Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » image problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: image problem
SadSunshine88
Neophyte
Member # 13463

Icon 4 posted      Profile for SadSunshine88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay . . . I'm woried I may have an eating disorder or be developing one. For a couple of years now I have had issues excepting my body. I'm pretty short, round 5'1 or so & I weigh like 105 lbs. I dunno, for my height I feel like I should weigh less. I feel guilty at times about eating. Last year in the fall I started throwing up occassionally. Not everyday, more like once every week or once every other week. It depended on my mood, I think it was partially caused by stress. Maybe I was depressed, I'm not too sure. I stopped though because it was very nasty & I would sit there thinking "Why am I doing this to myself?" I finally told a few people, all were my best friends. One was even going through the same stuff, surprisingly. They told me not to do it again & if I did to tell them. Well, a few months ago I did it a few more times but again I have stopped. (I have not really menitoned it to anyone because I don't want them to be worried about me). I don't want to ruin my esophagus. But, now I'm struggling with how much I eat. I am way too hard on myself at times, & I have low self esteem. I'm not sure why. I try to be more self confident but it's hard. I get nervous easily. I was wondering if anyone has felt this way before or stuggles with any kind of similar problems? If anyone has any suggestions on what I should do or similar stories please let me know. Thank you so much!
Posts: 15 | From: VA. USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eating is something we can very easily control. So, it's not too surprising that some folks use eating -- or a lack of it -- to try and quell feelings we can't control, like our insecurities.

But it doesn't work, the same way putting an infected band-aid on a wound thaat needs stittches isn't going to work. You're just going to end up feeling ever-so-slightly better sometimes from the disordered eaating, but create more problems -- physical and emotional -- to deal with later or sooner on top of the existing ones.

It does clearly sound like you've got troubles with disordered eating, but it also sounds like you can nip that in the bud pretty easily because you know it's foolish and worse for you, and if you look at yourself aand the numbers, you likely also know you don't need to worry about weight loss or what you're eating. You may even know that what your body looks like, per pound, isn't going to have boo to do with your real esteem.

Odd as it sounds, eating disorders are really a luxury. In other words, most people in the world can't afford to have them, both because they just can't afford to be that self-absorbed (not a criticism, just a statement of fact) and they have a hard enough time being able to eat enough to sustain themselves as it is. So, it can be helpful to put yourself in enviornments where you just can't obsess on yourself or your body, like good volunteer jobs -- also a nice self-esteem boost, since they help you focus on the great things you can do, not what you can't. get out with friends, work at sommething you excel at or want to. In a word, get involved in things that aren't about your body or food or just you.

If that still isn't helping, support groups and counseling can also be of great value.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.