Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Becoming a vegetarian

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Becoming a vegetarian
LBelle22
Activist
Member # 35782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LBelle22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, does anyone have any good advice on becoming a vegetarian? What are some good foods to eat? Should I take vitamins?
Posts: 40 | From: Providence, RI | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassieopiea
Neophyte
Member # 35770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cassieopiea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try and gradually wean yourself off meat-based foods. For example, if you eat meat nearly every day, go for one week with no meat on Monday and Wednesday. Gradually increase the days as the weeks go on, giving yourself enough time as you need.

There are plenty of great faux-meat products out there; if you're looking for hot dog-esque foods, Yves' The Good Dog is an excellent product. There are also imitation grounds, sausages, bacon, etc. One personal favorite of mine is LightLife's pre-made chili; it has TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) in it and tastes/feels a lot like meat. Soy isn't scary, and tofu is actually really good! You can find lots of recipes and tips on www.tryveg.com

As for vitamins, my doctor told me that all young women should be taking multivitamins, regardless of diet. The ones formulated specially for women are great, but you should probably ask your doctor about taking additional supplements if you're going to stick to a vegetarian diet.

On that note, consider what kind of vegetarian you'll be. Ovo-lacto means that you eat eggs and dairy products; pesce means you eat fish. It all depends on your reasons for becoming a vegetarian and is entirely up to you.

Good luck!!
Pax

Posts: 17 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassieopiea
Neophyte
Member # 35770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cassieopiea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oup, clarification:
Ovo-lacto and pesce aren't the only kinds of vegetarian there are. And are you considering being vegan? If so, I'd recommend working with a vegetarian diet for at least a year, then considering if you'd be up for that great of a change. Vegan means absolutely no animal-based products - and you'd be surprised how many foods contain gelatin. Altoids? Most candies? (And if you eat Jello a lot, well then, that'll take some work to kick.)

I'd be curious to know your reasons for becoming vegetarian, if you're up to sharing. Are they health-based, religious, or animal welfare? Or other?

--------------------
Where did you leave your baby bleeding in her bed? Her ghost has come to stay.. Oh, you can try, you can't chase her away

Posts: 17 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LBelle22
Activist
Member # 35782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LBelle22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for your response! The main reason(S) I'm becoming a vegetarian are a) I don't really eat that much meat and at this point I find it completely gross. b) I am trying to create a much more healthy lifestyle for myself. So it's not just about not eating meat, for me, it's about being healthy and most of all, happy!
Posts: 40 | From: Providence, RI | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassieopiea
Neophyte
Member # 35770

Good luck! And remember to get enough protein, because your body absorbs plant-based proteins differently than meat-based. Rice and beans works wonderfully, as does tofu and other high-protein soy products.

Pax

--------------------
Where did you leave your baby bleeding in her bed? Her ghost has come to stay.. Oh, you can try, you can't chase her away

ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As well as possibly taking a multi-vit, it might not be a bad idea to take a B-complex as well, because red meat contains at least one b vitamin that you can't really get anywhere else.

However, it would be a good idea to talk to your doctor about your new diet plans, as s/he can make sure that taking the vitamins would be a good idea, as well as helping you figure out how much protein and other nutrients you'll need to keep yourself healthy.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lolathefish
Activist
Member # 33683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lolathefish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i am a veggie and yeah u really have to just get ur protien other ways nuts are really good and yeah stuff like that. Protien is very important. And to cassieopiea's first post its a good idea to try a few days at a time no meat but sometimes u can just stop eating meat all together. Depends on how much meat u eat now..

--------------------
Life is to short to be spent waiting for someone to come along. Just keep living and making every day worth it and the person your waiting for will come along anyway.

Posts: 40 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.