Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » circumcision

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: circumcision
kingmetal999
Neophyte
Member # 8129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingmetal999     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not "cut" and I want to be because I have read that many women prefer cut penises over uncut even though many women haven't seen an uncut penis(In America),they assume.Anyway I would like to tell my parents that I would like to be circumcised although this would no doubt be awkward,especially with my parents.What should I do?

Posts: 8 | From: Nickelsville,Virginia,United States | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
holly8705
Activist
Member # 8966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for holly8705     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talk to your parents about it, only if you are sure this is what -you- want, not just because you read women prefer it. If you are comfortable with not being 'cut' then stay the way you are if thats what -you- want!!!
Holly

Posts: 126 | From: Small town, Tennessee | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kingmetal, while I respect the decision you're thinking of making, I'd like to point out that not all women prefer "cut" penises. I, for example, am more fond of the aux-natural look! Not that the aesthetics of a penis would determine my attraction towards a man or in any way play a part in the decision of being in a relationship with someone. I don't care if your penis is green with polka-dots (though it would take some getting used to!). But I am not one to suggest changing the way you look for others; I think it's beautiful when a person is confident about the body they've been born with. I guess I'm just playing devil's advocate here... Giving you a different perspective. But I hope whatever decision you make, it's right for you.
Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chocolateluva
Neophyte
Member # 8976

Icon 7 posted      Profile for chocolateluva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
they(above) are right, yu should be fine with what you have adn dont do it just cause women "like it" more. although i do have to say that my mother has told me(she has a masters in nursing) that cicumsied is better in the long run, bacteria can develope in that thing called the foreskin over time but problems happen to older men and not that often. that health reason is prolly why in the bible God said every jew should be circumsised...

abotu telling your parents, just stay calm and tell them whats on your mind. hopefully they can help you make a good descion

good luck

------------------
Stuff Happens
Get Over It

The Chocolate Man

Posts: 33 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd first like to point out that the belief that circumsized penises are cleaner is a pretty old one ... If a man is willing to pull back the foreskin and clean his penis properly, there should be nothing to worry about

That said ... why are you so worried about what girls think? Preferences aside, penises are still penises; circumsized or not. I think your best bet right now would be to do a bit of research, and then make a list of pros and cons. Realize that you can get this done at any time, but once it's done, you can't have your natural foreskin back.

Some pages to check out ... http://menshealth.about.com/cs/circumcision/index.htm http://menshealth.about.com/library/weekly/aa010701a.htm http://www.cirp.org/
http://www.circinfo.com/

------------------
*~*Smurfie*~*
Scarleteen Advocate

"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever."
-Chinese Proverb

[This message has been edited by LilBlueSmurf (edited 07-13-2002).]

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a note: one cannot simply walk into a doctors office as an adult and ask to be circumsized. Even on infants, it's actually a very delicate (and unnecesary and controversial because of that) procedure. On grown men or young adults it is even more so.

Honestly, you'd have a hard time likely finding a doctor to do so if you did opt for such a thing, and it would be considered elective surgery, much in the same way breast implants are. In other words, not only would it cost money, you'd have to have consultations about it, and most doctors are not going to be willing to do it if it need not be done (such as in the case of skin cancers).

What sort of body parts a given person has seen depends an awful lot on how many partners they have had and whom. Most very young women haven't seen a grown penis at ALL, and those who have have rarely seen a wide variety. And your average pop culture books on sex aren't a viable reflection of individual feelings at all.

What I'd suggest is that you spend some time thinking less about what someone else may feel about your body, and more about how YOU feel about it: it's pretty normal in one's teens to feel uncomfortable with all sorts of body issues, and one generally grows into their own over time, without surgeries or adaptations. Seriously considering having serious surgery to your body just because of how a perfectly normal part may one day appear to others is no small thing.

(Nor is it usually the right answer)

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gracefulmisfit
Neophyte
Member # 8778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gracefulmisfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The whole circumcision thing is actually a really good idea. The fact that quite a few men(not generalizing here ) forget to clean underneath their foreskin builds up bacteria. Which can lead to infections not only on themselves, but their partners as well. My BF is circumsized, and I personally love it. It's much nicer.

Just my opinion

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with that opinion, Misfit, is that it is medical myth at worst, and at best, partial truth. The assumption you seem to be making, too, is that young adult or full adult circumcision is something anyone can waltz into an office and have done in the way one'd pierce an ear, which just isn't so.

There is not only no overwhelming medical evidence to support that uncut men are more prone to infections, for the past thirty years there has been evidence completely to the contrary and/or that which shows that risks and downsides may likely outweigh possible positives, which is why the APA has made a very clear statement that it is NOT necessary. Again, we're not even talking about in terms of circumsizing adults, but about infants.

I also really want to make clear that I have an ethical problem here at Scarleteen with anyone saying a body modification which is potentially dangerous is "nicer." I don't think that most of the women here would be okay with the men saying that breast implants or labiaplasties are "much nicer," and it's pretty much analogous to circumcision.

I'm not intending to pick on you, but I don't want to further misinformation and I certainly don't want us to further doing harm to anyone's body, especially for the sake of what a partner may or may not aesthetically prefer.

------------------
Heather Corinna

-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 07-14-2002).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Just a few links for consideration on this, from medical and mainstream sources. There are lots of pages out there which are more political stances, but to avoid biases and the like, the medical sources alone provide well all on their own (though it's worth mentioning that several pretty reputable groups feel that the medical and mainstream groups, even in not outrightly supporting this, have a bias towards it still, and that's visible, for instance, in the last few paragraphs of the CNN piece, in my mind):

¥ http://familydoctor.org/handouts/042.html
¥ AAP POlicy Statement
¥ Journal of the National Medical Association 1973: Impotence and Adult Circumcision
¥ CNN: When is Adult Circumcision Necessary?

------------------
Heather Corinna

-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

kingmetal999
Neophyte
Member # 8129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingmetal999     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everybody for weighing in.I have come to a decision regarding this matter,I have done research and Miz Scarlet is right about what she says.Thanks again.

Posts: 8 | From: Nickelsville,Virginia,United States | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Hooray for you! Love your body as it is!

(That goes for all of you!)

------------------
Heather Corinna

-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

DarlingBri
Activist
Member # 5036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarlingBri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bravo, Kingmetal!

Maybe you'll have to do some education for your partners along the way, too, but that's cool.

I know that when I met my partner, I had not encountered an uncircumcised penis that I was aware of, and I was a bit curious. I has some questions (I don't even remember what they were now, to be honest) and he was happy to show me the answers.

The fact that he was confident and comfortable both with my questions AND with his body just made the whole thing very easy and interesting, and I was cool with it too.

Now I'm a huge fan of the foreskin, and I think it's an amazing piece of anatomy! So I'm happy this is the decision you've reached, and I hope you stay happy with it, too.

--Bri

Posts: 848 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gracefulmisfit
Neophyte
Member # 8778

Icon 9 posted      Profile for gracefulmisfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to apologize for stating incorrect info in my last script

I suppose you shouldn't trust everything you hear, woops. (my bad)

I do agree that you should love your body as it is, and it is very commendable that king will be choosing to do that. *round of aplause*

Sorry again, just stating my opinion

------------------
Depression is just anger without the enthusiasm.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.