Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » cycle help for friend

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: cycle help for friend
sheryll
Activist
Member # 25105

Icon 2 posted      Profile for sheryll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my friend (shes 18) doesnt know how she would predict when her periods show up. she says she is irregular. she has recorded her cycle lengths since july 2005.

[ 05-17-2006, 03:58 AM: Message edited by: sheryll ]

--------------------
But I know if I could do it over, I would trade, give away all the words that I saved in my heart that are left unspoken.

Posts: 70 | From: MA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if she has an irregular cycle, like she has reported, there is no real way she can predict when her period will come.

The best she can do at this stage is keep track of when her periods begin, as that comes in handy for gynecology visits to know. Has she started seeing a gynecologist yet, on that subject? If not, it would be a good thing to do now, and she can ask then about the cycle irregularity.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She's right, that's pretty irregular, which makes it impossible to predict accurately.

It's pretty common for cycles to be irregular during the first five years or so, but they'll likely get more regular and predictable as she gets older.

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sheryll
Activist
Member # 25105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sheryll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay. thanks. now i have a question for my self. is it true that your cycle can vary depending on the women you are around? like if you had a cycle at 26 days then 36 days and you were with that friend alot and she also has 36 days. i have heard that women that are together usually have periods around the same time and was wondering if that was true or just a coincidence

--------------------
But I know if I could do it over, I would trade, give away all the words that I saved in my heart that are left unspoken.

Posts: 70 | From: MA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's true that if you are living closely with another woman, your cycles are likely to tune in with each other.

Another thing you might want to mention to her friend is, if she can, to chart her ovulation, and other signs that her body might give her. Before I went on the pill my cycles weren't completely regular, but I usually had a pretty good idea of when my period would come because it'd be a little over a week after I felt myself ovulate.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greenapp1es
Activist
Member # 28071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greenapp1es     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if this is still accurate, but I learned in bio that that was one of the effects of female pheremones....where the female bodies reacted to the presence of another's pheremones and could "sync up". It was explained as a hormonal phenomenon, and only really occured with constant and frequent contact with other women, such as all of the women on one floor of a dorm having roughly coinsiding periods. I don't think it changed period length though, but more roughly coordnated the ovulation date.

Anyway, this is at least a couple years old...so if anyone has more up to date information on the subject I'd be curious to know if that still holds up.

Posts: 96 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sheryll
Activist
Member # 25105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sheryll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i looked it up online. it says it is still accurate today and that more research is being put into it. thanks for the help.

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.