Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Regaining Weight?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Regaining Weight?
Etienne
Neophyte
Member # 24877

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 5'0" and generally weigh about 98 lbs. and 19 years old. I have a problem with a tendency to lose weight very quickly even though my usual weight is still underweight. On a few occasions I've even lost a few pounds, gained back a pound or two in the next few days, and then lost it again. Aside from stress or not eating properly for a few days, I have a very high metabolism which seems to cause half of my problems. This weight loss sessions always leave me feeling weak, sometimes a little nauseous, and generally crappy. First, what's the best way to regain weight from sudden drops like this? It seemed to me that eating a bunch all at once isn't the best way to go. Second, what's the best way to stay at a healthy weight, even with a high metabolism? I try to eat enough, but I also have a notoriously small appetite.

Thanks for help in advance.

Posts: 4 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something that may help your appetite is eating many small meals throughout the day, rather than trying to get in all your calories in just a few.

Also, when looking to gain weight, what's important is to be sure you're getting proper nutrients in what you eat- especially proteins and calcium. In addition to getting enough calories healthily, exercise is important. What sort of activities do you participate in? Things such as walking and jogging can strengthen muscles in your legs, and if you want to look into new activites to join have you ever considered boxing or kickboxing? Additionally some free-weight training (with just using 5 or so pound dumbbells) can help build upper body muscle. For people who are naturally small bodied, building muscle mass through muscle is a good way to balance your weight and stay healthy.

Have you spoken to a doctor about this at all? You may be able to be referred to a nutritionist or the doctor may be able to help you directly to find out what sort of diet you should be getting daily and how many calories you should be getting daily to reach and maintain a healthy weight and NOT go through daily/weekly weight fluctuations- which will most certainly wreak havoc on your body, leaving you like you've described.

People naturally have weight fluctuation throughout the day related in large part to food consumption and water retention, but not in the way you are describing, so that would definitely be a good thing to bring to a doctor's attention to make sure there isn't anything wrong with your body aside from stress reactions or bad eating habits that is causing this.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has your doctor ever mentioned anything about your thyroid? Some people with hypermetabolism, have thyroids that run in overdrive. That boosts metabolism, but it eventually ends with the thyroid burning out and shutting down. You might wanna ask your doctor about your thyroid. Getting it checked out and treated (in case there is a problem) will do a lot of good for your health later down the line.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although your height and weight is considered underweight on most BMI calculators, it's not unusual at all.

I'm 5'1" and have weighed no more than 98 lbs. for most of my adult life. When I have gained weight, it's due to inactivity (my max is 103 lbs) and I lose that quickly when I start working out again.

To keep the weight on, you should count your calories in addition to eating several smaller meals. For your age, weight and activity level, you need between 1300 and 1600 calories a day to maintain your weight. That means you should aim for at least 2000 calories a day to gain.
You may actually be eating a lot fewer calories than you need, without realizing it.

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.