Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » funky periods and PMS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: funky periods and PMS
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My last period was early May. One before that was March, and the one before that was November. I know it's normal for them to be irregular after having a baby, but he's nearly a year old and I barely breastfed.

Plus, I've had severe PMS symptoms, constantly, for the last two months. The last few weeks I've had the typical pregnancy "symptoms" as well, but I took a test a week ago and it was negative. I'll probably get another but I know for 99% sure I'm not pregnant.

I think people around me are starting to think that my PMSing is just my personality, and that's not good for anyone.

Anyway, is it normal/healthy for someone's period schedule to be more a 2-3 month rather than the one month cycle?

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What were your cycles like before you were pregnant?

If you were irregular before, it's likely that you're just falling back into the same pattern (however odd it might have been) that they were before the baby. Some women just have longer cycles than others as well.

In terms of the constant PMS-ish symptoms, have you been under a lot of stress lately? Remember that overall stress and strain in our lives can appear in our physical bodies in unexpected ways.

Have you talked to your doctor about this?

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started it this morning, finally. Woohoo.

Before my pregnancy I had fairly regular cycles, 28-32 days almost always.

I don't really have a doctor because I don't have health insurance. But I just applied to a basic health program and am waiting (and crossing my fingers) to hear back. It's been a year since Nolan was born so I'm due for a regular gyno exam anyway, although I know they'll just try and put me back on the pill, which I don't want to do.

As for stress... I've been stressed out my whole life it seems. I know I've missed periods from it, but it seems like I couldn't have possibly been in such a constant state of stress that I've missed over half my periods in a year. I'm not a fan of what the pill or anti-deppressents do to my body so maybe I'll try yoga.

Thanks KittenGoddess.

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(FYI, just dropped you an email about something else entirely.)

You know, this is EXACTLY what the PACT program is made for (I'm on it, too). If you're uninsured, ALL your GYN care and birth control costs are covered, full-stop. So, you CAN get this care, and just apply right at the center you go to, on the day of your visit, and it's easy as pie.

And lucky you, you're also near a branch of one of the last remaining feminist independent reproductive healthcare centers left in the states: the Cedar-River clinic system (remember the cool woman who spoke at my book release party here? She was from there) has a brnach near you, and I assure you, woman-based repro health care will NOT try and push you on the pill if that didn't work for you.

You can call them at: 253-473-6031. Tell them you want to apply for the PACT program and need a general exam and to talk about menstrual problems. if you do need/want a birth control method, tell them you're coming in for that, too (PACT even covers just condoms).

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Emailed you back.

I totally forgot about that clinic! I know right where it is - I told off an abortion protester in front of there a few months ago. As Nolan and I were walking by she tried to point me out as "godly" because I'm young but kept my baby anyway. [Roll Eyes] Thanks for the number, I'll call as soon as this bleeding is over.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.