Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » pads and yeast infections

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pads and yeast infections
shawnsgirl
Neophyte
Member # 18249

Icon 3 posted      Profile for shawnsgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend told me her momtold her that she once had a yeast infection and it was caused by her using pads during her period all the time, could that be possible?
Posts: 13 | From: New Orleans,LA,US | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if using pads could cause a yeast infection, but i know they can (and often do) cause similar symptoms (itching, burning, reddness).

If you're experiencing any of these, it might be time to look for a change. We have quite a bit of info kicking around here about alternatives to pads and tampons.

Check it out! http://www.scarleteen.com/body/ontherag_5.html http://www.scarleteen.com/pink/washable.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum22/HTML/000087.html

(If you think you have a yeast infection, it's a good idea to get it checked out with your doctor than trying to 'wait and see' or treat it yourself, if you're unsure.)

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The chances of a pad being the cause of a yeast infection are very low. Yeast is actually a fungi that exists in our mouths, skin, and gastrointestinal tracks. Our bodies produce bacteria that keep it in check though But when the fungi developes and exceeds the bodies ability to control it, that's when a yeast infection develops. It can happen if you are weakened by stress or ilness. It's more common among people who retain a lot of moisture in their clothes. So technically, since pads retain the moisture from your body, it could happen. But pads are designed to keep the moisture away (most are anyway) so the likelyhood of you having to worry about yeast infections from pads is not huge.

All you have to do to make sure is change your pad a couple times a day when you are menstrating. Most pads have "wet-lock protection" or something similiar to keep moisture away from your body.

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and yet, that "wet-lock" protection often involves plastics which can help bacteria to breed, and they, and bleaches used in commerical pads can knock the vaginal flora out of whack.

Some people are more sensitive to the materials, fibers and chemicals in commercial pads than others. So, if your friend swapped over to organic cotton pads, washable cotton pads or mesntural cups and found she stopped getting the infections, then yes, her pads could have been the culprit.

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Londongirl
Activist
Member # 18235

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Londongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it possible to get organic cotton disposable pads? Would probably have to be on-line for me as I'm in the UK.

I've been suffering from soreness and itching of the vulva for several years now, and have just been told I've got vulvodynia. I'm wondering if different pads could help.

------------------
Londongirl
University Student

Posts: 352 | From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was gonna say No, but then i 'googled' it and found this! They're American based, and i haven't been able to find out if they ship to the UK or not.

(That was the first one i came across ... There's a few more ... I just went to www.google.com and put in 'organic cotton disposable pads')

I used to have the same problem with pads and switched to the DivaCup. I LOVE it I still use pantyliners, but they do'nt seem to bother me as much ... I keep meaning to switch to cloth pads too, but i haven't got around to it yet ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Londongirl
Activist
Member # 18235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Londongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Lilbluesmurf, I'll have a look at that search. The company you mention seems to have an option to choose differnt countries, so I guess they would send me stuff if I pay for the privelege.

I've been using winged ultra thin pads for years and am now wondering if the chemicals inside and plastic have anything to do with my vulvodynia. Shame if they do, because the pads were so good from the point of view of discretion, comfort and not leaking. Oh, and whoever thought of wings is a genius (probably a woman, right?)

------------------
Londongirl
University Student

Posts: 352 | From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the record, what type of vulvodynia do you have? Generalized or vulvar?

(Hard to say who thought of the wings, but since many handmade pads have had them for forever,yes, it's safe to guess a woman came up with it.)

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure about organic cotton disposable pads in the UK, but many health food and natural remedy shops here (and some supermarkets) stock brands like Natracare (the tampons are organic cotton, the pads are non-chlorine bleached and have no plastic backing, perfumes or whiteners).

http://www.natra.dircon.co.uk/English%20Home.htm has information about them, and explains where you can buy them on and off-line.

[This message has been edited by logic_grrl (edited 06-30-2004).]

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.