Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Natural Remedies for Falling Asleep

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Natural Remedies for Falling Asleep
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CraftyKid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have any certain natural remedies for getting into good sleep? Or maybe something that is relaxing for you and puts you in a good state of mind for sleeping?

I often find myself having trouble sleeping, and would like to improve my sleep quality so I function better during the day. [Smile]

Posts: 65 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What have you been trying so far?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zeitvogel
Activist
Member # 109023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zeitvogel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi CraftyKid [Smile] I have a lifetime of sleeping problems so I can sympathize.

There are two things that tend to help me:

1. Reading in bed. Fiction only, and not a book that's too good [Smile] There's a risk here, though, that reading will become part of your bedtime ritual and you'll be unable to sleep without it. Make sure you don't have to get up to turn off the lights when you're ready to sleep.

2. Winding down my evening about 2 hours before I plan to go to bed. This means not doing anything intensive and not starting anything new, so that I can feel "done" with my day before it's time to sleep. Dimming down the lights also helps.

Another big factor is how I feel about tomorrow. If my days are stressful then I tend to stay up because I don't want to start the next day. So if you're feeling that then I recommend working on solving that part.

Posts: 47 | From: Finland | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Craftykid,

Like Zeitvogel, I have a history of trouble sleeping. I know that, sometimes, being able to shut out outside stimulus either with a sleep mask (great if you're light sensitive) or something like a white noise or rain noise generator (although some folks I know have a really hard time sleeping without one if they've been relying on it for a longtime) can really help.

[ 02-26-2014, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CraftyKid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heather - I haven't tried much so far. Someone recommended drinking chamomile tea about an hour before bed and that really didn't help. I am open to about anything.

Zeitvogel and Sam - Thanks so much for the tips! I have thought about trying a sleep mask as I am very light sensitive. I often end up worrying about things at night too which makes for a restless sleep. Things I don't normally think about let alone worry about, crop up at night.

Posts: 65 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome! I know that, for me personally, the mask was a revelation (my bedroom got a lot of light from the parking lot). If you can, see if you're able to try them on when you're picking one, just so you find one that is comfortable.

I think Zeitvogel's tip on trying to wind down a significant amount before bed might help with the late-night worrybrain. It might also be worth it to find some self-care tips that you can build into your pre-bedtime routine to help reduce the stress you are feeling.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

I'll have to look into getting one of those masks. I get a lot of light in my bedroom at night too unfortunately. I'm someone who needs complete darkness to fall asleep.

I think I am going to start "unplugging" from my computer/cell phone/etc earlier and take it from there. I have the Scarleteen self-care article bookmarked on my web browser (its a great article for worrywarts like me!). I might try some of those things tonight and see how it goes. Thanks again for the tips!

crazyhorseperson
Activist
Member # 109011

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazyhorseperson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you haven't tried, and you are capable of it (I know when I'm especially stressed I have trouble relaxing my mind), it might help to try meditating. Find a position that you're completely comfortable laying in, and concentrate on just your breathing. If any other thoughts come into your head, calmly 'push' them out as you breathe out. Also (not sure if it's true but it has been in my experience!) if you lay completely still for 15 minutes, you'll start drifting off. If you can keep meditating that long, or at least get into the lighter stages of sleep within that time, you might find it easier to sleep. Good luck!
Posts: 48 | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AprilK
Neophyte
Member # 109787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AprilK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great ideas already posted... I also have issues falling asleep, I find that I tend to think a lot when I decide to lay down at night. So, for me its helpful to write down any ideas or thoughts I have... that way I am not worried about remembering anything. I can just put down my thoughts and then go to sleep.

Essential oils are also great. Lavender or roman chamomile are both great ones to smell before bed or even put a little on your pillow [Smile]

Posts: 5 | From: Southern California | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snorkmaiden
Neophyte
Member # 103905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snorkmaiden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of oil:
A simple mind trick to help me relax my muscles is to imagine my body in an almost liquid state, and trying to cover as much surface as I can, as if I'm an oil slick. And to really focus on that.

It sounds silly but it works for me!

Posts: 17 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ralphie41
Neophyte
Member # 109918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ralphie41     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this is still an issue for you, but i found this programme the other day called f.lux - it alters the colour of your computer screen depending what time of day it is, reducing the green and blue light at nightime, as blue and green light can keep you more alert. Takes a bit of getting used to, but I've found that it helped me.
https://justgetflux.com/
Is the link - I didn't get any viruses so i think it's pretty reliable but you may wanna check it out )

--------------------
"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"

Posts: 16 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How cool is that!? Thanks for adding that, ralphie. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

And on that note, on the suggestion of a friend last year, I went ahead and got one of those little blue lights/daylight lights for S.A.D, and I am finding using it as an alarm clock not only works well (and with no noise, yay!), it has seemed to regulate my sleep patterns better, especially as someone who lives somewhere where we often have less light than other places.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.