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's very unlikely, though when I was on birth control pills, I'd always get my period within a two hour range (boy, was the convenient!), but I don't know of anyone not on some form of hormonal birth control who has that experience.
Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.