Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Impossible?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Impossible?
k_leigh7692
Neophyte
Member # 30348

Icon 2 posted      Profile for k_leigh7692     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always had stretch marks on my breasts from puberty when they grew too fast for my skin took keep up. They eventually have gone away, with some new small ones appearing, but they're covered so I'm not worried about those and my boyfriend doesn't seem to mind.

I'm almost 18 and I have several, and I mean several, stretch marks on each inner thigh. Some old ones and new ones. The new ones are the ones that bother me. They're bright red and usually get brighter when I'm in extreme temperatures, like the shower or cold weather. Yet again, my boyfriend doesn't mind and has never said anything about them, but I'm extremely self-conscious about them.

I'm not overweight, I would consider myself curvy yet healthy. I've been gaining weight, I think from my birth control, but not to where it's bothering me. I've started doing pilates and yoga so I feel even healthier.

Basically, my problem is the stretch marks. They look like those scars that people have who cut themselves to relieve some kind of emotional pain. They're parallel and rise up my thighs and look identical on both thighs.

Is there anything that I can do to make them fade faster before summer vacation? I know it takes time, but I've heard that cocoa butter lotion may help. Is this true? I know there is a type of medical procedure that helps, but it's expensive and scarce.

Does anyone have any advice? Maybe some stories of how they dealt with it themselves?

Posts: 31 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm someone who not only doesn't have any sort of problem with scars, I actually like them (and I have a lot of them, including a hand disability that's pretty off-looking).

I like scars, I like my stretch marks, I like my wrinkles, I like my grey hairs.

(Not sure I'm quite at the point where I can say I exactly like cellulite, but it's not something I lose sleep over, either.)

To me, stretch marks, like wrinkles, are nothing but evidence that I've lived a very real life in my body, spent time in it, been through plenty and am still here to testify. They're all meaningful to me, this stuff, to the point that I earnestly have always had a very hard time understanding other people or cultural ideals which put them forth as problems or something that is in any way not beautiful.

Whether that helps you or not, I can't say. But I do know that worrying about this stuff rather than enjoying it would impact my quality of life and take up time and energy I could use for things which actually benefit me, so.

That said, keeping skin moisturized -- both inside, by staying hydrated, and outside -- does make a difference with anything like this, and cocoa butter is known to have an effect on stretch marks, especially per preventing them. Exfoliating and eating healthfully as well as portecting the skin from sun damage also helps per protecting the skin and keeping new cells generating well.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.