Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Pupil Affairs...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pupil Affairs...
kiera
Neophyte
Member # 31486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kiera     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is silly, and something that shouldn't be invested in too deeply, but it's kind of interesting:

I've heard that large pupils are considered an attractive quality in a sort of subconscious way, and when you encounter someone you fancy your body will sometimes react and enlarge its pupils so that this person will in turn fancy you as well.

I'm not sure if this is true, does anyone have a better explanation?

I'm finding myself looking at peoples' eyes a lot more lately...

Posts: 18 | From: MPLS | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lexie
Activist
Member # 29769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lexie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your pupils are the black bit in the middle of your eye, they change size depending on how much available light there is. The brighter, or more light there is, the smaller your pupil is. Dark.. the bigger. So.. its not really something you can control conciously. As to whether they change when you see someone you fancy, i mean perhaps when you are trying to see something better or more clearly...
Posts: 76 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ciara
Neophyte
Member # 33032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ciara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Besides the fact that they change with the light, certain chemicals in your brain affect them as well, such as THC and Alchohol...When you see someone you like your brain probably releases endorphins, which might in these cases cause your pupils to become larger. I guess it's one of those pheramone type deals where we are releasing them but don't realize that we are sending out a special perfume to attract a mate. Maybe our eyes do it too, they are of course the windows to our souls...

--------------------
Loving Life, Riding the road. Mitakuye Oyasin!

Posts: 15 | From: Rome Ga | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faerie88
Neophyte
Member # 33122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faerie88         Edit/Delete Post 
i heard that too from my friend who took psychology, so i'm thinking it's true even though i haven't looked it up yet
Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fonz
Activist
Member # 25706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fonz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
would anyone like to explain pheremones please? [Smile] just curious

--------------------
Nothing is right, but its perfect

Posts: 78 | From: Inner Sanctum | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.