Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » pap smear?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pap smear?
sleepyme
Activist
Member # 14506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleepyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just visited Planned Parenthood for my first pap smear. I had done, really, just because I know teens (like myself) who become sexually active are at a higher risk for cervix cancer. The reports won't be ready for two weeks and I'm a little worried. Should I be? I have no reason to believe I'm anything other than okay down there, yet still my mind is set in "worst case sinaro" mode. How likely is cervixal cancer? Is there anything else aside from cervix cancer I should be worrying about? I know I'm STI free and I know I don't have a yeast or other vaginal infection (unless there is a symtom free yeast infection type thing I am unaware of... oh goodness is there?) but I don't know. I just can't help by being worried. Any advice? I have taken care of myself sexually but I'm still a bit scared.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sexually active teens are at elevated risk of developing cervical cancer because they as a group tend to have multiple partners and unsafe practices. this leads to transmission of STDs, particularly HPV (genital warts). HPV is a leading cause of cervical cancer. HOWEVER, it is not the only cause of cervical cancer.

when you get a Pap smear, the test detects abnormal cell growth. the abnormal cell growth may or may not be cancerous, but if it's not, then it still stands a darn good chance of becoming cancerous in the future.

the Pap smeap is a very sensitive test, meaning it detects the slightest abnormalities, so it also has a tendency to catch a lot of false positives. So if something comes up funny, you need to bellowed up with subsequent tests. Nonetheless, ther still is a chance nothing is wrong at all.

anyway, don't stress over this too much. you've done the right thing, so good job! and good luck with the results.

------------------
It ain't the holidays till I see a Salad Shooter commercial.
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sleepyme
Activist
Member # 14506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleepyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thankyou very much.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
btw, i meant "followed" not "bellowed"
my typing skills are really atrocious.

------------------
It ain't the holidays till I see a Salad Shooter commercial.
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sleepyme
Activist
Member # 14506

don't worry about it, I don't type very well either. And I still got the idea so thankyou all the same.
tantilizin
Activist
Member # 8074

Icon 5 posted      Profile for tantilizin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quick question,

so if i have not has any previous partners before my boyfriend and he has not had any previous partners before me, am i still at the same risk of cervical cancer as teens who have slept with mulitiple partners?

Posts: 43 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tantilizin
Activist
Member # 8074

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tantilizin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
umm.. hello?
Posts: 43 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
tantilizin, likely no one has addressed your question yet because we don't have a suitable answer. The advos and experts here want to make sure that any answer given is the most correct one.

I found this website by googling "cervical cancer risk teens", and there are plenty more out there if you want to do some poking around of your own.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tantilizin
Activist
Member # 8074

Icon 10 posted      Profile for tantilizin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
aww, thnks a lot, i'll be sure to check that out!

------------------
baby you're all that i want when your lying here in my arms, i'm finding it hard to believe we're in heaven, and love is all that i need and i found it there in your heart, it isn't to hard to see, we're in heaven~

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.