Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » dizzy when standing up

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: dizzy when standing up
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I stand up many times I see all these little black specs around me (like I'm in a realm!) and I feel sort of dizzy and not there, really weird. Has anyone else experienced this and what could it be?

------------------
That's Mrs. Rivers Cuomo to you. :)

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, could be a lot of things. Vision or equilibrium problems, low blood sugar, the works.

You know the answer, babe. See your doctor.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
killer_raincoat
Activist
Member # 6610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for killer_raincoat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmm, well i'm not sure if there's something wrong, but i know if i stand up to suddenly after sitting down i get kinda spotty and dizzy. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with me, but yeah, if it happens alot, check it out man.

------------------
"Everybody thinks i'm such a horrible person, but i have the heart of a little boy. In a jar. On my desk." -Stephen King

Posts: 212 | From: Winnipeg | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Past thread that may help.
Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olive
Activist
Member # 8964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That used to happen to me all the time. It was usually when I was walking though, my eyes would be open but all I see is black and I get dizzy. I think, for me, that it was not eating very healthy, possibly low blood-sugar. You should probably go to the doctors to get a blood test.
Posts: 338 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gatekeeper
Neophyte
Member # 9096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gatekeeper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I have the same thing happen to me..
My dentist (strangely enough) told me one day that I had "Orthostatic Hypotension" which is a technical name for "Low Blood-Pressure"

This could be the problem. do your fingers get really cold in the winter, even if wearing gloves ? Just another possibility.. check your doctor.

Posts: 14 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fishyfishyfish
Neophyte
Member # 8121

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Fishyfishyfish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That happens to me quite a lot. It usually only happens when I have been sitting down for a long time though. Accordig to my doctor I am in perfect health (ok, so nobody's perfect, but I'm pretty close). I think that what happens is while you are sitting down, your legs don't need as much energy, so less blood goes to them, but when you stand up, the legs require a lot more energy, really fast. Because so much blood is going to your legs, It gets taken away from your head. That's why you get dizzy and lose eyesight. Then, after a few seconds, the blood equilizes throughout your body, and you feel normal again. It shouldn't be anything to worry about, but if you start passing out on the floor, GO SEE A DOCTOR.

------------------
Einstien would turn over in his grave. Not only does god play dice, the dice are loaded.
-Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang
"Looking God in the Eye"

Posts: 18 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
witch_baby
Neophyte
Member # 9911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for witch_baby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just sounds like a "headrush"... I know a lot of people who get them if they sit/stand up too quickly.

------------------
Once upon an time...?
What time are we upon and where do I belong?

Posts: 21 | From: Longmont, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gatekeeper:

do your fingers get really cold in the winter, even if wearing gloves ?

I'm not sure. I live in Houston. 'Nuff said. I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, though.

------------------
That's Mrs. Rivers Cuomo to you. :)

To Do Is To Be -- Plato
To Be Is To Do -- Socrates
Do Be Do Be Do -- Sinatra

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to what Heather said the causes may be, it could also be poor circulation. When you stand/sit up too quickly, blood can rush to the lower parts of your body, causing you to feel lightheaded. Blood vessels are supposed to constrict to prevent this from happening, but for whatever reasons, sometimes they don't ... If all you're blood is in your lower extremities, it can't possibly be in your head.

My advice ... Get to your doctor. S/he will be able to tell you what's going on and what you can do to fix it

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chinyere85
Activist
Member # 7554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chinyere85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that has happened to me...for a very long time. My thing was that I am naturally enemic, which means I have a lower blood count than most, which I guess causes dizziness. My problem is that I can't see a good doctor (meaning a gynecologist) until I'm 18, no exceptions, and meanwhile my useless doctor does absolutely nothing for me...she tells me to drink water for every problem that I have, and that's it.

Anyway, I would recommend looking at the foods you eat and any supplements you take and etc. I'm no doctor, so don't take my word for it, but iron deficiancy can also cause that dizziness.

And yes, it annoys me grandly.

Posts: 55 | From: Ypsilanti | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chinyere85:
My problem is that I can't see a good doctor (meaning a gynecologist) until I'm 18, no exceptions, and meanwhile my useless doctor does absolutely nothing for me...she tells me to drink water for every problem that I have, and that's it.

You've said this in two posts now, and I just want to clarify something, because I'm not sure why you keep saying it.

A gynecologist, or an OB/GYN, is a doctor whose specialty is the female reproductive system. That doesn't mean they are incapable of other medical practices, but it does mean that that is where their primary practice lies.

Therefore, being a GYN does not make a person a better doctor than those who are not GYNs. It simply makes one able to specialize in female sexual health issues. And with things like what Daydreamer is describing, a GYN would not be the right sort of doctor to see unless a GP determined the symptoms were based in a gynecological issue.

If your current GP is not working, seek out another GP. But not being a GYN does not keep a doctor from being a "good" doctor. And a GYN cannot substitute for a general practotioner unless they are also a general practitioner.

For the record, while I'm here, anemia isn't about having a "lower blood count." Anemia occurs when the number of RED blood cells falls below normal and thus, the body gets less oxygen than the norm, and as a result, has less energy than it needs to function properly. And it can indeed cause dizziness, though it can also be treated in most cases.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 10-07-2002).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ihp
Neophyte
Member # 6321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It most likely is either high or low blood pressure

Posts: 9 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that could be a reason, but i wouldn't go so far as to say it's the "most likely" reason.

a few weeks ago, i was having a problem with getting really dizzy when i'd stand up. i also had some faintingspells. it wasn't blood pressure, though. turned out to be CMV.

there are lots of causes for Daydreamer's problem.

------------------
"Things are only fragile till they break."

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.