Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Why am I behaving like this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why am I behaving like this?
nanswer4me
Neophyte
Member # 27691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nanswer4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a second semester senior so seemingly, I'm in the home-stretch and everything should be easy and fun. Unfortunately, I'm ashamed of the way that I've conducted myself.

I've always been a bit of a hot-head, but now more than ever I'm moody, cranky, and sometimes downright irrational. I become frustrated very easily, I snap at my closest friends and family, and I'm struggling to take care of my responsibilities. No one deserves to be treated this way, and I'm hurting the people and things that I care about.

I know that I'm very stressed out right now, and I have been for a while -- I take a relatively rigorous course-load at school and I work hard. I run about 4 clubs at school, I have the lead in the spring musical, I work two jobs, and I'm waiting to hear back from 6 of my colleges.

Currently the home life is pretty messy, with my parents working really long hours and my brother and I not getting along perfectly. The family reminds me frequently that I'm at an unhealthy 30ish lbs overweight and that I don't get enough sleep - both of which are true, I just don't know what I can do about them.

I feel as if I'm ready to crack in two and I'm losing motivation to keep working. I'm proud of my accomplishments and responsibilities, but I'm miserable and horrified by the grinch that I've become.

Help! How can I fix myself and make it up to the friends and family that I have hurt?

Posts: 15 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penwords
Neophyte
Member # 34602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penwords     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you're taking on a lot right now. I was taking some heavy duty classes, and working, and student organizing my senior year too and I know it can be really killer. When there's that much to do, it's easy to feel really impatient and snap at people, just because the urge to get all these other things done is weighing at you. Sometimes, it's much easier to be in a better mood if you don't have quite so much on your mind.

I find it helpful to make a list activities and then try to prioritize them. Obviously at the moment, school is going to be pretty high up on your list, and I know once you've commited to something like a musical (especially if you have the lead!) it's important to give it your all. However, are there maybe some things that you could step back from a little?

For example, are there Juniors or Sophmores in the clubs who, since they'll be running them next year, might be willing to try their hand at some of the responsibilities now? You don't have to give up your leadership, but if you can hand off some of the duties to them, you might both benefit. Or would it be possible to cut back hours in your jobs until the summer comes and you have more time?

Getting enough sleep can have a really fantastic impact on your mood. If you find yourself staying up and burning the midnight oil on homework, no that sometimes its more productive to close your books and just get the eight hours. If you're well rested in the morning, you may even find that you're sharp enough to finish in an hour what might have taken you two or even more when you were exhausted.

As for mending things with your friends and your family, sometimes hearing from a person that they're "horrified by the grinch they've become" can make some of the ouches a bit better. Everyone has times when they get really stressed out and if they know you're trying to fix it, they may even want to help you. Consider trying to schedual a bit of time where you and your friends and family can just have some fun; maybe even an activity that highlights one of your accomplishments like going to an outing that your club helped plan, or inviting them to see the musical.

Best wishes

Posts: 24 | From: MI | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tchock
Neophyte
Member # 37607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tchock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All those things you've listed are important but what's even more important is that you don't break.

First things first. If you can, try and delegate out some of the work in the clubs you're involved in. There's no need for you to carry all that weight alone.

There's not much you can do about course load and the jobs, but as far weight and sleep goes, exercise will go a long way. I realize you're already quite stressed and busy, but even 30 minutes of running or even walking can make a difference. It'll help you get into better shape, fall asleep easier, and most importantly, reduce stress.

Lastly, tell your friends and family that you're stressed. Explain that you don't mean to be short with them or react irrationally, but with everything on your plate you're having a hard time keeping it together. And that's it. They should understand and if they don't, that's not your responsibility.

You owe it to yourself to be a little selfish right now.

Posts: 1 | From: New York | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.