Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Passion vs Love

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Passion vs Love
Sallynha
Activist
Member # 312

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Sallynha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok... so I'm not totally sure the word "passion" in English is used as a feeling towards someone and not only something [as in "my passion is music"].

In my language (and therefore, in my country), when trying to describe our romantic feelings for someone, the difference between passion and love is often brought up.

I think passion with the meaning we give it is like the term NRE (New Relationship Energy) Miz Scarlet once mentioned in some other thread, but it's still something different.

Passion is something you feel taken by, something that seems to take your soul and drop it on a rollercoaster Everything you feel then has either a very high level of energy or a very low level of energy, and everything that happens between you and the person you feel this passion for seems to be everything that matters in the world. Like you were on a glitter bubble drinking champagne all the time hehe (I liked that graphic description )

I would risk and say passion has always a start and end to it, and is bound to be a short/mid-term feeling.

Me and my graphic ideas couldn't skip this one: passion is a like a boat ride when the sea is wild and the waves almost make the boat flip, and is that dark, deep gree/blue shade.

For me passion is what you feel you start liking someone (as not just as friends), those groovy vibes you feel that tell you you like that person. Passion's the prologue of love.

Love is different. The boat ride when the sea is calm and peaceful and light blue, only small waves come from time to time to greet us.

When you're in love you don't feel the feeling has you taken, but rather you have the feeling for yourself, so you took it and not the other way around. So you are in control.

Love fills your heart and covers it in gloss, and although you're not always happy with it you feel fulfilled because in your head what it says is "what I want is what I have".

Love ties you down to someone in such a magical way you don't want to let go (except for when love is gone).

So... was this just plain non-sense? I'd just like to point out I'm not trying to make general definitions of any kind and I was just expressing what those feelings were for me. So what are your views on it? Do you make a difference between passion and love, ... or you just don't care sorting out what sort of feelings you have and just enjoy them while they last?

Any comments are welcome And thanks for stopping by

------------------
~Sallynha

ICQ# 123898306

Posts: 390 | From: * my own little shell * | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eppy
Neophyte
Member # 4254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I know what you mean... I'm in the passionate stage of my relationship right now. This helps me to understand that when the passion fades (And I don't think it neccesarily ever has to), that I'm not falling out of love with him, just moving to a different stage of our relationship.

I once heard a quote from a movie: "Love is a madness, a temporary madness that overtakes you. And when that fades, you have to decide whether your lives are so intertwined that you can't live without the other person." Or something to that effect. I didn't quote it exactly. But I think that you could replace the word love with passion in that quote, and have it exactly right. Cause I don't believe in love being temporary all the time. But passion usually is.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that your definition of passion is like the american term 'lust'. There are constant arguments about love vs. lust

There can be lust without love, but I like to think that there can't be love without lust. Because if you don't feel that deep burning desire to be with someone...that tingling up your spine that makes you feel like you're just a pair of awkward 14 year olds...then aren't you just the same as being friends?

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

"Just say no" fights teen pregnancy the way "hey, cheer up" fights manic depression.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sallynha
Activist
Member # 312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sallynha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I like to think that there can't be love without lust. Because if you don't feel that deep burning desire to be with someone...that tingling up your spine that makes you feel like you're just a pair of awkward 14 year olds...then aren't you just the same as being friends?

So it's called lust

To Pixie: Like you, I also think that there can't be love without lust... but for love to last doesn't mean lust will last as well. At least with the same strenght as in the beginning of the relationship. Let's say in the beginning, lust is present 24/7, and as the 2 people grow together, their feelings grow too and the lust they feel kind of blends in, and appears in some moments.

So, *maybe* lust is the seed of a rose. If the seed is well fed and lives in a pleasent environment it will grow into a beautiful rose called love If it's not properly fed it won't get to grow and lust will fade and nothing more will exist between the 2 people except for the bonding of having been on the same ground once

------------------
~Sallynha

ICQ# 123898306

Posts: 390 | From: * my own little shell * | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girly2499
Activist
Member # 4188

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girly2499     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pixie69:
There can be lust without love, but I like to think that there can't be love without lust.

Like love at first sight. I don't think you can love someone by just seeing them. Later you might love them but its just lust at the beginning. I agree with that Pixie. Lust is fun, love isn't as fun sometimes.

Posts: 87 | From: nebraska, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, let's remember that love is a multifaceted thing. I think you're all talking about romantic love here, which I agree is defined to some extent by the presence of lust combined with love (though it is possible to lust after someone you love but not wish to get romantically involved with them).

Personally, I like the Greek words for types of love- Philos, which is friendship, Eros, which is erotic love, and Agape which is sort of an overwhelming love for everything. I tend to think that romantic relationships are a combination of Philos and Eros, with Philos being totally necessary if the relationship is going to last.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.