Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » What do YOU think are...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What do YOU think are...
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...your biggest barriers to sexual enjoyment?

In other words, if and when you have any troubles with arousal and/or orgasm -- whether it's an ongoing issue, or when it just happens sometimes, as it does for everyone -- for yourself, what would you say are the big reasons why?

For example, do worries about pregnancy and STIs create a barrier? Lack of trust? Lack of time or privacy? Performance concerns? Poor body image? Feeling like you don't know what to do, or can't communicate about sex well with partners or at all? Things just not feeling natural or easy for you?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67213 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faith54
Activist
Member # 27855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith54     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My biggest barrier pretty much in life is worrying too much. Last time I was over at my boyfriend's, my dad was recovering from violent stomach flu, and just that thought over my head prevented me from enjoying anything sexual. So if I have a lot of homework or chores to do, I don't get "in the mood" too quickly. Sometimes I find myself thinking "What would my parents say if they knew I was doing this?" and that can be a problem. Essentially, I suppose stress and family matters are my biggest barriers from enjoyment.

--------------------
"My grandmother never gave gifts- she was too busy being raped by cossacks." ~ Woody Allen

Posts: 107 | From: United States | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghostie
Activist
Member # 28874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghostie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never know what to do personally, I feel bad because I never want to go on top..because I just can't do it.. It doesn't feel good for me, I don't know how to move, and if I find a way which feels good for him I get cramps in my thighs and feet and eventually just get so tired I have to stop. It makes me feel bad because I wish I could do something like that for him for once without getting so tired...
This kind of dread and overall exhaustion all the time anyway makes it hard for me to get aroused in the first place [Frown]

Posts: 165 | From: England. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fille_francaise
Activist
Member # 20075

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fille_francaise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say that most of my "inabilities" come from my worrying. Since there is never a great place to make love to my boyfriend, we usually resort to doing it quietly so no one will wake up or hear. So, during those moments I'm usually more concentrated on that than anything else, which ruins the moment most of the time.

I also worry that I am not fully pleasing my partner, or that my body isn't... pretty enough.

Silly thoughts go into my head, most of the time. :]

Posts: 138 | From: Southern California, USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyLuck77
Activist
Member # 31504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLuck77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'll just be blunt and totally honest here. I enjoy vaginal sex immensely, and have never had any barriers to enjoying it. But oral sex is quite a different story. I have NEVER orgasmed or even come close to orgasm from oral sex...and I have been experiencing it for over ten years now. I think I was worried that some of my female fluids would be displeasing to my partner. Or the horrifying thought of a bad odor somehow being there -- even if I was scrupulous in cleansing myself. I still don't really know why I absolutely cannot enjoy oral sex. It's a great mystery to me.
Posts: 71 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Menthol
Activist
Member # 30995

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Menthol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it to be extremely hard to be around someone, nude, for the first time. I don't know why. I'm hardly a super-model, but i'm not an especially insecure person.

So often enough it takes several weeks or even months to work up the nerve to that that big step. After that, though, it's all gravy.

I've been fortunate in that my partners have all been understanding of this particular vunerability of mine... and that none of them have poked fun at me for critizied me or my appearance during that first delicate encounter.

--------------------
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction."
~Ayn Rand

Posts: 85 | From: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SmileyGuy1974
Activist
Member # 31422

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmileyGuy1974     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My biggest barrier to sexual enjoyment is stress.

Stress can take a couple of different forms for me. Whether it's partnered sex or solo sex, stress over work, life, etc. can diminish my sexual enjoyment. If my "mind" is on other things, it's not on sexual enjoyment; and if it's not on sexual enjoyment, then I don't experience that true mind & body connection that makes sex so great. In other words, it's difficult to get the most out of sexual activity when I'm thinking about the 25 files sitting on my desk at work.

The second kind of stress I feel is when I first engage in sexual activity with a partner. It's kind of like performance anxiety, but a little different. You see, I'm not so much concerned with impressing my partner with any sort of skill or technique. My performance anxiety stems from being a sexually liberal person. My concern is that my partner would be uncomfortable with my liberal approach to sex. I like to try to make sex fun and enjoyable, just as much as I try at other times to make it passionate and romantic. I think there can be just as much laughter in the bedroom as there is heavy breathing.

In any event, I've found that talking about sex with my partner (before engaging in it) clears the air about expectations and activities. It lets me see if I'm starting a relationship with a sexually conservative person (who I may need to help out of their shell) or a liberal person, like myself, who may actually bring me out of my own shell.

[ 01-02-2007, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: SmileyGuy1974 ]

Posts: 71 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Airem
Activist
Member # 24638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Airem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Biggest wall is the fear of pregnancy. it's not really a wall but a constant bothering after thought. I love making love to my gf but when were laying there afterwards the troubling thought works like clock work.
"what if the condom leaked and you didn't know it?" It kills me for a solid half hour to where i want to cry then i just forget about it and repeat the process

--------------------
As The Shadow Follows The Body, As We Think, So We Become.

Posts: 157 | From: Athens, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrowniesRock
Neophyte
Member # 30944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrowniesRock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...my biggest barrier to enjoyment is probably a lack of privacy. My boyfriend and I hardly EVER get any time alone, and we're nt even allowed to have bedroom doors closed. So, we always have to be very quiet and cannot take off any clothes or do anything that would put us in compromising positions if someone were to walk in. And when we are alone, it is usually only for 20 minutes or so, so we have to move quickly and are under constant anticipation of someone coming home. It's very difficult to lose yourself in the moment and fully enjoy the experience under such conditions.

Also, as I have previously posted, I have yet to have an orgasm (Possibly the result of not being able to relax and not having enough time to concentrate on finding out what "works" for me, now that I think about it). This can also be a barrier to enjoyment because any time things start to feel really good, I get to thinking that I'm finally about to orgasm and find myself anxiously awaiting orgasm rather than enjoying the moment.

Interesting thread, by the way.

--------------------
"Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life. Aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something."
- Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 23 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beach Girl
Neophyte
Member # 32103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beach Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shyness and just general inhibitions are my biggest barriers to sexual enjoyment. I know it would be more enjoyable for both my partner and I if I would take charge and be more active in the bedroom, but I feel like I just can't. I'm worried about doing something my partner will find silly. I am working on getting over this though, and I think things are going to improve.
Posts: 10 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MissSmarty
Activist
Member # 28387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissSmarty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right now I am not sexually active vaginally and am in every other way, but there are a couple of barriers that have hindered my enjoyment. The first one is pregnency concerns. I am constantly thinking about what touched what and if when I put the condom on my boyfriend precum somehow got on the outside. The second thing is my obsessive compulsive thoughts. I have a lot of different types of OCD probelms, including Pure O, which is pure obsessional thoughts. So if the OCD is acting up that definately gets in the way of my enjoyment.
Posts: 118 | From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katherose
Activist
Member # 22441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katherose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My boyfriend has a very busy schedual, so I certainly don't get to see him as often as I'd like. When I do get to see him, we're usually not alone. I don't really like him touching my vulva directly, it just doesn't feel very good and I'm not quite comfortable with it. I haven't been able to tell him this yet, but I'm working on it. I am insecure about my body, and even with constent reassurence, I still don't like it.
Posts: 45 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kluekozyte
Activist
Member # 29511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kluekozyte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The biggest barrier to fulfilling sex with my girlfriend is definitely a lack of time and a lot of parents (4, between the two of us, to be exact). It's awfully annoying when you're about to come and there there's a knock on the door that sends you scrambling for cover. I can't wait for more privacy.
Posts: 84 | From: NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summergoddess
Activist
Member # 11352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summergoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've been together over five years. We've come a long way overcoming sexual barriers. We used to have sexual barriers of lack of privacy and time before we moved in together almost two years ago. There have been other barriers such as stress or just being darn tired. That only happens on occasion.

For me, there isn't any barriers for me to enjoy sex at all. However, Isaiah worries at times of how loud we are when it comes to having sex because we're in an apartment, and there's still people living in the same building. I'm more vocal, and don't care, but he isn't. So I'm looking forward to him being more expressive and vocal during our love making once we have gotten our first house.

--------------------
~Jules

Posts: 369 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.