Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » fighting back against street harassment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: fighting back against street harassment
undeadlylike
Neophyte
Member # 40622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for undeadlylike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of you may've heard of HollabackNYC: http://hollabacknyc.blogspot.com/

It's a site where you can send in pics and stories of perverts who harass you on the street. You know, the ones who make you feel uncomfortable wearing a short dress at night or a bikini at the beach. Hell, even when you're fully dressed sometimes.

I decided to make a Toronto version: http://hollabackto.blogspot.com/

It happens to me all the time, I see it happening to other girls and women all the time... and nothing gets done. This at least gives us a starting point to getting back at these creeps.

It is NOT okay to feel unsafe or intimidated based on your body type, how you dress or what time of day you're out; it's not okay to take their comments, gropes, leers and disgusting behaviour, and it's not okay to just ignore it.

We're still just starting up the site and currently accepting stories and pics of your encounters with these creeps.

hollabackTO@gmail.com

Posts: 2 | From: Toronto | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am nowhere near the Toronto area, or even Canada, but all power to you! Do you do anything other than take pictures and share stories? Maybe work with the police in some way? Or am I being idealistic?

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
undeadlylike
Neophyte
Member # 40622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for undeadlylike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the support! So far we don't work with the police, but we have articles coming out in a few magazines over the next few months [McClungs and Herizons if you're interested!] so hopefully that gains more awareness of what we're trying to do, and perhaps we can expand from there.
Posts: 2 | From: Toronto | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.