Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » water tasting sweet?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: water tasting sweet?
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok, this is a bit weird, and neither i nor my other pre-med type friends have been able to figure it out, but it's bugging me so i thought i would give it a shot here...

the other day i went to a "hot yoga" class - 90 min of yoga in 110 degree heat. it's hard work, people! they tell you not to eat for 3 hrs before, and you drink a LOT of water. you sweat a lot. about halfway through the class my water started tasting sweet. like deliciously sweet and delectable. not like sugar water, exactly, though. i swear this happened.

has this ever happened to anyone else? does anyone have an explanation? a friend of mine suggested that i was very hypoglycemic and that the sweet taste was really the fruity breath symptom that diabetics get when they have ketoacidosis (when the body breaks fat down into blood sugar, it causes this condition), but i don't know if i buy that. it didn't really taste like acetone. any ideas?

em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm speculating as much as your friend is, although I doubt it's ketones.

I think it's just an evolutionary mechanism to make you drink more. If you really need the water, your brains is gonna make it seem to taste really appealing to you. I've experienced the same phenomenon. It's been 110ºF here for the past three days, and water has never tasted so good.

also, mineral and dissolved gas content also influence the taste of water. Well-oxygenated water does taste sweeter than boiled water.

and Ems, that bikram yoga is some crazy hardcore stuff. wow!

------------------
mundi faece repletum

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you ems, for proving that I am not totally nuts!

Back in my glory days, I ran Track and Cross Country. And as anyone who ran Cross Country in the desert can tell you, the season falls in the hottest, dryest, nastiest part of the year. We'd frequently make the "look at these idiots" part of our local newscast as we ran past signs that pegged the temperature well in excess of 110 degrees.

And when we'd finally be able to drink water again, I would notice on occasion that the water would taste sweet. It really was a puzzing anamoly, only happening every now and then, and only happening to some of us. We asked our chemistry teacher, he had no clue. We asked our biology teacher, she had no clue. We asked our physics teacher, he kicked us out of class. Sitting in detention, we just figured we were all nuts.

So it's good to hear that we weren't the only people this was happening to. I guess the human body really does work in mysterious ways...

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," FHOM

Beware the naked man who offereth you his pants.

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.