Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Are you a believer?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are you a believer?
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has been said many a times that believing in a certain religion or "way of life" leads to a happier, healthier life for many.

Do you believe this? What do you do in ways of spirituality to keep yourself (mind, body, and spirit) up and ready to go? What advice to you have to others looking to follow this same path?

You can read a related article (mind you, it's not exactly related ... this one deals w/ seniors) here

------------------
When mom found my diaphram, I told her it was a bathing cap for my cat.
~ Liz Winston

In a Smurf's world ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, i don't believe this. Well, in a way. I think this is kinda a difficult topic because religion is different for everyone.

I'm not very religious, as in, i don't go to church, or follow any religious practices. I believe in god, but i have my own views about it, and exactly what i WANT to believe, not anything i was really tought.

I don't really know about senior citizens, but i know tons of younger people who aren't interested in religion who are really happy,etc, myself included.

I don't feel like i need that in my life to make me happy, or to tell me i'm a good person.

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i like my spirituality. i'm a buddhist. it fits me quite nicely. it gives me ideas, things to think about. it puts things into perspective: volition, good, ethics, etc. but things like that can be covered in any lower div. philosophy class.

------------------
"And who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am in no way religious, unless you consider using the expression "Oh me god" religios. I have a few problems with organized religion which I won't go into because I'm not a big fan of offending people or anything. Religion doesn't work for me, but if it works for someone else, than who am I to argue with that?
Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucina
Activist
Member # 3792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i started becoming disillusioned with roman catholicism in grade 5, and the next couple years were spent experimenting with wicca and buddhism. i don't feel anything right now. i feel more at home with philosophy than spirituality (though the two, of course, are linked).
Posts: 61 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I don't believe that any religion will make me happier or a more secure person. I know that some people find themselves through religion, and that's fine, but I prefer to form my own beliefs.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC_WillowFan
Activist
Member # 631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC_WillowFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't call myself a believer. I believe in God to a certain extent, believing in certain things like heaven.

Although, I don't think religion is a way of being happy. My mom is very religious (universal church) since she got sick but she's still unhappy and nothing's better in her live, maybe just a bit worse.

Anyway, I guess each person is different...

David

------------------
- I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.

Anne Frank to her journal
(1929-1945)

Posts: 201 | From: Montreal, Qc, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm ... okie lets sidetrack a bit.

We'll get off the religion boat for a second. What about just believing in something ... anything ... like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. Do you consider some sort of beliefs (even like Beppies personal beliefs, whatever they may be) to be important to a happy life? Could it affect your health?

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the belief in heaven and god is important, to me i mean, maybe not for everybody.

The thought of just disapearing really freaks me out. *shudder*

I think certain things i believe in are very important. It keeps my imagination going, and makes me feel a little less scared about the universe and things like that, which are just too big and confusing to get into.

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~You*Know*Who~
Activist
Member # 1412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~You*Know*Who~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is better to form your own beliefs and not in one religion. I myself take bits and pieces from a bunch of different religions and use them to form my own beliefs (kinda' like my own religion)

[This message has been edited by ~You*Know*Who~ (edited 07-16-2001).]

Posts: 252 | From: somwhere, usa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loneliestnumber
Neophyte
Member # 4503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loneliestnumber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spirtuality has always been a large part of my life. I was raised a Baptist but fell from the faith when I was around 11 or 12. I hadn't given much thought to it till my senior year of highschool. I've taken in bits and pieces of the philosopphy and religious beliefs that I feel most apply to me and term myself an eclectic Wiccan to those that need a term.
If your a very spirtual person then, yes, spirtuality can definetly improve your life and make it healthier and happier. If you are not, however, you can be just a healthy and happy.

------------------
"Never knock on Death's door. Ring the doorbell and run!"

C'mon, visit my website. You know you want to.
~Revelations.In.Black~

Posts: 38 | From: Somerset, KY, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justagirl04
Activist
Member # 3824

Icon 12 posted      Profile for justagirl04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a Christian. I was raised one.. so the religion just kinda stuck with me I guess. I am religous, but you won't find me sitting in church every sunday morning. I believe you can be spiritual without going to church. One thing I like to do in the morning, and before I go to bed, is to pray for my loved ones. I pray that God will keep them safe from any harm and all evil. I don't feel complete if I don't pray for the ppl I love the most... oh yeah I pray for my pets too, lol. I guess it's just one of those things that makes me feel better... know that I prayed to God, and hoping he will keep his end of the bargain I guess. I believe he will.

------------------
'Cause I'm just a girl, little ol' me
Don't let me out of your sight
I'm just a girl, all pretty and petite
So don't let me have any rights
Oh... I've had it up to here!

justagirl04

Posts: 318 | From: Oklahoma USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe that personally. I am spiritual, but not religious. In my experience, being religious means being close-minded. I like being able to explore the things I believe without some spiritually superior person (man) telling me I'm wrong, or God will send me to hell, or whatever. Somehow going to a church and having some person (man) yell at me about going to hell for this that and the other thing wouldn't make me happy OR healthy.
Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCagedOne
Activist
Member # 3746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCagedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think any one belief is important for people. And I surely don't believe that everyone needs a religion to believe or follow. I do think that people need something to believe though. Some basis of thoughts and actions, a set of principles, is essential for every person I think.
I'm not sure I could be called a 'religious' person. I haven't gone to any church or bible study for a while now, and I've basically formed my own belief system. It works for me.

------------------
"A wise monkey never monkeys with another monkey's monkey"

Posts: 52 | From: Usually somewhere between MI & FL - currently KY | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rambler
Activist
Member # 3023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rambler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was born into a Roman Catholic family, so I started out there, became an atheist, then an agnostic, and now I'm hovering somewhere labeled "eclectic pagan."

Basically, because my beliefs have helped me through various times, and have been suited to my various life situations (and are subject to change again, I'm sure!), I believe that they've helped me along. I leave them open to change, though, considering how much they HAVE in the past. One basic part of my beliefs now is that, basically, all paths are good ones--whatever you do or don't believe is the thing that's right for you at a given time. So that really helps when it comes down to discussions like this. Also, though, I will say that my beliefs have kind of helped me with the issue of death. Before this little change in my spiritual life, since I was agnostic, I was basically confronted with the "So, we just get put in a box and are no more?" question and it bugged me. Revising my beliefs has helped me to get over that. Death isn't as scary anymore. I see it as a rest, so...I know I'll be ready for it when it comes. That's a nice feeling. That's really the only way that I can say spirituality has potentially made me happier. I don't believe you have to have it, but I do think it can settle some unsettling things a bit.

------------------
rambler
Visit disabledsex.org -- Disability and Sexuality.
Or, find out how to join the teen discussion list
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well.
--Joe Ancis

Posts: 141 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star2be17
Activist
Member # 4769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star2be17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am 15 years old and somehow i don't know what to believe. my parents are somewhat christian and somewhat bhuddist and hindu as well, if that makes any sense. and i find that the things bhuddism teaches makes much much more sense to me than christianity. in my own opinion, i think organized religions are almost like cults: telling you what you may and may not do, and so forth. as for me, i will always have my religion take a back seat to my happiness.

------------------
"Sing as if no one were listening, dance as if no one were watching, and live each day as if it were your last."

So you call this your free country?
Tell me why it costs so much to live.--3 Doors Down

"I think...therefore I'm single."

Posts: 266 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
italienprincess
Activist
Member # 3087

Icon 14 posted      Profile for italienprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i do not believe in going to church and being threatened about how if you do one thing wrong you will go to hell. about how you will go to hell if you put less than 10 dollars in the collection plate.

i pray every nite, and it does help. i talk to GOD and get everything off my chest. in a way HE is a very good friend.

i think as long as you believe in something, your life will be more prosperous. if you dont believe in anything, why live?

Posts: 130 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.