Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » The best things YOU do for your body and soul! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The best things YOU do for your body and soul!
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know how difficult it can be sometimes, what with school and work and relationships and just maturing and changing and growing in general, to remember that you need to put YOURSELF as one of your highest (if not THE highest) priority in your life, and take some time every day, week, month, year (and so forth) to do something for YOU and your mental and physical well being; so, I figured, why not make a topic for everyone to discuss the best things you do for yourself, or to get some ideas from other users about what you could be doing to make you feel the best you can!

My suggestions for everyone

Save money to treat yourself to something just for you:
Even if it's just a couple dollars a paycheck, or allowance (some banks can actually help you out with this, by letting you open seperate savings accounts under your primary account, and even transfer money automatically each month to help you save - I've got one going at the moment, and $35 a month is going into a saving account so I can start planning way ahead for retirement, talk about being an ambitious, early-starter!) - whether it's for a movie you've wanted to add to your collection, or some money to treat yourself to dinner at a nice restaurant, or a piece of clothing you've got on layaway, or anything at all you might want to treat yourself to - and once you've saved up enough? Treat yourself! Not only does it feel great to purchase something for yourself, that you've saved up for and have been wanting for awhile, but it may also help you learn some saving tips, and how to avoid just putting everything on a credit card.

Especially when you're getting stressed or overwhelmed - take time for you to de-stress:
Whatever your method of de-stressing might be - go for a long jog, get a massage, take a bath (complete with candels and salts), catch up on the novel you've had sitting on your bedside table while drinking tea in a comfy chair, watch your favorite TV show, play your favorite music as lous as you can and dance and sing along, whatever! Just take some time and do it! Put whatever else you're working on aside, because even if you may have a lot to do and a deadline? You're not going to do much well if you totally overwork your body and brain!

Or, if you work better just pushing on and getting everything done? Write yourself a note, and give yourself a goal and prize when you finish! (Like: "Two more pages on this report to go! Then it's time for a bubble bath!")

Stay up to date on your medical check-ups:
I'm serious here! I HATE hospitals, hate 'em hate 'em hate 'em, but the two or three times a year when I've got to go get my check-ups done (annual gynecologist visit, annual physical, annual STI screenings, bi-annual tooth cleaning - which is my least favorite, yuck!), I'll suck it up and get them done as soon as I can. Why? Because your physical health is KEY for your overall well-being, of course! And once you know you're in good shape? You'll be able to smile happily knowing you're free until next year!

NEVER put your medical stuff on hold, because it's the sort of thing that can really build up on you and just make when you actually get in a ton worse (like the dentist - 30 minutes of uncomfortable tooth scraping? Or an hour or so of cavities being filled further down the line?).

Sleep, exercise, and eat well:
Another one that may sound like, "Yeah, duh." but come on! Sleep, good health and exercise should not be something you do "when you have the time" - they should be something that you figure out how to best make the time for! Yes, sometimes you are going to just be in a situation where you just can't get a good 7-9 hours, or where you're running late and have to skip breakfast, or are just too darn tired to do whatever you like to do to stay active, but get it in there the best you can!

Trust me, stress gets worse if you're not getting the proper nutrients to power your body, or a good amount of sleep to energize yourself, or if your metabolism and physical stamina/etc. are just draggy. So, it may seem like just another thing you need to fit in somewhere, but your body and productivity will thank you for it!

Things I do/have done recently for me

I'm a big book-worm, and even though I've been super busy with work, I like giving myself a little time to be reading something. So, even if it's a few pages a day, or during my lunch break, trying to read a new book will help me de-stress and keep my mind active!

I love Odwalla. Love it. And so? I drink at least one every day. It's good for me because it's nutrient-packed, and it always puts a smile on my face and in my tummy!

Massages! They're pricey to get a good one, but saving up and treating myself once or twice a year? It's heavenly, plus? If you're like me and get all tense and knotty? Your shoulders and back will thank you!

My favorite lotion - I have a Cedar lotion that I just love. It keeps my skin soft all day, and I love the soft, warm smell it has. So, I use it every morning and enjoy being around my good-smelling self all day!

Get some excercise for about half an hour a few times a week - I haven't been getting to it recently (I'm slacking on my own advice, eek!) but every time I get out of the gym I just find myself feeling so much more relaxed and healthier! I can tell when I'm not keeping myself in good shape, because I can feel it all over! I just don't sleep as well, don't have as much energy during the day, etc.

I'm a big body-art fan, both on others and on myself! And just the other day I started to get work done on a decently sized (and pretty painful!) second tattoo! I'm absolutely thrilled with it, because it's a piece of art I'm getting entirely because I want it, and because it represents something to me! It's a huge spirit-boost to not only know I have the ability to get through it (because, yikes, the last 45 minutes of shading were brutal!) but also for the personal, spiritual, mental energy it radiates from my own body!

Chocolate! I love dark chocolate, and I don't snarf it down every day (otherwise it wouldn't be as special!) but once or twice a week, I try to have a couple Godiva truffles on hand, so I can treat myself to a piece when I've had a long day and want something sweet!

SO, what do the rest of you do for just YOU? Whether it's getting out in the sun, a sport, a musical instrument, a hobby, a treat, or just some relaxing down-time, focus on the things that are good for your body and soul! [Smile]

[ 11-10-2006, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: dailicious ]

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today I paid for music. [Wink] Josh Groban just released a new CD this week, and I'm totally loving it. I also picked up the latest National Geographic, which I have read as long as I can remember.

I slept in until I felt like getting up. Fridays are my only true day off...I tutor on Wednesdays.

I'm playing around with Photoshop's capabilities, so I spent a good 2 hours or so mucking about with a drawing of mine. I discovered new things. I also realized how much I hate using a mouse to do all of this, but that's another post. [Wink]

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today I went shopping for the first time in the "misses" versus "teen" section of a department store!

It was wonderful to pass up the spaghetti straps and mini skirts, and mutter to myself just why the hell that's still there for fall, anyway.

I tried on clothes I liked, that fit me well, that covered me up, were affordable, and that made me feel good. A good portion wasn't what is considered "hot" right now, but you know what? I don't care. They're mine, and so is my new style.

I dyed my hair an amber brown versus my natural reddish-blonde which everybody usually croons over. A change is sometimes needed, despite what others say.

I made a decision that from now on, my beauty and sense of style will be on MY terms, and it felt great to realize it with that extra cash!

(Good suggestion on that, dai: good thing I follow that rule myself. [Smile] )

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of days ago I added a bright pink streak to my hair. Just one, that isn't at all visible if my hair's down, but that stands out quite nicely against my dark reddish-brown when I put my hair up. And just knowing it's there makes me happy.

This afternoon I realized I almost had enough saved up to get my first tattoo. I've had it planned out for ages, and I'm so thrilled that soon I'll finally be able to get it done!

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5758 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am getting my third tattoo done on Tuesday. I've been planning it for a while and I am so excited that I'll finally be able to afford it. I actually have two planned and I can only afford the smaller one, but still. I can't wait!

Another thing I do for myself on a regular basis is my Sunday ritual: At some point in the afternoon, I grab the book I am currently reading (unless I am really behind in class reading, then I take my class material) and walk downtown to my favourite coffee place. I will stay there, enjoy some coffee and read for at least an hour. I get some exercise walking there and back, I get coffee and I get to relax. All around goodness.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9186 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lindsaymarie
Neophyte
Member # 32055

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lindsaymarie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOVE this thread...

Lately, I've been eating really healthy and drinking only soymilk, juice, and water. I made a batch of whole wheat pumpkin muffins to eat for breakfast now that school is starting, so I don't end up just drinking coffee.

I love reading zines, so I just bought a bunch of zines to read that will make me happy.

I also love cooking, but I tend to just grab a can of something because I feel like I don't have time, but yesterday I bought a bunch of fresh ingredients, so I can cook and be happy. Plus, my cooking is way healthier than some frozen dinner.

I also love riding my bike. It makes me so happy, and feels really good, but sometimes I feel like it's too cold outside or I'm too lazy, but lately I've been making myself go for rides and I'm always happy I did.

Finally, I've planned a trip to Chicago for next friday that combines almost all of my favorite things. First i'm going to go to a vegitarian restaurant that's really good and they have a vegan bakery and I'm gonna get a cookie! Next stop is an independant music store, so I can buy a bunch of cds that you can't get at your local electronics chain. Finally, i'm gonna go to an independant book store with a lot of books and zines about stuff I'm interested in. So lets see... we've got Chicago, food, public transportation, cds, books, and zines. All things that I love, and the perfect end to a stressful week of finals.

Posts: 14 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*gold lion*
Neophyte
Member # 32209

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *gold lion*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow this is a cool thread, and this is also my first ever post!

today i drank more water than yesterday, because yesteday i was feeling tired and woozy all day.

I slept when i wanted to sleep. i felt tired at 7.30 this evening so i just shut my eyes, and it felt ever so goood.

I talked to my best friend on the phone, and promised i'd be at his gig a few fridays from now.

i worked hard at school, which always makes me feel good because i like being a busy body, doing things means i feel useful and appreciated

I tried extra hard and it paid off. i finally got an A* in maths!

i wrote a blog on my bebo [Smile] its the best way to vent things i would never say out loud.

i came to look round scarleteen cause it's a cool place to be!

--------------------
working on my ROAR!

Posts: 3 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PenguinBoy
Activist
Member # 28394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PenguinBoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For my body, not allot at the moment

But I've had a bit of an obsessive exercise thing every morning for the last few months, which kinda dissolved before Christmas because of deadlines and the like.

I don't really know what IS good for my body, and I'm still not sure whether I'm starving my soul or keeping my body healthy with eating healthier food. Or whether I'm damaging my body when I eat fat, or putting too much guilt on my soul for it. My guess is I should be somewhere in the middle.

I've started being a vegetarian which must be good for my soul somewhere along the line.

A good thing for my body, is regularly, wash and check for lumps [Big Grin] .

The best thing I do for my soul, is sing and make music.

--------------------
Jacob - my Scarleteen Blog - Please help sustain scarleteen

Posts: 633 | From: Bedfordshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
not_a_hobgoblin
Activist
Member # 29206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for not_a_hobgoblin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For my body, I went on a nice long hike with family and friend, and then ate a good healthy balanced dinner.

For my soul, I spent good times talking to my bestest friend (in person and on AIM), listened to music, wrote a quiz, daydreamed in the shower, read a little of my current book, and now I'm hangin' out in this rockin' awesome place talking to you guys! [Wink]

--------------------
"Cut her down."
"She is a witch!"
"But she's our witch. Cut her down."

Posts: 174 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not_a_hobgoblin - Awesome on the hike! I haven't had the chance to be recently, but I'm such an outdoorsy girl. It's been so snowy lately, too, the weather is just not pleasant-hiking-friendly. I can't wait for the summer to get up into the mountains this year! [Smile] I think hikes and being outdoors can be good for the body and soul!

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
not_a_hobgoblin
Activist
Member # 29206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for not_a_hobgoblin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hikes are good! Even in icky weather- it kind of teaches you to appreciate the good weather more and also gives you new challenges, like lakes overflowing your trail and then freezing onto it. [Mad]

--------------------
"Cut her down."
"She is a witch!"
"But she's our witch. Cut her down."

Posts: 174 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secrets89
Neophyte
Member # 33100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secrets89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I slept in a week and a half ago till 7am, doens't seem like much but it was I jsut finished my second week of uni (after we also moved meaning I have to get up at 4 now, cursed buses) anyway back on topic ....and I was dead, and I'm trying not to fall asleep on the bus as much it makes the sleep I do get better and my joints dont get as sore that and I have a hot breakfast and try to have a hot bath once a week.

Cool thread btw.

--------------------
"I don't like threats, I don't like bullies, and I don't like you!" ~Janeway

Posts: 1 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James the Dark
Activist
Member # 32379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James the Dark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only really big thing I do for myself is my scaldingly hot baths. The tub I have in my apartment is absolute shite, so I can't get a decent bath until I head back home. My mother's house has one of those super deep tubs, the ones that an infant would drown standing up in, and I fill that with plain water, hot enough to make soup in. Half an hour's scorching leaves me feeling boneless and silly, as well as losing several cubic centimeters worth of dead skin and icky stuff.
Trust me, if I had a hot tub, I'd never leave it.

--------------------
"And you're really asking me if I prefer injury to embarrassment? That's not even a choice. I don't know anybody who's literally died of embarrassment."

People are annoying sometimes.

Posts: 78 | From: Summerside, PEI, Canada | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by James the Dark:
Half an hour's scorching leaves me feeling boneless and silly, as well as losing several cubic centimeters worth of dead skin and icky stuff.

That's the most satisfyingly gross thing I've heard all week.
Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selkie
Activist
Member # 33078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Selkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhhh.. rest 'n' relaxation... nothing, in my opinion, can truly beat a very hot (but not scalding) bath, with maybe one or two li'll sweeties, and a new, good book. Heaven. I swear it is. When I'm in heaven, that is all I'm going to do.

--------------------
"Fear is the mind-killer"
-Don't be afraid.

Posts: 117 | From: I'd prefer to keep it private | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thismoment
Activist
Member # 36078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thismoment     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what? sitting on a swing and kicking feet up? or kneading dough/ some kind of baking mix? or cycling so fast your legs feel really strange, through mud, and going home, covered in mud, then to have a warm shower?
Posts: 79 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thismoment
Activist
Member # 36078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thismoment     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*what about... (should've been this!)
Posts: 79 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallchild
Activist
Member # 28780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fallchild         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most recent thing I did to treat myself was buy a Deluxe Lunapads Kit!!! I'm a little sad that they won't get here before my period's over, but they'll be awesome for the next one. I also made a rice sock for help with those cramps lol. Just put some rice in a clean tube sock, add a couple drops of essential lavender oil to the rice if you want, then tie off the top. Every time you microwave it the lavender smells really good! Putting that warm, lavendery goodness on my crampy abdomen feels awesome. I also make sure I have good food to eat. Whole wheat crackers, fruit, veggies, and a re-usable water bottle (not the cheap plastic ones that leach into your water YIKES!!) makes me a happy snacker.

--------------------
"It's better to die on your feet than live down on your knees"

Posts: 117 | From: SLC, UT | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissiowa
Neophyte
Member # 36923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlemissiowa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did soooo many things "just for me, cause I deserve it" in the past, that I ended up with something like 6,000 in credit card debt. All because "I deserved sushi after a stressful day at work" or "Finals have been killing me so I will get some new sexy underwear" or "I deserve only the best cosmetics because my face is the first things others see of me."

Now, I get to live in poverty everyday to try to save money to pay off this bill collectors. So don't get too happy about treating yourself!!!!

Posts: 5 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Littlemissiowa, you have been warned a few times now about your attitude. Here comes yet another- this thread is meant to be positive, so it's inappropriate to post warning people not to overspend- it's irrelevant. Please pay attention to the overall tone and purpose of threads before you post in them.)

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Independence_Day
Neophyte
Member # 39211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Independence_Day     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't really done much for me lately except a week or two ago, I gave myself a manicure and a pedicure. But this thread has inspired me to go do something nice for me. [Smile] Thanks people.

--------------------
I’m selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as h*** don’t deserve me at my best. --Marilyn Monroe

Posts: 13 | From: The Capitol of Creepatopia | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Koi
Activist
Member # 39785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Koi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think my way of treating myself is deceptively simple. No matter if I had a bad day or a good day, right before I go to sleep, I just lay there for a few minutes and let feelings of happiness wash over me. It really works and reminds me that I'm here to enjoy life.

I do this no matter how crappy I feel. I start listing things that I am grateful for. Sure, there are a few that are staples, like my wonderful family and friends, but I also try to think of new things, little things. Like the smile that guy gave me in the library, even though I don't know him, or the girl in class who lent me her pen.

Of course, sometimes I think it's just as hard (or even harder) to let yourself cry once in awhile, just because.

--------------------
"Love is the answer, but while you are waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions."

Posts: 171 | From: USA/CHINA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I try to get enough sleep, if I go short during the week I have a nice lie-in on a day off.

I listen to music that I like, I always have my CD walkman (I will be getting an ipod) with me, or maybe something on youtube.

I eat chocolate (fairtrade and organic) and other things that taste good to me, without worrying about them not being nutritious, because they make me happier and because it's my body.

I watch animation, lots and lots of it, to thrill my eyes (I just finished watching The Place Promised in Our Early Days and plan to work my way through Noein - To Your Other Self and a film called The Cat Who Walked by Herself, there is lots more).

I also watch comedy, because a good laugh can make me feel very happy, at the moment I'm working through Red Dwarf and Season 10 of the Simpsons, and perennial favourites include A Bit of Fry and Laurie (helped me get through my gran's death), Monty Python's Flying Circus, Fraiser, Scrubs, Azumanga Daioh, Smack the Pony, Father Ted, Spaced and Black Books.

I read, mostly feminist theory and graphic novels at the moment (I'm particularly enjoying "The Beauty Myth", "Xxxholic", "Moon Child" and "Electra and Wolverine: The Redeemer") and I'm also rereading Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (by Douglas Adams of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" fame).

I pet the cats and dogs in my life, and play with them.

I masturbate, leaving myself in a state of post orgasmic bliss each time and wanting to jump up and down on the bed and sing.

I sing, to enjoy having a voice and because I like the way I sound and I love music.

I spend time with my friends.

I have that good cry once in a while.

I always dress for comfort and seldom look in the mirror.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to add that I don't believe in souls, and I read science books as part of my body and brain care. I also now have an iPod, which has added to my enjoyment of music (I love the shuffle feature). I also dance, it's so much fun to twirl and shake and make big gestures all over my small-to-moderate sized room. One thing I'd like to do more for me is to go swimming, or more accurately to go to a swimming pool and have fun diving, bombing, jumping, somersaulting and seeing how long I can swim underwater for before I have to come up to the surface (if these things are permitted at that swimming pool), preferably there will also be slides on which I am permitted to go. (just have to not go with someone who gives me the "swim lengths, set targets, exercise is vital..." talk, because exercise may be fun sometimes, but not if I'm doing it when I have no interest and am just doing it to fulfill someone else's desire for me to be skinny and full of pep, and when there is something else I want to be doing instead while I'm in that particular location).

[ 04-22-2009, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Jill2000Plus ]

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chocolicious
Neophyte
Member # 38714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chocolicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I write lists of all the things that make me amazing. It's good to remind yourself, because a lot of people love to make you forgot why you're just so special.

When I'm angry I write to calm myself down- catharsis. I try my very hardest to never take it out on others.

I look at myself in the mirror and I smile. :]

And I talk to other amazing people who make me feel just a bit more cooler for being in their spotlight.

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."-- Dr. Seuss

Posts: 9 | From: Las Vegas | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because it's that kind of afternoon, as many have been lately (YAY!), going outside in the yard -- I'm so lucky to have one w/my rental -- rolling some beats out from my adjacent office and spending even just a half hour hula-hooping in the sun is a heaven for my body and my mind.

Bonuses today? For one, I FINALLY freaking got some tricks down to move my hoop from my waist to my hands and back without stopping: for two years, it's pretty much been stuck in either place, with my having to stop to switch.

Second? This is the second day this week I have been able to do that and then go into my small garden and harvest a bunch of ripe strawberries to eat afterwards. Again: heaven.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68189 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually just got back from a week away with my boyfriend and a group of friends. Thanks to my cousins at family reunions always bringing sports equipment, I learned early to love playing friendly games - so I spent a lot of time in the yard with the guys tossing a football, playing soccer, practicing horseshoes (which I'm not very good at but they always let me play anyhow) and anything else we found time to fit it. In the evenings, we spent time around the fire telling stories, laughing, and then finishing the day out with board games or cards. It was the best relaxation I could have asked for - and totally brought me home in great spirits.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3428 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jilly bean13
Neophyte
Member # 43609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jilly bean13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I try to do goood things for my body and when I am feeling down I try to cheer myself up.
For my body I try to eat healthy like veggies and fruit, I read that citrus fruit can put you in a happier mood. I like to go to the gym right after work. I go to a calss which reaaly gets me pumped and a good workout or I do my own thing.
I like to change my haircolor if it gets boring to me I recently dyed it black and am loving it.
I also like shopping for different styles and changing things up a bit.
I like to read somtimes. I can read for hours if its a good book and it keeps my mind off of stressful things. I love to watch a good comedy that always makes me laugh and laughing is always good!
When I'm feeling kinda down I sumtyms draw to get out my feelings and emotions or do something artsy.
Being in the sun really puts me in a good mood! I also love just cruisin in the car lisnen to ma favorite tunes with the windows down all the way.
Volley ball always fun good for body:) Singing in the shower is great! Oh and chocolate I could not live without!
Every once in a while just getting a drunk lol not too drunk though thats always fun and makes you happy lol maybe not the best advice but hey i enjoy it. I think there are lots of little things to do for yourself to improve your body and to make you a happier healthier person!

--------------------
live and let live

Posts: 26 | From: minnesota | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shiro
Neophyte
Member # 44305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shiro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a puppy a month ago.
While she chews on everything I haven't realized to put on the top shelf, has accidents daily, and drives me nuts by not understanding the meaning of "NO!", she's still a big bundle of joy.
It feels good to be responsible (and being responsible about it!) for someone's welfare, and watching them grow and develop.

Also getting A LOT of exercise.
Bum feels more perky already.
[Wink]

Posts: 21 | From: Europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is today's Fat-Free February featured thread on Scarleteen's Facebook and Twitter pages. In celebration of Fat-Free February, let's continue sharing the great things about who we are and what we like to do! [Smile]

What are the best things YOU do for your body and soul?

[ 02-03-2010, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Ecofem ]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rainyrocks9
Neophyte
Member # 47310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rainyrocks9     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a teenager i love writing! It gets out any excess anger that i have been keeping in during the day, and it's fun:) Also: YOGA. It's so calming, especially if you have been running around crazily!! Whenever you get hungery, try something really good that you love:D For me, it's catfish, or pasta..yum. Plus, if you just feel all bunched up in a knot, take a nice bubble bath and rub some scented lotion on(lime and coconut) [Smile] but yes, there are lots of ways to feel better and healthier. These are just a few!!

--------------------
I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. Marilyn Monroe

Posts: 9 | From: USA, TX | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Currently, I'm trying to draw porn, because I want to someday write and illustrate an awesome graphic novel (or possibly do an animated work in some format) full of explicit, enthusiastically consensual sex (solo and partnered), lots of different types of relationships, and great music, it's my current dream, to make something arousing and thoughtful and full of love and beauty (I don't mean conventionally attractive characters, I mean the effort and time put into every aspect of the work), I've decided I definitely want to take another art course next year to hone my skills, because creating visual art is something I really enjoy (my other wants for what to do next year in addition to either retaking my Maths GCSE or taking my English GCSE are a language learning course or guitar lessons, both are appealing but I really do want to learn how to draw my own species' body, in all it's diversity of shape, size, colour, weight, age and the emotions it's expressing, and learn how to animate it, more than those other two things).

I love cuddling and kissing my boyfriend and making love/having sex with him (in any kind of sex I'd want to have, the two terms are interchangeable, not that I need my partner to use both of them, but just that I wouldn't want to have sex with someone I didn't know well enough to love, even if I wasn't in love with them). Seeing him look so happy and loving when he's pleasuring me, I know I want to grow old with him, I love talking to him on the phone or in person too.

I don't always have time to do it, but if I do I like to make cards for those I love the most on their birthdays or other special occasions, in part it's because sometimes I can't budget well enough to afford bought gifts, but mostly it's just because it's a really good way to make a really personal present and show my love for someone, and I love being creative.

I'm not really always a huge fan of showers, or maintaining personal hygiene in general (the effort! [Razz] ) but sometimes a nice, long shower is just the thing, sometimes I masturbate in there, sometimes I just enjoy the feeling of warm water running over my body, making sure I'm completely clean and revelling in being naked and how my body's just fine the way it is.

I cuddle my cuddly toys/stuffed animals (not actually dead animals, they are made of plants and/or synthetics).

I sit in the garden and enjoy the sunshine (we do have it in the u.k., honest [Wink] ), I always make sure to wear sunscreen if it's really hot and my sunhat if it feels necessary and I just bought a big bag of icecubes and some lime cordial and unconcentrated orange juice so I'll be having tasty cold drinks out of the awesome mugs I bought at the anime festival (one has Sakura and Syaoran from Cardcaptor Sakura and the other has Death the Kid and Liz and Patty the Thompson Twins from Soul Eater).

I go to gigs, it's great fun seeing a band live.

--------------------

Dexher
Neophyte
Member # 47247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dexher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a great thread!

When I want to relax, I go and take a shower and get real clean on the outside, then I take my time cleaning my teeth. There's nothing quite like having a perfectly clean mouth after a day spent eating weird food in weird places.

After that I go to my room and hide in there for a while, reading or playing around on my computer.

Posts: 10 | From: Alabama | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ruddy_duck
Neophyte
Member # 48014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ruddy_duck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back when school was still in session, I was exercising religiously, doing pilates and yoga. It felt awesome, and my muscles were working way better! I don't have the same resources here, but I'm totally getting back into that when I get back.

I haven't been so good to my body lately, being at home instead of at college. But I'm working on eating more healthy food more regularly and *gasp* cooking when I get back. I can't wait!

--------------------
"To free yourself is to exist."
-Augusto Boal

Posts: 13 | From: The Midwest | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E_Marie
Neophyte
Member # 99360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for E_Marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a cheap microwaveable heat bag, ahhh!
Posts: 30 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.