Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » skin woes...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: skin woes...
Live_Laugh_Love
Activist
Member # 34710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Live_Laugh_Love     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi
All the way up through about 11th grade, I never had much of an acne problem. I would get the occasional pimple, but it never was really an issue. Well after that, it seems like my skin just had a fit. Now I go through spells where my cheeks, chin, and forehead get tiny, whitehead-like pimples, which usually aren't very visible, but I can feel them there and they're annoying. I also have been getting a lot more pimples that break under the skin, causing a painful, semi-swollen area that IS visible. It seems like when one clears up, another appears. I've tried nearly every method of acne treatment and nothing seems to really help. The only thing I haven't tried (because I consider it a last resort) is DR-prescribed antibiotics. Do you have any suggestions of something that might work, or should I just see the doctor?

--------------------
:)

Posts: 49 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Channy
Activist
Member # 34946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Channy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've also suffered with acne, for quite awhile actually. Ever since I was in 5th grade. Nothing ever worked for me either, until Pro*Active. Ever try it? It's on TV commercials all the time.

Also, if you go to the dermatologist ask about Differin. It helped me quite a bit. And then your doctor will also probably prescribe doxycycline or minocycline. Just make sure that you take the medication ALL the way through, even if you seem to be clearing up. [Smile]

Posts: 78 | From: wisconsin | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think if you have been having skin issues for this long, and the problem doesn't seem to be improving, you might want to see a dermatologist. It could be hormonal and may not respond to topical treatments.

In the meantime, you might try an aspirin mask (crushed uncoated aspirin mixed with a clay mask/honey/plain yogurt/etc) or apple cider vinegar applied straight from the bottle onto the affected areas.

--------------------
disconnect and let me drift/until my upside down is right side *in*

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard of apple cider vinegar being used.. what is the mechanism of action, and are there good results?

The only downside to going off hormonal birth control for me has been my face exploding, and I'm willing to try anything, but can't quite afford a PCP visit right now on top of everything..

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lexie
Activist
Member # 29769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lexie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was prescribed Differin and Minocycline for my skin. It's really common to get redness, itching, peeling etc with the differin.. for up the the first 6 months, which puts alot of people off.. but once you get past that it really does work, although for me once I got there, I got lazy about using it and going through the sideaffects again wasn't worth it.
The minocycline however, I'm still on (4 years later) and it really has helped me. To be honest, I'm a little lazy about taking it, but when I do - consistently - my skin clears right up. Although hoping.. that soon, now at age 18 my skin might naturally clear up soon.

As far as natural/home/over the counter remedies.. nothing ever really helped me.

Posts: 76 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing you may want to do in order to help figure out what's going on here is to start recording your break outs. You probably chart your period already, so a good thing to do is add to that chart or calender a record of when your breakouts occur. It would also be good to add a record of when you experience lots of stress as well.

By charting your breakouts along with your menstrual cycle, it'll help a dermatologist determine whether your breakouts are related to your cycle or whether they are caused by something else.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Live_Laugh_Love
Activist
Member # 34710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Live_Laugh_Love     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have actually tried the apple cider vinegar, but I didn't notice that it helped much. The fumes just burned my eyes. I haven't tried ProActive but I have used this other system that is supposed to be just as good, and when I first started using it (religiously), it DID seem to help. But then I didn't use it quite as consistently because I was going to be outside a lot more (I work outdoors) and I was afraid that it would make my skin sensitive to the sun. I do notice that the breakouts seem to get worse right before/during my period, then it calms down a little after that. But it never fully clears up.

--------------------
:)

Posts: 49 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.