Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » depression?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: depression?
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lately I've been really tired, and anti-social, and just lonely and sad.

I looked up on the internet about symptoms of depression, and it turns out I have a heck of alot of them. I know that just because you have 'symptoms' of something it doesn't mean you have it, but out of about 20 symptoms I have almost all of them!

I just don't understand why I should be depressed though, nothing bad has happened to me, and I really don't have any reason to be sad, but I am alot of them time, I sleep alot, and just have no energy whatsoever.

Should I mention this to my mom? I think she would think I was crazy if I said "I think I'm depressed" but I don't know what else to do! I don't like being tired and no energy to go hang out with my friends.

Both my parents have been on medication for depression as well, and I've heard it's hereditary, is that true?

Anyways, any input would be appreciated.

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clinically diagnosed depression is a serious thing, and is thought to be related to a hormonal imbalance (which may be why you are thinking "Why am I feeling this way?")

While I don't know for sure if depression is hereditary, if your parents were treated for it, it may be something running in your family. (It IS proven that children growing up in families with depression problems are more likely to have it as well)

You should definetly mention it to your mom, so you can get help. While everyone feels depressed or sad at some point in their life, it is not always depression, which is a serious medical condition. You can get presciptions to help if it is indeed what is wrong, but I would certainly get checked out, for your well being, as well as that of others.

------------------
Good luck!
-Jam

[This message has been edited by JamsessionVT (edited 09-18-2004).]

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bobbyflay
Activist
Member # 19955

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bobbyflay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of people have depression and I believe you can do many things to help your situation. I believe depression is not hereditary although many scientists seek to find a genetic answer to everything.

I think that exercise and having goals in your life will help you wonderfully. Making sure you take care of your body and soul will do great for yourself. Talking to your mom would be a good idea but getting medicine in my opinion should the last resort. Taking the steps I mentioned above and being positive should improve your wellbeing.

Thank you

Posts: 67 | From: Raleigh,NC | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger3
Neophyte
Member # 19365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Celery, everyone gets sad, its natural. I had the same problem over the summer, I didn't have a lot of friends and I didn't really talk to anyone. One day I started talking to someone I go to school with on the internet and asked if they would like to do anything, and we went to a movie with some other people. It felt good to just to talk to someone, even if for only 5 minutes. Go out and strike up a conversation with someone, and just talk. Maybe ask them if they would like to go somewhere, into town to get a pizza with some friends or go to a school dance. It's always fun to meet new people, so go out and try it!
Posts: 34 | From: Northfield,MN,U.S | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Londongirl
Activist
Member # 18235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Londongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Celery, if you find you can't stop feeling like this with the regular measures that have been suggested, it is possible you have depression. However being tired can can be a symptom of lots of other problems too, so you might want to get a check up from your doctor to make sure there is no physical problem.

If you still feel you need help with this I would suggest talking to a counsellor as a first step. Even if you have no idea why you feel sad, a counsellor can help you with that.

Regarding depression being genetic or not, genetics can be a risk factor in psychological health, but even if you have an inherited predisposition to psychological problems, that does not mean you will definitely develop problems. So no-one is genetically doomed to have psychological problems.

------------------
Londongirl
Thirtysomething and not actually counting
Who the **** is Londongirl?

Posts: 352 | From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.