Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Tatt!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tatt!
jessinator55
Activist
Member # 19702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessinator55     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all. I got a tattoo on the inside of my wrist on march 29. That was exactly a month ago, and it still isn't healed completely. It is still shiny, and wrinkly from scabbing. It looks like it still needs to peel and scab more, but I'm not sure. The tattoo is also still somewhat raised. I'm thinking of going back to the parlor to ask them about it. Has this happened to anyone else? What is going on!
Posts: 59 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like a couple things could have happened:

It's possible you could be having a bad reaction to the ink; not everyones' bodies are okay with some of the ingredients in common tattoo inks.

Did you research the parlor and artist? Did you ask about what types of equipment and materials they used? Did you see a portfolio of your artist's finished work? Often times, a badly healed tattoo can actually be the result of a poor artist or an artist using poor equipment or low-quality ink.

Finally, how did you take care of it as it was healing? Improper care can cause tattoos to heal improperly and create problems.

But your inclination to speak to the tattoo parlor is your best bet, because none of us are professional tattoo artists here and body modifications aren't our focus here at Scarlateen (even if some of us have them and know about them [Smile] ).

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jessinator55
Activist
Member # 19702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessinator55     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I got it at a parlor that is well known where I live and has been in business for many, many years. And I did what they told me to in the healing process-either petroleum jelly or non-scented lotion like vaseline intensive care or the green curel.
Posts: 59 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Petroleum jelly? Really? Hm, I have honestly never heard a tattoo artist suggest that, but different artists in different areas may have different methods.

What about other care? Such as no scratching, no soaking the tattoo in a tub/pool/etc.

If you went to a reputable place, it sounds like it could be something like a reaction to the ink. So, go into the parlor and get it checked up on, okay?

(Edited for typos, oops!)

[ 04-29-2007, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: dailicious ]

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Just as a note on the petroleum jelly - I have three tats, that I got at three different parlors, and I was told to put petroleum jelly on the tat all three times. So. Can't be that unusual. And it's always worked great for me.)

My latest tat is on the inside of my wrist as well and while it doesn't look raised anymore, it does - five months after I got it - still look wrinkly. I was a bit concerned about that, but as it turns out, it's just that the skin itself is really wrinkly. Take a close look: I'm sure you'll notice that the wrinkles in the tat are a continuation of your skin.

Either way, if you're worried, the best thing to do is go back to the parlor and have them take a look.

[ 04-30-2007, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.