Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Many Teens Underestimate Smoking Risks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Many Teens Underestimate Smoking Risks
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 4 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010716/hl/smoking_2.html

quote:
Despite numerous youth-directed health warnings about the dangers of cigarette smoking, many teens continue to underestimate their risk of premature death from smoking-related causes, new research findings show.
``As long as young people fail to appreciate the risks of smoking, they will endanger their health and create an addiction that they will regret having started,'' study author Dr. Daniel Romer told Reuters Health.

Romer and colleague Patrick Jamieson, both of the University of Pennsylvania, conducted a nationwide survey of 300 smokers and 300 nonsmokers aged 14 to 22 years.

The investigators found that many young smokers were optimistic about their future health status. For example, only one quarter of the youth who thought that at least 60% of adult smokers would die a smoking-related death regarded their own smoking as ``very risky,'' the authors report in the July issue of the Journal of Adolescent Health.
And of those who correctly stated that nearly half of smokers die from smoking-related causes, almost 50% regarded their own smoking as only somewhat risky, a little risky or not risky at all, the report indicates.
``Indeed, one challenge for antismoking campaigns is overcoming the tendency of young people to underestimate the risk of their own smoking while overestimating the ease of quitting,'' Romer and Jamieson write.

Many of the 14- and 15-year-olds surveyed overestimated lung cancer risk, believing that about 60% of adult smokers would develop lung cancer, the authors note. Recent estimates suggest that, in fact, about 20% of smokers will develop lung cancer.
This estimate seemed to decline with respondents' age--those aged 20 to 22 said that about half of adult smokers would develop lung cancer.
On the other hand, survey respondents also tended to underestimate the fatality of lung cancer, the investigators report. According to the American Cancer Society (news - web sites), 86% of people with lung cancer die within 5 years of being diagnosed with the disease. But the survey participants believed only about two thirds of afflicted individuals die from lung cancer.

The reason for this low estimate, the authors hypothesize, is that many young people may either believe that lung cancer will be cured in many patients or that most patients will die from an unrelated cause.

``Decisions to quit are facilitated by knowing the risks,'' Romer told Reuters Health.

About 80% of the smokers interviewed said they planned to quit smoking, according to the research team. Those who viewed smoking as ``very risky'' were more than four times as likely to plan to quit than their peers who reported that smoking carried little or no risk.

Likewise, those who believed that smokers had a greater than 60% risk of dying from smoking-related causes were more than twice as likely to plan to quit than their peers who viewed smoking as a low mortality risk.

``These findings underscore the need to continue to educate both young and older people about the risks of smoking so that they can adequately assess the risks to themselves,'' Romer and Jamieson conclude.

So, how about you? Do you smoke? Do you want to quit? Why did you start?

Let's share some views, and maybe we can get some support for those of you who smoke and want to quit.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't smoke. I've never even thought of it. I guess I just value my sports and breath waaaay too much. Plus, I have better things to do that smoke, such as read Scarleteen.
Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 9 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sort of ... but not really.

I started smoking when i was trying to stop cutting. So i pretty much traded in a really bad habit for another bad one.

I only do it when i really break down and think about hurting myself again. And that's usually no more than once a month ... I never was a heavy smoker. But i have enough second hand smoke in my lungs to last a life time.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I very rarely smoke, and when I do it's just socially. I used to do it alot when I was 13, but it wasn't a good combination with my anti-depressants. If I had one cigarette after school I would end up feeling dizzy, sweating heaps, having trouble remembering where I was (or where the bus was when I was on it), and I felt really nauseus. Trust me, it wasn't your average headspin. The stupid thing was that pretty much the only reason I did it was because it was "cool". Silly, impressionable, little me of almost 3 years ago.

One day I even had to lie down at the bus interchange, on the ground. The coolness of the ashphalt brought me back to the real world. I missed my stop on the bus once. The feeling I got reminds me of when I had my tonsils out and the anasthetic made me sick.

I've decided it's not worth it, as have alot of my friends, most of tehm actually.

Hugs & Scully,
Winnie :0)

[This message has been edited by gillians_gal (edited 07-19-2001).]

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate it when people smoke. My older brother told us that he smokes a little while ago. Now whenever i see he's got a cigarette nearby.

I don't think he really understands how seious it can be to his health. He's 18 and he always says he'll stop before he's 20, i'm sure that's true .

Hehe, a couple of weeks ago i found some of his cigarettes and threw them in the garbage .

Anways, i can see how smoking can have serious long term affects, and short term, and i never ever ever plan to put a cigarette in my mouth.

------------------
...Everybody knows what a store-bought sweater looks like. But man, when you see a home-knitter on the street, it's obvoius, you know?"
-Hawksley Workman

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough, I believe that tobacco is the only consumer product sold that is lethal to the purchaser when used as directed. Interestingly, the Philip Morris Company seems to think this is a GOOD idea! (thanks to Alaska for the link)

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 07-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 07-22-2001).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, we know the risks of smoking tobacco, but i gotta throw in one more thing. a lot of people who smoke marijuana seem to downplay the risks, or just plain don't know them. while THC isn't as addictive as nicotine, smoking marijuana carries many of the same risks as tobacco. inhaling any sort of smoke is damaging to the lungs and air passages. because there is no "quality" control (that term is used very lossely here) with marijuana, smokers can be getting a very harsh product that can tear up lung tissue far worse than an equal dose of Marlboros.

my point is, just because it's not tobacco doesn't mean it can't hurt you.

go figure, you'd be hard pressed to find a pre-med who smokes anything.

------------------
"And who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to smoke, but stopped once I stopped hanging out with my friend who had easy access to cigs (my mom is constantly *trying* to cut back on hers, so at any given moment she can tell you how many cigarettes she should have. Very hard to take any from a lady like that).

I started for a horrible horrible reason. I think smoking is sexy. Yes I know how gross it is, my grandad had emphysema and a trachea, had to take oxygen with him everywhere, and died a very slow long death. See? I saw it all firsthand. But I still think smoking is sexy. I have no idea where this idea came from. My mom smokes, and I wouldn't call her sexy, but...when I see a chick smoking I just want to...well, it doesn't matter what I wnat to do.

So, that's why I started smoking. It's a horrible thing. I've stopped, but I sitll think smoking is sexy.

*hangs head in shame*

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

"Just say no" fights teen pregnancy the way "hey, cheer up" fights manic depression.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
velocette
Activist
Member # 3877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for velocette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only smoked a couple of times in my life. Most of it was before I entered junior high... and I remember I hated it. I smoked a cigarette quite recently and really enjoyed it which scared me. It'd turn into a really nasty habit and I'm aware of it. Smoking just seemed to "natural" to me... and... I know I'll become a chain-smoker The good thing is that I don't know anyone my age (about 15) that does smoke on a daily basis so it won't become "tempting", or what have you.

I say that everyone should become addicted to chocolate milk Or peach iced tea! Yes... more of the latter...

-Veronica

------------------
You're So Disco! : My Online Diary

Posts: 81 | From: Hayward, California, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sillygirl182
Activist
Member # 2273

Icon 8 posted      Profile for sillygirl182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Smoking! Grrrrr!

*shakes a mean mean finger at all those who do*

Okay.. i take that back... it is "ones own decision to smoke or not to smoke" *deep breath*

But why would anyone do so!?!?!? I just dont get it!!

Look at all the risks! How is it worth it!???

I love the site www.thetruth.com it tells the dead truth there! Look at the pictures of the smokers body! Graphic but reality!

There's my two cents!

Silly Girl

Posts: 61 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
y'know, i wouldn't have so much of a problem with smokers choosing to exercise their right to smoke, except for one thing: it impedes on MY right to BREATHE. I am sensitive to cigarette smoke, i have asthma.

chewing tobacco isn't so pretty either. spit if you have to, but not where i'm gonna step!

and which anti-smoking propaganda campaign is actually run by Phillip Morris?

------------------
"And who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All this talk of cigarette and smoking reminded me of something that I think is so majorly cool.

This past hockey season, the team I was on was the greatest team in the entire world. Anyway, the head coach had a deal with us. If we could come in first in any tournament, he would quit smoking. In the 9 years that he's been coaching, he's had that deal with every team and so far no one placed first. So it was the last tournament of the season against some of the best teams in state and we won, as in we placed first. So he quit smoking. I think he had been smoking for 30 or so years. Anyway, yeah. I just love that sooo much. His kids were really happy about his having to quit.

Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In tune with Gummys remark, check out this article on the perils of second hand smoking: Secondhand smoke hits hard

On another note, I used to smoke in my late teens, too. Because I was bored at clubs, because I thought it was sexy, because I wanted to do have something in my hands.....

Until I realised that smoking makes my voice worse and that it doesn't mix well with my pill and that...hell, you just stink when you smoke!
These days, I smoke on very very rare occasions (maybe once a year), if at all. And when you see me smoking, it's usually a Cigarillo, and I have had a good amount of red wine and will regret both the next day.

But I actually do not smoke anymore, nor can I stand it.

And my brother's partner's dad just died last week from lung cancer. And hell, I do not want to die that way.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, but I don't find kissing someone with hair on their tongue very sexy at all. Yuck.

I don't smoke anything, and I never will. I also have asthma, and that would really mess me up. I try to steer clear of anybody that does smoke. It makes me sick, and literally too.

Both of my parents used to smoke. My Mom had a heart attack and went cold turkey. Is that really how you want to end up quitting? I don't think so. My Dad said he quit, but I saw he had a box in his car. I am VERY mad at him, especially since he said he quit. And my stupid brother smokes too. That pisses me off because he knows what happened to my Mom. Crazy kid.

------------------
Useless Crap

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackbird
Activist
Member # 4159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gumdrop Girl..I agree with you. I saw on another message board where some of the posters were talking about how it's unfair that they can't smoke inside if they have roommates who don't smoke, etc. If I'm going to die of someone's secondhand smoke, you can bet that I'm taking them down with me

The biggest ignorant idea I have seen of teenage smokers is that they don't believe it is doing anything to them because they "feel fine." And if anyone comes along with such a hair-brained idea like it's the fatty foods that some smokers eat that kills them and not the cigarettes, those teenagers are more than happy to go along with the idea.

The biggest scare I ever got about smoking was one day in health education, my teacher showed up three lung slices: normal lung, second-hand smoked long, smoker lung. You can bet that the sizes of them decreased dramatically. The smoker lung looked like a severely burned steak that was a fraction of the size of the normal lung. That was enough for me to say "Uh..I'm not looking like THAT on the inside."

------------------
"1970 called. Al Pacino wants his car back."

Posts: 354 | From: san mateo, california, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* Personally, I find the taste of tabacco and cigarettes disgusting, and I couldn't smoke even if I wanted to. But I've got a good friend who smokes, and it saddens me that she risks her health like that. I have no problem with scaring her with stories about the horrible death she could face. Sure, it's her own decision to smoke and maybe I should just accept that and respect it, but I sure don't like the thought of a good friend of mine dying a painful death before her time either.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Bep, I know. Slightly diffcult position, eh?

A former friend of mine used to smoke, too, and I made her smoke outside on my balcony every time.

And yes, I pester everyone near me about smoking, too. Yay for gruesome stories about tar-filled lungs!

Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never smoked and I never will. My dad and my sister both smoke (my sister has been smoking for a while...she's eighteen now) I understand where some people get the idea that smoking is "sexy" Smoking advertisements often picture sexy people with cigarettes. Also, a beautiful man/woman at a bar smoking a cigarette is often seen in movies. Teenagers have been told the dangers of smoking over and over again, but they deny it. They say that they're smoking for the "buzz" that they get from it, but they're doing it because of the addiction. Cigarettes are a carcinogen.

------------------
Ash

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackbird
Activist
Member # 4159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if other people saw it, but there was a non-smoking advertisement running here with a girl on it covered in tar and said "If what happened to you on the inside, happened on the inside, would you still smoke?" I hope it was effective.

------------------

Posts: 354 | From: san mateo, california, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AngelElisheva
Activist
Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AngelElisheva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My tae kwon do dojang has one of those posters hanging up on the wall...it's almost too effective; I want to hurl every time I look at it. My mother asked my teacher to take it down once...ugggh.

Personally, I don't smoke cigarettes or marijuana. I've never understood why someone would purposely lead themselves to a slow, agonizing death, looking like a fool and smelling really bad the whole time. Or, at least, that's my way of thinking about it. I guess I'm lucky in that neither of my parents smoke (well, my dad has the occasional cigar), and I live out in the middle of nowhere, so I really don't have a lot of exposure to second-hand smoke or pressure to smoke. Might be the only upside to living out here. *sigh*

~Angel~

------------------
Nobody knows what you know, nobody's seen what you've seen, nobody's lived what you've lived...so why let them judge you?
~Personal Quote~

You know, Hobbes, sometimes I think the surest sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
~Calvin~

IM: AngelElisheva (Oh, I'm so creative, aren't I *grin*)

Posts: 176 | From: Middle of Nowhere, PA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackbird
Activist
Member # 4159

I have smoked marijuana in the past, I'll fully admit that (unless you're my sister, etc.). I wouldn't say that I looked like a fool when I was doing it. I think one thing to understand about people who do smoke marijuana is that the majority of them are not the stereotype stoner that has absolutely no ambitions in life and have a lump of mush for a brain. Stereotypes aren't always necessarily true, which we shoudl all know that.

The way that I view it is like alcohol though. It won't do any serious real harm unless you go overboard on it. Alcohol is a drug, it can kill you, but in moderation, you'll still live a normal and healthy life. I think a lot of people tend to forget the extent that the drug classification goes to.

------------------

[This message has been edited by blackbird (edited 07-26-2001).]

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
stereotypes and politics aside, however, in the united states and many countries, marijuana is still illegal. so i need to step in and point out that we cannot and do not advocate engaging in illegal activity. what you do on your own time is not our business, but if it can punishable in a court or law (or your folks got seriously pissed at you), we did not tell you it was okay to do it.

------------------

blackbird
Activist
Member # 4159

I'm not advocating illegal activity. I just wish that some people would keep their personal opinions about the activities of others to themselves since they might be indirectly hurting those they are talking about if those kinds of people are here. I suppose it would be like someone coming on here and posting that all smokers are stupid, which there could very well be people who smoke on this boad.

[This message has been edited by blackbird (edited 07-26-2001).]

preciouspinkdoll
Neophyte
Member # 4975

Icon 1 posted      Profile for preciouspinkdoll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes i have smoked it is sorta nasty but i do smoke once in a while when no ones around cause they dont know i do but i only smoke like one cigg every week or not even that its addicting i will say that i only started smoking because i was curious if it really did take away your stress and it does that thaTS why im still smoking its very relaxing!!! Im not saying you should start though im just telling the truth....it relieves me from stress everytime i have one!!!... mmmm i love the smell!!!
Posts: 14 | From: modesto CA U.S.A | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scorpio
Activist
Member # 4154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scorpio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nope i've never smoked and i'm never going to start. My great aunt is dying of lung cancer and i so don't want to end up like her. i'm so active and i treasure the air i breathe, i in no way have any intention of messing it up.

Whenever i pass by someone smoking i usually cover my mouth and don't breathe because the smell is awful and it makes me choke. I don't understand how any one can hate life so much. I mean your willing to smoke so your willing to screw up your life and die painfully? i just don't understand...

Posts: 83 | From: Seattle, Washington | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irregularchic
Neophyte
Member # 5072

Icon 4 posted      Profile for irregularchic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not smoked one thing, nor thought about it. I don't want to regret my past in my future, and i have to make the best of my life since i only have one to live.
Have you guys seen the new truth commericals? They're really true. I think that teens, even adults need to just get over it. It doesn't do anything for anybody, but make a problem. So, maybe it does feel good...for a minute. I mean, look at this. They cost like 2.69 for a small package, you have to pay for medical bills, you have to pay for the dentist, and breath stuff, you have to pay for your life in the end.
I don't know why people smoke, its disgusting, and just like those new commercials, THE PEOPLE WHO SMOKE ARE MONKEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
One Crazy and Irregular Chica
~. All i ever wanted was love, all i ever need is love, but all i've gotten are broken hearts~

Posts: 5 | From: Illinois | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.