Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Period Problem

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Period Problem
Member # 8758

Icon 4 posted      Profile for jzk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello: My problem is that I almost never get my period. I'll get it every six/seven months and then I have to wait again for a long time. I'm 17 and I'm not sexually active. I've seen my doctor, but I'm wondering if I should go see a gynocologist instead? Also, what causes this sort of problems? Is it true that this kind of problems can make it hard for a person to get pregnant in the future? I appreciate all your help.
Posts: 3 | From: Mira Loma, CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think going to see a gynecologist instead is a very good idea. Since a gynecolgist is especially trained in the area of womens' reproductive health, and deals exclusively with those problems, its quite likely that s/he will have some ideas that your regular doctor would not.

Glad to see that you are being responsible for your own health.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to add to what Beppie already said:

You asked about what might be to blame for your irregular periods:

In general, the menstrual cycle can be influenced by plenty of things: for starters, it can take up to 5 years until it gets regular, it can be influenced by nutrition or lack thereof (think eating disorders), medications, life changes or hormonal imbalances and disorders (i.e. polycystic ovarian syndrome).

Hormonal Imbalances can - in some women.- indeed later on cause problems with fertility. However, try not to worry that much about it yet. Even if you end up being diagnosed with a disorder or disease that is associated with fertility problems, fear not, there are plenty of new treatments around that assist women in getting pregnant once you want to get pregnant.

Also, if you get such a diagnosis, make sure that if and when you get sexually active, you still use birth control methods and practise Safer Sex religiously. Especially women with PCOS often get pregnant while on the pill. But don't worry too much about these things first, take it one step at a time and see what's behind your far apart periods.

In any way, like Beppie said, a doc (and at that, a gynecologist is indeed your best bet) can evaluate what's behind your problem.

Before you head to the doc, check out WebMD: Topic Overview: Irregular Periods, it has a useful section on preparing your doc's visit to make sure you don't forget to tell her/him everything you wanted to tell about your periods.

~Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

  New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3