Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Fainting?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fainting?
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find sometimes that if i stand up fast i start to black out, like everything goes black and i can't see for about 10 seconds and i like collapse on the ground, but i can still hear.

This usually happens when i'm tired and stand up really fast? is this abnormal? it doesn't happen very often, maybe once or twice a month or every few months.

[This message has been edited by celery (edited 06-30-2002).]

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi celery, I think you should see a doctor about this, because it's not normal and it could be a sign that something else is wrong with you. Some people get a little dizzy if they stand up suddenly, but if you are actually collapsing and you can't see, there could be something wrong.

Unconciousness/fainting occurs when something is interfering with the brain, so it's best to get it checked out.
*Badger*

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi celery,
What you're describing is colloquially known as a "head rush". The technical term for this is "Non-Cardiovascular Syncope". Here's a site with information about this I get a little dizzy when I stand up quickly too (in choir, for example), but if you find yourself actually collapsing a lot, you may want to speak to a doctor.

------------------
Kindness and honesty can be expected only from the strong.
Anonymous

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
star51885
Neophyte
Member # 6818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for star51885     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey celery that happens to me all the time. It usually happens when I stand up too quickly or if it is really hot. I black out for about 5 to 10 seconds also and can't stand up straight. I've never fallen down though so what you're experiencing might need to be checked out.

I've spoken to my friends about it before and they said the same thing happens to them sometimes so I suppose it's not that abnormal. My mom said it's because I'm too skinny Well that's about all I hafta say.

Posts: 16 | From: Arlington, MA, USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XxAmy2005xX
Neophyte
Member # 8291

Icon 5 posted      Profile for XxAmy2005xX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Celery, it happens to me also. If I am sitting or laying down, and get up quickly, I black out for about 10 seconds. I never fall down though. It happens to me about every day, so I do not know what is wrong or if it is just normal.

------------------
icq number edited out--please remove contact information from your posts. Thank you!

[This message has been edited by Ashy (edited 07-02-2002).]

Posts: 27 | From: House Springs, Missouri, USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orchid
Neophyte
Member # 8663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orchid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This topic has already been answered pretty well, but I'd just like to add a line because I've had a reasonable amount of trouble with 'head rushes', and have gotten a few medical opinions about it. While everyone's experience of this is different, and I'm not speaking as an expert, what I was instructed to do was to keep a log of unusually severe occurances and how long it had been since I'd last eaten. I was informed that their severity usually has strong connection to one's blood sugar level. If you do see a correlation between strong head rushes (especially if they last longer than 3 seconds, or cause you to lose your footing) and when you've last eaten, you might want to look at your eating habits, and make sure you're getting enough natural sugars throughout the day. (In my case, the problem was due to having hypoglycemia. If you think that this sounds at all relevant, you may want to ask your doctor about it.)
Posts: 32 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.