Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Thongs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thongs
newalias
Neophyte
Member # 15509

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newalias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that if you wear thongs a lot you get UTI's and my cousin told me that happens to her friend a lot so she drinks cranberry juice and it goes away.
Is it true that if I start wearing thongs I will get a UTI?
and is drinking cranberry juice as a treatment a fact or a myth?

Posts: 18 | From: everywhere | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarHallie
Activist
Member # 27531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarHallie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, thongs are not really any different from regular panties when it comes to contact with your urethra, so I'd say that, no, thongs wouldnt "cause" a urinary tract infection.

Urinary Tract Infections are most common from having sex. Both partners urinating before and AFTER sex will alleviate the risk of having UTIs.

Anything, however, that causes bacteria to get in the urethra, can cause a UTI as well, not just sex. But having sex hosts the possibility of getting lots of bacteria in the urethra.

I've had plenty of UTIs. They're painful, ridiculously uncomfortable, and take a little while to get rid of. Some UTIs made me not want to leave the house. I felt like I had to pee every two minutes, and when I did, it felt like someone was stabbing a knife up my urethra. It could be different for others, but for me, it was REALLY bad. When I started making it a ritual to urinate before and after sex, I stopped having them.

If you end up with a UTI, "cranberry juice" usually won't help, considering cranberry juice is usually sold in "coctail" form...and isn't pure. It usually is sold in the Ocean Spray brand, etc, and contains WAY more kinds of juice than just cranberry.

If you can get your hands on PURE cranberry juice, this may alleviate the symptoms of a UTI, considering cranberry juice is very helpful in cleansing out the urinary tract.

Instead of drinking juice, though, I have a big bottle of pure cranberry capsules, a supplement made by "trunature" (that I got from costco for seven dollars). Pop a couple of those bad boys if you're feeling like you're about to get a urinary tract infection, and you're golden.

But the best course of action, if you already have a UTI, is to call up your doctor. He or she can prescribe you an antibiotic to clear the infection in a couple of days.

(Usually doctors will write you a perscription over the phone and send it on over to your pharmacy if you KNOW you have a UTI...and/or can explain the symptoms you're having precisely. This usually requires a) a really nice doctor who isn't seeking his co-pay, and b) your having a UTI already, so that your doctor trusts you can diagnose it yourself. It's fairly obvious that you have one, once you've already had one.)

Sorry if that was a long reply, but I've had so many of these, I'm an expert by now! :-) Hope it helped.

[ 04-17-2006, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: StarHallie ]

--------------------
"Sex without love is an empty experience, but as empty experiences go, it's one of the best."
-Woody Allen

Posts: 231 | From: California, USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Per thongs, because that string of material is right at the anus, sometimes that string can help bacteria get to your perineum and vulva that wouldn't otherwise.

It's thought to possibly cause an increase in bacterial vaginal infections (BV) and also possibly UTIs for that reason, same as wiping from back to front, rather than front to back, when using the toilet is.

Cranberry juice is an awesome preventative for UTIs. It'll also sometimes knock out very mild UTIs, but for the full-blown infections, often antibiotics are needed.

(So, if your pal keeps getting them again and again, it's possible that only her SYMPTOMS are going away each time, but not the actual infection. If she's had more than a couple in the last six months, she should see her doctor to be sure.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thongs can slightly increase the risk of UTIs or vaginal infections - because of their design, it's easier for bacteria to move from the anus to the vagina or urethra, causing infection. So, if you're gonna wear thongs, don't wear them every day - alternate with breathable cotton panties at least every few days.

Just another note on the cranberry: cranberry capsules or pure cranberry juice are great for PREVENTING UTIs, but they will not cure an infection - you need antibiotics for that. Don't try and cure yourself with cranberry if you feel you've got a UTI; get to the doc and get treated. (Trust me, I've tried the whole cranberry thing, it didn't work as a cure, and I ended up with a nasty kidney infection.)

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.