Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Why Do I Still Have A High Heart Rate?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why Do I Still Have A High Heart Rate?
angelchat
Neophyte
Member # 25773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angelchat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried to do some investigating online, but cant seem to find anything that might pertain to me.

I had double lung nemonia a month ago and almost died from it. That started the high heart rate. From that I got mono and still have it, my spleen is moderately enlarged 14 x 8 the doctor said. My heart rate is still high. My doctor knows this, and is worried about it not going down. But she also said she doesnt know whats causing it. She said that if it stays up for a long period of time, and doesnt come down or goes higher, i could have a heart attack.

Thing is my dad had 2 heart attacks and died from the second one. So it runs in the family. Also before the nemonia everything was normal i never had a problem.

So what do you guys think is going on, and is there any other tests that can be done? I've had heart tests, blood tests, etc when i was in the hospital, but nothing shows up or so i've been told. Any suggestions?

Sorry for it being so long.

Posts: 38 | From: Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your doctors don't know what's going on with your heart, it's highly unlikely anyone here is going to know.

What is your heart rate at right now? Are you taking any medications (certain meds can cause increased heart rate in some people)?

Unfortuneatly, there's not much i can tell you. If your heart rate goes too far over 100 beats/minute (this depends what your normal resting heart rate is right now too) or you have any chest pain, you need to get yourself to the emergency room.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelchat
Neophyte
Member # 25773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angelchat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be on a lot of prescription narcotics for severe nerve damage pain. But the doctor that was looking after me when i had nemonia took me off everything. Plus my other doctor (not my family one), was instructed to be careful with any meds that might cause me problems in the future. I've been on some of the same meds for 3-4 years or so.

As for my heart rate its been over 100 since the nemonia. Mind you i'm not doing anything to make it stay there ( exercise, going out consistently), I've been resting cause of the mono. It's been up as high as 146, i believe thats the highest so far, but i could be wrong. I was told by my family doctor it should be around 60-80.

So i dont know really what to do. But i see her again Jan 5th, and if its still high, I'm gonna ask what can be done again. But she doesnt know what can be done, cause she doesnt know whats causing it. She said it should of went down by now.

Posts: 38 | From: Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelchat
Neophyte
Member # 25773

Also on my last visit Dec 14th, i told her i was having some chest pains, but she said it was in the chest wall, and that if it were to get worse or have heaviness in the chest to go to emerge right away. But the pains arent always there, they come and go, so i dont think its bad enough for another trip to the hospital. But if it does get worse, i'll be going.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.