Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Very sore throat

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Very sore throat
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on getting rid of a sore throat, or at least helping it not hurt so much. It hurts when I swallow, hurts when I yawn...

My neck feels a little bit stiff, but that might just be from my martial art training.

Been drinking a lot of water, and had some orange juice, and now I'm about to have some soup.

Is there anything else I can do? I have an exam tomorrow and I really don't want to still be feeling like crap.

Thanks for any help! [Smile]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlotte234
Neophyte
Member # 31623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlotte234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd carry some cough drops or hard candy to help your throat. Drinking warm tea with honey may help, too. Also, you can get throat sprays to help from anyy pharmacy over-the-counter. Get well soon!

--------------------
No lies, just love.

Posts: 23 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long have you had this for?

It may be more than just a sore throat, so keep an eye on it. If you notice any pus at the back of your throat, it's probably a throat infection and you need to see your doctor. If you have a fever, or any swelling in your glands (these can be found near the corner of your jaw and back just a bit towards your ears) i'd also see your doctor sooner rather than later.

Your sinuses, throat and ears are all connected ... An infection in one can quickly spread to the others, and that is NO FUN at all.

That all said, sometimes a sore throat is just a sore throat, and then i agree w/ charlottes suggestions [Smile]

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I had the beginnings of a sore throat 4 or 5 days ago, and then it went away. This morning I woke up and it was back, but 10 times worse.

If there is pus will is be really noticeable?

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlotte234
Neophyte
Member # 31623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlotte234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there is pus, I think you would notice, but if you've got problems like that, I'd see a doctor for an antibiotic.

--------------------
No lies, just love.

Posts: 23 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

It's hurting up into my right ear when I swallow now. It's really painful, and I dread swallowing.

Does this sound like something bad?

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a bit more than a throat infection. It could, for example, be a pretty nasty sinus infection that's drained into your ear(s) and throat, infecting them both. Boy, have I been down that alley.

Get into the doctor as soon as you can for treatment; it's not likely to go away easily on its own. Until then, I've found that gargling with an antiseptic mouthwash or weak peroxide solution helps to soothe a sore throat.

It can also be helpful to pop your ears for temporary relief, by plugging your nose and close your mouth and VERY GENTLY exerting pressure as if breathing out.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Ugh, I have an exam tomorrow at 2pm.

This started today. Should I give it a few more days to see if it'll go away on it's own, or go to a clinic if I still feel like this in the morning?

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not something that needs be taken care of immediately; you can wait a day or two if you like. It's just that if this does happen to be an infection of sorts, letting it go will likely just add to your misery, tax your immune system further, and lengthen your recovery time.

So, best to nip it in the bud ASAP. Stock up on cold remedies to get through your exam, and schedule a visit soon.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

I could probably go to a walk-in clinic on campus, and since I have an exam, I should have priority.

I guess I'll see how I feel in the morning.

Thanks for you help everyone! [Smile]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer

-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Sooo...

My sore throat lasted 5 days, and then went away. During that time, I went to the doc and she took a swab, but thought that my throat was fine. Friday last week there was no pain, so I figured I was fine and I had managed to beat what I had.

Turns out the doc's been trying to contact me since Friday. I have strep throat... fun times. Guess that explains why the pain is back.

I've been sharing drinks and whatnot with friends. How likely is it that they'll get strep too?

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer

Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strep can be pretty contagious, when I had it I was banned from being near my boyfriend's house because his little sister is allergic to most antibiotics, therefore things like strep are really dangerous for her to catch...

I think you should probably let the friends at risk know you have it, if you haven't already, so they can keep an eye out for symptoms too.

That said, when I had it my boyfriend didn't catch it (despite all the spit-swapping as I was just developing it!), but my sister and mom did even though we never shared drinks or anything.

Here are some tips:

"Keeping Strep to Yourself
To prevent spreading the bacteria and infecting people around you, keep your eating utensils, dishes, and drinking glasses separate. Wash them in hot, soapy water after use. Don't share food, drinks, napkins, handkerchiefs, or towels. Cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze or cough to prevent passing fluid droplets to someone else. Wash your hands frequently, particularly after wiping or blowing your nose.

It's important to stay home for at least 24 hours until the antibiotics have had a chance to work. This helps prevent passing the strep infection to other people. Your doctor will tell you when it's OK to return to school and other activities."

-from KidsHealth

[ 12-19-2006, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: leabug ]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Hi,

Thanks for your advice everyone. I got the antibiotic, and my mom said that after 2 or 3 doses I shouldn't be contagious anymore. She's a pharmacist, so I figure she'll know how that stuff works.

I'm already feeling better, so that's good news with Christmas family gatherings coming up.

[Smile]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.