Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Health issues and problems with parents

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Health issues and problems with parents
cmfink
Neophyte
Member # 10405

Icon 5 posted      Profile for cmfink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay... so I have this problem of I have an infection. At first i thought it was a yeast infection because i explained it to my mom and that's what she said it was... I started using some yeast infection treatment stuff and it worked sorta, but i'm starting to think that its Trichomoniasis.

I wanna go get checked out about this so I know what it is for sure but I've got a couple problems - #1, I am sexually active and I'm afraid that if I go to a gyno my mom will go with me and find that out. #2, I'm on my parents health insurance, so if I go they'd know about it. Is there any way I can go without them knowing or is there any place that would be able to do checks that are confidential? I know I should really go get checked out but its like I don't want to if my parents will know and get all concerned thinking that I've been doing stuff. They're very anti-sex before marriage so it'd be hard to face them if they knew about me.

*sigh* why must this stuff be so hard for us girls?

Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shiz-nit's tough for guys, too. Many of them don't even know what reproductive health resources are available to them. But here's a tip: Both girls *AND* guys can visit Planned Parenthood for things like pregnancy tests, contraception and STD screening. and the best part? it's confidential.

Does this mean you're off the hook? not really. We don't encourage lying to your folks. If they ask, you gotta tell them the truth. It's part of being responsible for your sexual health, which is a big part of being genuinely ready to have sex. If you can't handle these things (doctor visits, proper contraception, STD risk and prevention), it really is a good idea to stop having sex till you are.

So nayway, check out that url, find the location nearest you, and make an appointmen ASAP. And don't have sex again till you're all cleared up.

------------------
"Things are only fragile till they break."

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmfink
Neophyte
Member # 10405

Icon 14 posted      Profile for cmfink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well thats great and all.. but the stuff about being open with my parents? You probably know that's easier said than done. Granted I'm 18 and I know that I personally am able to handle sex and its issues, but telling parents that you're active is a whole different thing... especially when they expect you to stay a virgin until you're married. It'd be completely different if I was already living on my own and had my own insurance because then I wouldn't have a problem with it, but knowing that they're seeing the bill kinda scares me.

Anyway, thanks for the link. I know we've got a planned parenthood around here but I've never been able to find it, but looks like I'm gonna make an appointment and have them point me in the right direction.

[This message has been edited by cmfink (edited 10-25-2002).]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cmfink:
Okay... so I have this problem of I have an infection. At first i thought it was a yeast infection because i explained it to my mom and that's what she said it was... I started using some yeast infection treatment stuff and it worked sorta, but i'm starting to think that its Trichomoniasis.

Have you ever actually been diagnosed by a doctor with a yeast infection before? In other words, it's a bad idea to try and treat yourself for a yeast infection if you don't know for sure that you've got one. Unless you're mom's a medical professional, she's not qualified to diagnose your yeast infections either. Trying to treat a yeast infection when you don't know you have one (which means you may not have one at all) can lead to you actually giving yourself a yeast infection. So whatever they underlying problem was wouldn't have been treated, and you'd have a yeast infection on top of it too.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate (and Labia Lady)

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cmfink:
[B]Well thats great and all.. but the stuff about being open with my parents? You probably know that's easier said than done ... knowing that they're seeing the bill kinda scares me. [B]

You know, unless you're parents are literally going to kick you out or physically harm you in some way, it probably is a good idea to tell them. Because sex does carry risks, and no-one can ever be 100% protected from pregnancy, for example. If you're contraception was to fail and a pregnancy occurred, I think blurting THAT out to your folks would be more likely to give them respective heart attacks. Just some food for thought.

And also try reading these:
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum13/HTML/000076.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum13/HTML/000014.html

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.