Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » 17 and voice hasn't changed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 17 and voice hasn't changed
hellrider17
Neophyte
Member # 25587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hellrider17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey im 17 almost 18 years old and my voice hasn't changed. It sounds like im 10 years old and its really annoying. Is there any reason for this and can i do anything about it?
Posts: 4 | From: alpharetta,GA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
The sound of your voice is controlled by your genes. Some men's voices never drop and that can carry on to a son. You can't force it down.

------------------
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

- Galileo

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
guy3425
Neophyte
Member # 25671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guy3425     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You also might not have gone through puberty all the way maye you will get a deeper voice as you get older
Posts: 8 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonton
Neophyte
Member # 19001

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be proud! I'm a strong musician, I'm one of the top singers in the whole county. I'm also one of the lowest basses in the state. I'm very scrawney...tall, but scrawney. My voice sometimes startles people because it doesnt seem to fit my physical proportions. In my experiences, I've seen a lot of people with very different vocal ranges. I've seen some HUGE 30 year old football player type people that were over 6 feet tall and weighed a good 250-300 pounds, who had the voice of an 8 year old girl. Sure, that is unique, but it's actually an amazing gift in some peoples cases. Sometimes it can be embarassing and "less macho man", but it's part of who you are. I was lucky when it came to my voice changing. I was in 8th grade, and my voice could easily pass for a 10 year old girls voice. Then one morning I woke up with no voice at all. My voice was lost all the next day. The next morning I woke up and I sounded like a completely different person. No one recognized my voice, and I would scare myself when I spoke. So my voice quite litterally changed overnight. I went from having an unusually high voice for an 8th grader, to having an unusually low voice for an 8th grader. Some peoples voices take decades to change, some change overnight, and some never change.
One of my music idols is Paul McCartney's drummer. I just had a brain fart and I cant remember his name. He is the guy that I described in the first few sentences (huge guy, tiny voice).

Anyways, my point:
There's really nothing you can do about it except love it and care for it, because IT is part of you.
Just my 2 cents...
~Jonton

Posts: 39 | From: Sterling, VA, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your contribution to this discussion, Jonton. You make a powerful point very eloquently.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.