Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Don't want to go further...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Don't want to go further...
Kotori
Activist
Member # 17839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kotori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've recently realized I have some sort of slight eating disorder... The thing is, I've been feeling really depressed lately - my boyfriend has left me, I've spent lots of days without knowing anything about him and what he'd be doing/thinking -, and because of that I got this typical 'knot in the stomach' feeling that you usually get in this kind of stressing situations.

Then I started to skip meals, due to that sick feeling - breakfast, maybe even lunch -, until I got to the point of eating just two meals a day - a light lunch and a light dinner -. That happened during the last week, and lasted for four or five days.

Right now, even though I'm getting over the situation - rethinking everything, getting help and advice from my friends, who I didn't want to see while I was depressed, etc -, it seems I've lost my appetite or something. The mere thought of eating makes me feel bloated, and I eat a much smaller amount than what I ate before all of this happened. I've even stopped eating snacks in-between-meals altogether, because I just don't feel like eating. I have lost a couple of kg due to all this - I weigh around 52 kg right kow -.

I feel glad that I've realized what is happening to me before it really becomes serious, and I want to stop this situation altogether. Since I seem to get full so easily, I think that a way of eating more would be eating in small amounts, but more meals every day. Would that be a good thing? I'd like to get some advice on all of this...

[This message has been edited by Kotori (edited 09-26-2005).]

Posts: 80 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really stressful situations can definitely have a big impact on appetitie. What's good is that you have recognized this and can work up to getting back to eating normally.

Right after my parents started talking about getting divorce and my dad moving out of our house I didn't eat (or I would eat very little very rarely) for about a week simply because I had no appetite at all, and I lost a few pounds because of it. But the less stressed I got about it and the better I became about forcing myself to eat small meals I got back to eating normally, so it definitely doesn't have to be a perminent thing.

I'd think you have the right idea to begin with, just try to eat small, healthy meals or snacks throughout the day. Especially try to eat a little something in the morning, since that will give your body something to start metabolizing so you'll be able to increase your appetitie throughout the day. Things like yogurt and fruit, or snacks that will get you protein like peanut butter on crackers or mixed nuts, or similar things. Definitely avoid junky foods like potato chips or candy or fast foods, though, since those are more likely to make you sick and not get you the nutrition you need now that your body is already missing some of its nutrients from you not eating as much.

Try this for a little while and see if that helps slowly increase your appetite.Your metabolism is probably a lot slowe right now because you haven't been eating as much, so it may take a little bit for it to come back up to speed, but the more you can increase your food intake the better it will get about metabolizing the foods and getting your energy and appetitie up.

If you've found that you're still not able to eat well or are still skipping meals or you don't have an appetite, etc. in a week or two, you may want to go into a doctor since there may be soemthing else like an iron defficency keeping your appetite low or your body slowed down. You may consider even doing that now, but if you want to try eating more throughout the day on your own first, that should be alright, too.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sometimes helps me to write in my agenda: "breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack" or something like that. It can help sometimes to have it written down, since my body won't tell me to eat.
Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.