Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Braces (for teeth)??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Braces (for teeth)??
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshleyInABottle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ever since I was in about 4th grade, my dentist told me I needed braces for my overbite (not to straighten out teeth, just to fix the overbite). Well, my mom never had the money for them, so I never got them. But now, many years later, I think that there's a possibility I could get them soon. My question is..is there such thing as invisible braces? I have heard of "Invisa-line", but those are just to straighten out teeth, and are not for overbites. Can they put braces on the inside of your teeth instead of the outside so you can't see them? Thanks!

------------------
"I do what my rice krispies tell me to do"

Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the invisa-line. But I got them after the took my braces off. Now I only have to wear them at night, and it feels like I have no teeth, just gums. hehe

I would talk to your dentist about them, he can answer any of your questions better than anyone here.

Make sure if you get them, that you dont lose them. I lost one once and it cost my mom $300 to get a new one.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

[This message has been edited by glitter695 (edited 07-17-2001).]

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If all you need is to fix an overbite, you can get a truly clear retainer. I got that after I had braces too.

------------------
"I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal"
~Incubus

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to wear a 'bite plate' before i got my braces on ... my overbite was so bad that you couldn't even see my bottom teeth. Ickys. But the bite plate is just like a retainer w/ no metal wire thingy across the front.

As for the clear braces ... There are some brackets that are white/clear, and harder to see, but they're also more expensive and harder to keep clean.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never understood the clear braces concept...in fact I was quite bummed out when my orthodontis got blue, green, and red wires and brackets, right as I was getting my braces off

But anyways...it depends on your orthodontis and their methods. I had a slight overbite, and my orthodontis pushed my back teeth back (thereby pushing my front teeth foward), giving me a worse overbite, until he pulled the front teeth back. He could have just pulled out four teeth, which would have changed the shape of my face So see, it depends on your orthodontist. But, I'd venture to say no. You'll need to have braces and you'll probably have to wear rubber bands (bands that go from the top teeth to the bottom to put your jaw in place). You can get clear braces, which are pretty inconspicuous (is that the right word?).

But why not just be happy that you have braces??

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

"Just say no" fights teen pregnancy the way "hey, cheer up" fights manic depression.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angel545
Neophyte
Member # 4218

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angel545     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there is a such thing of braces that are on the back of your teeth so that you can't see them. i know that they are more expensive than regular braces, but im not sure what they would help (overbitie or crooked) you would have to ask your dentist or orthodontist. i had braces from 5th-8th grade and i am soooooooooo glad i had them. they are so worth it! the outcome is great!
Posts: 22 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
grr. i had braces from 4th till 9th grade. oi! i remember the pain!!!

i had clear brackets, which were neatly decorated with pink and green rubber bands -- whenever i didn't break them, that is.

but you can't argue with results. my teeth don't stack like roofing tiles anymore.

------------------
"And who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.